Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heating FAQs - BN4 Gas heaters & heating related topics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KPK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Question on the BN4 Reply with quote

I just bought a 73 Thing and am starting to look at the heater. I noticed in the pictures that there is a small heat shield (or something) that is over the exhaust. Mine doesn't have one - is that a necessity and if so soes anyone know where to get one and how much they cost?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on the BN4 Reply with quote

$45 at the Thing Shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=947594

much better price

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KPK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Heater fuel pump Reply with quote

Do you have to pull the gas tank to get to the heater fuel pump?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater fuel pump Reply with quote

KPK wrote:
Do you have to pull the gas tank to get to the heater fuel pump?

No but it makes things much easier.

Be a good time to change the fuel lines too.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.

Last edited by crofty on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fairly easy to get to with the wheel turned, you can see it and reach in. if still have a problem just pull rim off. I see no need to pull tank
KPK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the info and advice.
Worknclassbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Remove the whole unit from the car to work on it? Reply with quote

I have a simple question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. There is a ton of heater info on here and it's hard to filter through. Do you have to remove the heater unit from the car to work on it? I need to check the points/cam that controls the fuel pump because when I put a test light on the fuel pump leads I get a constant light on and no pulses like it should according to the manual. I think the nylon gear that has the cam on it may be shot. What is the easiest way to remove the fan assy? Thanks.
Huntington WV
Member of The Wagenfolks
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove the whole unit from the car to work on it? Reply with quote

Worknclassbug wrote:
What is the easiest way to remove the fan assy? Thanks.

I just posted some pics that might help you at the end of this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352241
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI-
Updated wiring diagrams for the BN-4 heater have been created by Captain Spalding, and can now be found in the Technical Section of the Samba forums.

Captain Spalding wrote:
Update Notice:
Date: 1/6/11
New drawing added - Eberspächer BN-4 Ladder Diagram
Describes components of the BN-4 heater and their relationships to one another.

Technical>Wiring>Thing - bottom of the page in the "Other Wiring Diagrams" section.

Special thanks owed this time to "Speedy" Jim Mais, who created the source document, and to Emeritusx, who helped me wrap my head around it.

Also, here is a related post titled "BN-4 Heater Timer" and addresses a few electrical issues regarding the heater which may be helpful...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445667
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a gas heater be made to work with a fuel cell that replaced a gas tank?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

I don't see why not as long as all the controls are there. The fuel cell must be positioned in such a way that fuel is fed the the heater fuel pump via gravity. If you are thinking of setting up a heater to run elsewhere than in the vehicle, you should take particular car regarding the combustion intake and exhaust, so that you are not burning the air you are breathing nor polluting it with the heater exhaust.
Worknclassbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally had a day above freezing here and I took advantage of it to work in the garage. I got a new (used) exhaust pipe and some other parts for my heater and installed them and fired up the heater for the first time. After I let it run for a few minutes with the fuel line off to get gas pumped up to the end of the line I connected the fuel line and the heater fired right up and ran great for about a minute and then I could hear the flame kind of intermittently going out for a second or two. Then after a couple of minutes the safety relay tripped and the heater stopped. I reset the relay and the heater restarted and was still having intermittent flame outs every few seconds and the safety relay tripped again. Is this possibly because of air in the line and is the safety relay tripping because the chamber isn't getting up to temperature? I'll try to let it run tomorrow with a clear fuel line on it so I can watch for bubbles.
Huntington WV
Member of The Wagenfolks
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
oasis wrote:

I don't see why not as long as all the controls are there. The fuel cell must be positioned in such a way that fuel is fed the the heater fuel pump via gravity.

Thanks. I imagine if/when I get to that stage, I will consult the fuel cell manufacturer.

Captain Spalding wrote:
If you are thinking of setting up a heater to run elsewhere than in the vehicle, you should take particular car regarding the combustion intake and exhaust, so that you are not burning the air you are breathing nor polluting it with the heater exhaust.

I'm not sure if I understand you here. Do you mean running the heat from from the Thing to an external place such as a tent? If so, I have no such intentions. If you meant taking a gas heater and adding it to a '74, I may want to do that if I get a '74. Under such a circumstance, I would also add the ductwork the '73 had and have dual heat (so to speak) with a gas heater as one option and heater boxes as the other option. I have been taking note of another thread that has that possibility in the works.

Thanks again.
Worknclassbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worknclassbug wrote:
We finally had a day above freezing here and I took advantage of it to work in the garage. I got a new (used) exhaust pipe and some other parts for my heater and installed them and fired up the heater for the first time. After I let it run for a few minutes with the fuel line off to get gas pumped up to the end of the line I connected the fuel line and the heater fired right up and ran great for about a minute and then I could hear the flame kind of intermittently going out for a second or two. Then after a couple of minutes the safety relay tripped and the heater stopped. I reset the relay and the heater restarted and was still having intermittent flame outs every few seconds and the safety relay tripped again. Is this possibly because of air in the line and is the safety relay tripping because the chamber isn't getting up to temperature? I'll try to let it run tomorrow with a clear fuel line on it so I can watch for bubbles.

In case anyone is interested, I was getting a lot of air bubbles. I only put about a gallon of gas in the tank to begin with and I think that was the culprit. I filled the gas tank about half full and let it sit for a while to work out the air that was trapped in the new fuel filter. I tried the heater again and it worked great. Thanks for all of the advice.
Huntington WV
Member of The Wagenfolks
nateairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: BN 4 Fuel Reply with quote

I am in the process of repairing a BN 4 and have a few questions:
1. What do I replace the braided lines with?
2. There seems to be a bit of the fan missing and it vibrates slightly. Is it balance able? I had to put new bushings in the motor....

Great thread Thanks to everyones input!
fyter889
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: bn4 early model with reciprocating fuel pump and Reply with quote

a separate pressure regulator. Ok heres my problem, fuel pump inop, got 12v there, has been dissassembled cleaned etc. My question is, does anyone know what the fuel pressure is supposed to be going into the combustion chamber? I am looking at several types of pumps to try to update this unit a little. I see on some of the posted photos in this thread that there are no pressure regulators on those heaters, mine sits just aft of the intake fan forward of the coil and plugs on the outside of the main body. Any help would be appreciated. BTW this unit does run if I manually run the points on the back of the pump.
analogmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fuel pump was not working at all, I had voltage but no click. I pulled it and cleaned it but still no good. I ended up spraying some carburetor cleaner in it and the next day it was working great.
jwillhoit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a someone to rebuild my BN4 gas heater. If anyone knows anyone that offers this service, please let me know. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwillhoit wrote:
I'm looking for a someone to rebuild my BN4 gas heater. If anyone knows anyone that offers this service, please let me know. Thanks

Give Greg and Arda at German Motor Works a call. I bet they can do it for you. They're in Garden Grove. (714) 534-1841
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: