Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

I've been searching to no avail. I found some late model rear-side windows with the vent that I'm installing on my '85 for (hopefully) increased ventilation. Now I'm cleaning out decades of dust and dirt on the foam filter from the interior side of the vent. It's not looking so good.

Is there any reason for maintaining this material? Or can I ditch the foam without looking back? What difference does it make?

Since it's on the inside of the rubber flap, I can't imagine it's to prevent insects or anything.

Secondly, if it does serve a good purpose, is there anything I can replace it with that might hold up a little better, especially while I have the vents out?

BTW - It looks like the scrubbing part of a scouring sponge.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a similar question about a week ago - about washing the foam, and got no real definitive answer - other than DON'T put them in the dishwasher!

But I'm curious, did you get your plastic framework apart in order to get the foam rubber out? If so, how does it come apart?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks a lot like the fiber filters that can be found in an HVAC system. I would say its there to keep the vents free of debris from the outside.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't split the vent. In truth, I figured the foam was stronger than what it actually was. I dunked one of them into a bucket of water and the foam totally disintegrated! Now I'm attempting to find a suitable replacement filter to weave in, though I'm still not convinced it's important.

It filters the air from the inside, thus leaving all the dust and crud in the cabin. Secondly, the rubber flap to the outside would prevent anything from entering the van from that point. I dunno, I'm not convinced I'll need it.

*EDIT - That foam is now entirely gone. That stuff melts like butter as soon as water hits it. I may try some other similar looking material that would hold up a little better. I'm thinking one of those black floor buffer discs cut into two strips, and slid into the "frame" would be more than adequate. I think it would accomplish the same task as the original foam, and it should hold up to a good vacuuming every once in a while too.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you didn't take the plastic frame apart? But does it look like it CAN come apart?

I haven't got my windows pulled out yet - that's next week's job and I would like to be prepared. Actually I will be replacing only one - the drivers side as I am putting in a slider window on the passenger side.

See www.griffco.ca/interest/ and look for the Westfalia link.

I understand that the crud builds up on the inside of the vent because the vent is to let air pressure out on two occassions:

1 - when you slam the front doors or rear hatch, or
2 - when you drive real fast with the front window open Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post went blank Confused [Moderator note: Post above fixed. PSA for future: Just copy/paste URLs into the message box, do not add the forum [URL] tags.]

I has asked 1621 whether the plastic framework looked like it COULD come apart without destroying it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
My post went blank Confused

I has asked 1621 whether the plastic framework looked like it COULD come apart without destroying it.

No, I don't think I'd try it. It looks like it might separate cleanly, but that never seems to be the case with me. I also don't see the need to though. It looks as though you could insert new foam from the outside with little difficulty.

Anyone have an answer on what the foam is for?
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my understanding those foam filled vents are to let air out to equalize air pressure in the van on two occassions:

1 - when you slam a door or the hatch, and
2 - when you travel at very high speeds Wink
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Plastic air vents in rear windows/foam replacement Reply with quote

I thought that I would perhaps cross link these two topics so the next person could cross reference the info in both of them:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7307356#7307356
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine lost all cohesion years ago and I didn't replace it. It doesn't seem to make a difference. No air flow problems, no insects.

Robyn
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

Hello,
The foam on my vents head been missing since I've owned my van. It never bothered me. Then we got some snow flurries and suddenly my rear sleeping pad head snow all over it. Guess I'll address this in the Spring.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

I used a shop Vac filter. Cut to width and length. Fished through with a piece of wire.

xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

Yes! Thats the foam I used in our vents. Worked great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

Does the vent make more noise without the foam installed?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Not that I've noticed.

Robyn
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

I can hear the rubber flap "lapping" at the septum of the inner chamber when windy and I am resting with my head in the back. (Bus not moving)

But I am pretty sure that is not what you are asking about. Since I am primary driver, and I tape mine closed through the winter, I have no experience with noise at speed. I'll ask Mrs Black next time I think of it.

-bobby
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

I just looked at my newly acquired 90, no foam.

Based upon my experience with bees in the rear engine vents, My guess is that foam is there to prevent bees from building a nest and interfering with the rubber flaps operation.

Next time I'm out and see those foam shop vac filters, I'll grab one.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

my friend that i bought my 89 Westy from was deluged with mosquitoes one night inside the van... checked everywhere and finally found they were coming in the vent, where the foam had long since deteriorated.

now mind you, these are Minnesota mosquitoes... second only to Florida Everglades mosquitoes. we were traveling Florida car camping and pulled into Long Pine Key campground near Homestead that said "Free Camping due to mosquitoes" and thought 'piece of cake, we're from MN'. holy smokes, i've never seen such swarms of tiny, quick, blood thirsty buggers. had to abandon after about 15 minutes.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
holy smokes, i've never seen such swarms of tiny, quick, blood thirsty buggers. had to abandon after about 15 minutes.

(chuckles)

Ever tried Alaska tundra Mosquitoes ? Wink You are delicious Wink

Also, I've had NO luck threading in a foam to the outside of the vent, as anything with width will interfere with the rubber flap, at the top hole. A person COULD plug that one somehow, and foam the lower openings. The inside is where I have had success. If you've got a Westy, the driver / cabinet side is quite a challenge with the vent in place. I.E. Best to do the job when you've got the windows out for tinting.

-bobby
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Vent - Foam Filter? Reply with quote

How timely about these windows. I stripped out a 90 GL and these windows are there, I thought about installing these in my 86 Westy.

I also will be installing some type of A/C in the westy. Am I gaining anything installing these late model rear vented windows? Seems like the plan is to reduce air ingress and wonder if worth the trouble. I survived without this newer style all these years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: