Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Assembly Line Pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the 10th bus in the "raised" row could be primer also, looks to be the same flat tone and have the single color bumper and body color emblem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tonny_Larsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is light armatures, it could explain that the pick-up in the front is darker. Look at the floor, it is darker to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonny_Larsen wrote:
If this is light armatures, it could explain that the pick-up in the front is darker. Look at the floor, it is darker to.

I have looked at that, you and ev have a good point, i just cant see light pulling THAT much hue out of a color. That and it wouoldnt explain why the ones raised seem so damn dark. you know as well as any of us, dove is not that dark.
Its awful dark. and again, why the white wheel?
man i love this stuff. thanks for this pic.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tonny_Larsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until chassis number 20-046563 it actually was possible to get a chestnut brown Panelvan - Kombi or Single Cab. Not that I ever have seen one, but.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
http://www.barndoor.dk/colors.html

-Tonny
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any color is significantly lighter when it has florescent lights on it.

Im voting dove blue on all the commercial buses.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
Looks like the 10th bus in the "raised" row could be primer also, looks to be the same flat tone and have the single color bumper and body color emblem.

I agree.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
Tonny_Larsen wrote:

I have looked at that, you and ev have a good point, i just cant see light pulling THAT much hue out of a color. That and it wouoldnt explain why the ones raised seem so damn dark. you know as well as any of us, dove is not that dark.

I looked at the photos very closely and I think the wheel is black but with a glare on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonny_Larsen wrote:
Until chassis number 20-046563 it actually was possible to get a chestnut brown Panelvan - Kombi or Single Cab. Not that I ever have seen one, but.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
http://www.barndoor.dk/colors.html

-Tonny

thats what im saying, then again, who knows how many were made, in contrast to the seemingly endless swarm of dove blue. ( i adore dove blue)
but id love to see a commercial bus in a diff color. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
mightymouse wrote:
Tonny_Larsen wrote:

I looked at the photos very closely and I think the wheel is black but with a glare on it.

i was thinking that, and kept looking, in response to what you guys said, about the track lighting ending right behind that bus.

Note to EVERYONE.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything is/was possible,but of the odd colored barn era buses werent the bumpers solid not 2 toned?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was initially considering that one or more of the vehicles could be Fire Red but the bumpers would be single-tone.

Also, I believe that all Fire Vehicles were delivered in Primer at this stage of production and painted/outfitted elsewhere?
dirtbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonny_Larsen wrote:
I have scanned it in a higher resolution.
Click on the picture.

-Tonny

I have looked at the photo for awhile. It appears that the BD's on the left are sequential in color. For instance, they start with a SC, then 6 down is a 2-tone, then another SC then 6 down another 2-tone. Very interesting. I too find myself searching for some time trying to pick up stuff

"8 dumb guys are smarter than 1 smart guy!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that's a good.. EYE
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, I was initially considering that one or more of the vehicles could be Fire Red but the bumpers would be single-tone.

Also, I believe that all Fire Vehicles were delivered in Primer at this stage of production and painted/outfitted elsewhere?

like the 3rd raised bus in, the panel that looks to be primered, has a black bumper on it. Very Happy
look at the 3 racks of bumpers on the floor there, one is almost emptied, and looks to have a dove/white bumper left, the other is ALL black bumpers, and the one acrossed the way has mostly black bumpers and a brwn/beige bumper.
i love this pic.
someone has to know what year this is, look at the beams... and other small items.... 53?

Look at that white, or light colored panel, behind the brwn/beige std, no vented cargo area.... Shocked
walkthrough, or...pre vented area? whaa... Shocked

Note to EVERYONE.

Last edited by mightymouse on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH SNAP!!!!

the singlecabs have smooth gates!!!!! sssseeeeeeekkkkk!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

this has to be 52... oh man.

Note to EVERYONE.
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we can rule out fancy special color speculation here. if you look closer, youll note that wherever there is a dark bus, notice the floors are also darker. i cant imagine they would have made their floors special flowing colors.
i myself would agree with Everetts idea of the skylights blasting light through in some areas,especially in the way back.

as for year, i would suspect latest 53 due to no site of rear bumpers.
id also guess the bumpers that are not beige/brown or blue/white are likely red for deluxes. red often comes out dark/black in b/w photos.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRONG ^^^ No back bumpers anywhere in the picture.. And the buses have down mirror arms i would half to say that it sometime in 53
Leica356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did the Standards change from Grey to Beige?
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeaterBarndoor wrote:
i think we can rule out fancy special color speculation here. if you look closer, youll note that wherever there is a dark bus, notice the floors are also darker. i cant imagine they would have made their floors special flowing colors.
i myself would agree with Everetts idea of the skylights blasting light through in some areas,especially in the way back.

as for year, i would suspect latest 53 due to no site of rear bumpers.
id also guess the bumpers that are not beige/brown or blue/white are likely red for deluxes. red often comes out dark/black in b/w photos.

i dont think its any "fancy special color speculation", those were colors that were available at the time. 2 shades of grey, and 2 shades of brown, all 4 solid colors. (aside from dove blue)
yet to my knowledge, and anyone ive ever know, no one has ever seen these colors in real life.
Imagine a 52 smooth gate single, in chestnut brown, or brownbeige... thatd be sweet. or any other model, say a 52 kombi, in medium grey, thats bad ass. even the thought of it.
same concept as the pgsg 15 or 23. it was offered, yet how many have you seen? and thered be no reason theyd offer it, and then never make any.
surely there were some sweet ass brown busses in the early 50s. they prob all got demolished... Crying or Very sad

Note to EVERYONE.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_Mccue wrote:
WRONG ^^^ No back bumpers anywhere in the picture.. And the buses have down mirror arms i would half to say that it sometime in 53

This was my thought too due to the down mirror arms.

Trucks are hard to gauge anyway. My 3/54 truck doesn't have a rear bumper because trucks were last to get them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: