Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To Dist or not
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: To Dist or not Reply with quote

>I have a 1963 VW Beetle with a 1966 /1200 and was wondering if i could some how change the dist from the current one to an early looking one sorry don't know the right # to quote, the one that should be in a 1963, with the darker rotor cap?

> Can this be done?

>Will this work?

Are Most VW Dist Interchangeable, what will i gain or lose?(other than looks)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

>Any help full advice would be great Thanks Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you could put an earlier large-bodied distributor in there if you'd like. Finding a dark brown colored cap, you'll have to look to eBay or the Classifieds though, because new Bosch caps for that type distributor are the same orange color as your present cap is. And you could probably find an old-stock brown cap for your current distributor too, if you looked long enough. What model of distributor is it your current one? Looks like a 1970 "T" unit. (which is a good match for that carb you have, by the way) You might not know this, but Bosch does make a black colored cap that fits (the 03 172), in addition to the orange colored (03 010) that it apears you have now.

I think if I was going for looks, I'd like a 28PICT or 30PICT carb as well. I find that H30 carb you have on there to be as big of an eyesore as your distributor, actually. As well as the later fuel pump, and the toothed fan belt.

But I should be one to talk, as my 40HP is a definate odd mix - a Mexican 30PICT-1 carb, a fuel pump that has a german bottom and an Italian top (but is still the 40HP screw-inlet style), a 12V generator with the modern electronic relay mounted on top...

-Andy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Andy i will check into the black cap for the dist and i have my original fuel pump and 28 pict carb i just wanted to wake her up from her twenty year sleep and didn't trust the old belt, (get passed the yearly inspections for emissions ) here in B.C. then i will replace the carb , with the old 28 pict maybe send away for a rebuild kit for the 28. Thanks Brett
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a bit of a performance boost, get a VJ4BR8 or 019. Both are mechanical.

[/img]

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my set up so far i will look for the right color cap for the distributor...i would like better match o well maybe santa will bring me one or i will contact you Glenn in the new year and see then what your stock is

Thank you both for the very help full advice
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: