Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 181
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andykafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: New 181 Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/100012685262172/posts/1011958699236963/
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

andykafer wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/100012685262172/posts/1011958699236963/

No.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I highly doubt that this will ever be available (especially in the USA), but if they are, I will be first in line to buy one.

A couple of days ago, we were driving our 181, and stopped at a light next to a Range Rover convertible.

It's hard to believe that the "New Thing" would be anywhere near the 50-60 potatoes price of that Range Rover (probably not as nice either).

For now, we're keeping The Well Traveled 181.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just_Me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

That red "new thing" looks like a low skill photo shop job. The tires appear to be floating off the sand
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

Just_Me wrote:
That red "new thing" looks like a low skill photo shop job. The tires appear to be floating off the sand

The photo has been retouched; every single car photo for publication is retouched, but I have little doubt that this thing does exist in prototype form.
I just don't expect to see it at dealerships anytime soon (if ever).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

That is one of the electric vehicles proposed by VW by 2025. I saw the German magazine a year ago.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

Another one of the electric vehicles from VW: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/volkswagen-id-buggy-concept-first-drive-review/

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

There’s been photos and prototypes of the electric mini bus floating around for nearly 20 years now. This is yet another concept that will most likely never make it to production. It’s fun to dream but I wouldn’t get too excited about ever driving it.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
There’s been photos and prototypes of the electric mini bus floating around for nearly 20 years now. This is yet another concept that will most likely never make it to production. It’s fun to dream but I wouldn’t get too excited about ever driving it.

Agreed.
Besides, as an electric vehicle, it pretty much rules out road trips.
Nothing beats a 181 road trip!
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

Mondshine, Always impressed by your travels. How did you fuel inject your Thing,
Is it still a 1600 and did you add a return line to the gas tank?

Used to have Chevy Volt in 2011 for a company car didn't like having to plug in
every time I came home. Too quite, may put straight pipes with resonator tips
on my Durango.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

My Thing has CIS Basic that I installed in the last century.
I ran parallel 5/16 stainless hard lines from front to back for fuel & return. The pump is under the tank, but the rest of the CIS plumbing is in the engine compartment. All of the fittings are JIC or Banjo, and yes, there is a JIC return fitting welded to the tank.
I used the original fuel pipe as a conduit for 12AWG wire to power the pump.
By today's standards, CIS is stone knives and bear skins, but it is dead reliable and requires very little maintenance and tinkering.
The engine is a very basic 1776.
That photo was made in 2019 on my way to Rhode Island on Hwy. 181 in Belchertown, MA. For the sake of tradition, I let out a good belch while passing through Belchertown; seemed like the right thing to do.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...That's funny. Love the plate, I'm looking into the system fighter pilots use for relief.
My fuel pipe was clogged where I could not clear it so ran 1/4" line down right side as per VW instructions.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: New 181 Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
I'm looking into the system fighter pilots use for relief.

I don't know what fighter pilots do, but for me, on road trips, a tank of gas lasts for about 3 hours, which coincidentally is about equal to my P interval.
Anyway, I like to get out and walk around for a bit every 90 minutes or so, just to stretch my legs (I'm an old guy).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: