Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball and tie rod boots.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris914x181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to replace the ball and tie rod boots. The joints are good. They have hardly any miles on them. The boots are cracked and dried out from age.

I was wondering if anyone new the part numbers for the boots and a good source to buy them from? I did a search here but couldn't find anything.

Also, can the bushings for the steering dampener be bought separately?

Thanks
1986 Skateboard
2004 7.4L Roadtrek Versatile
http://www.cassidy-online.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

Replacement boots can be found here:
https://www.thingparts.com/search.php?search_query=boots&x=0&y=0

For the steering dampener I think there are urethane bushings available, but I am unsure of the part number. I just replace the whole dampener.
chris914x181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Replacement boots can be found here:
https://www.thingparts.com/search.php?search_query=boots&x=0&y=0

For the steering dampener I think there are urethane bushings available, but I am unsure of the part number. I just replace the whole dampener.

For the boots would you know if they're suppose to have clips on a Thing? Mine don't seem to have any.

For the tie rod boots I saw these from C&C U.K. I was wondering they're any better?

https://www2.cip1.com/c33-s52677/

I haven't bought anything from thethingparts.com before. Do you know who fast are they at sending out parts?

My steering dampener still seems in good shape. It's made by Bilstein. The bushing in the tie rod has a crack in it. So that's why I was thinking of replacing it.

Thanks
1986 Skateboard
2004 7.4L Roadtrek Versatile
http://www.cassidy-online.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

Here are a couple of videos of when I did mine, feel free to suscribe to my channel. I got my remplacements from cip1.com

Link

Link

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

You did not show the hardest part-how to install the clips on the boots!
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

chris914x181 wrote:
Hi,

I need to replace the ball and tie rod boots. The joints are good. They have hardly any miles on them. The boots are cracked and dried out from age.

I was wondering if anyone new the part numbers for the boots and a good source to buy them from? I did a search here but couldn't find anything.

Also, can the bushings for the steering dampener be bought separately?

Thanks

West Coast Metric sells the bushings for the steering dampener. Any luck with the ball joint boots? I bought some (can’t remember from where) but they are shit. I bought tie-rod end boots from thingparts.com, and they appear to be the same crap that CiP1 sells. I also picked up a set from WCM but I’ve yet to check them out. Are tie-rod end and ball joint boots Thing specific? I bought nice ones for my Bus a few years back from Wolfsburg West. Seemed fairly thick and they’ve held up so far.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

The search function that's available on these forums can really help you to find the answers that you need. Here's my old thread on this topic and what I installed instead of the run-of-the-mill rubber boots...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666706&highlight=ball+joint+boots+urethane
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
The search function that's available on these forums can really help you to find the answers that you need. Here's my old thread on this topic and what I installed instead of the run-of-the-mill rubber boots...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666706&highlight=ball+joint+boots+urethane

I just looked these up and their site, gonna get them. From the picture, it doesn’t appear as if they use retaining clips, is that correct? Also, I did a search for parts for. ‘73 Thing and they did not come up, so I had to use the PN that you provided. I’m going to contact them and see if they have tie rod end boots as well. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll update when I get them.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball and tie rod boots. Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
I just looked these up and their site, gonna get them. From the picture, it doesn’t appear as if they use retaining clips, is that correct? Also, I did a search for parts for. ‘73 Thing and they did not come up, so I had to use the PN that you provided. I’m going to contact them and see if they have tie rod end boots as well. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll update when I get them.

Correct. No retaining clips as I had previously advised, and I just used a smaller size from this same company to replace the tie rod end boots. That P/N was also included in the old thread that I referenced - P/N 9.13103.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: