Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'77 Door Vents
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: '77 Door Vents Reply with quote

The air vents at the base of each of my front doors ('77 Campmobile) do not seem to be fed by any air source. What is the purpose of sliding these open or closed?
On the earlier bays, the vents in the doors seem to be fed by the fresh air coming through the grill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right in your owner's manual. Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air vents in the door panel [not the channels ON the door panel] are fed air from the front edge of the door. Look for square slots in the front edge. 68 to 71 doors did not have them. Flo-thru ventilation started with the 72 year model.

BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech thanks, I have a manual but it doesn't answer my question. Rolling Eyes

I always thought that air was directed to these vents when I pulled down the fresh air lever (blue) on my dash. I thought I saw some of the early bays with a ducting channel actually in the door jamb, but mine does not have that.

So, Karl, you are saying that the air comes from the holes in the door by the hinges where it meets the body? It seems like there will be little if any air flowing through there even while the bus is in motion. Is this vent then to air out the inside of the door so that moisture has a chance to evaporate?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
VDubTech thanks, I have a manual but it doesn't answer my question. Rolling Eyes

I always thought that air was directed to these vents when I pulled down the fresh air lever (blue) on my dash. I thought I saw some of the early bays with a ducting channel actually in the door jamb, but mine does not have that.

So, Karl, you are saying that the air comes from the holes in the door by the hinges where it meets the body? It seems like there will be little if any air flowing through there even while the bus is in motion. Is this vent then to air out the inside of the door so that moisture has a chance to evaporate?

Thanks!

I believe it works the other way round...the low air pressure at the corners of the van sucks air out of the slots in the door front (and out of the vents). The vents suck, rather than blow.

Useful for drying the interior of the door out as well (it needs it).
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my '77 Westy I have the door panels and plastic off (a project started and never finshed) and I've been driving around like that. I don't feel any draft so I assume that like snotty said they suck rather than blow.

That said, now that it's getting below freezing up here in Boston it's probably time to seal that up....
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! that makes sense to me now.
I always thought I needed to fix something, unclog some ducting, to get fresh air flow from outside into these door vents, but it makes more sense that they are for airing out the inside of your door.
Although as I write this I am remembering that the plastic vapor barrier that was behind the door panel when I took it off had a channel or passage way in it for this vent. A plastic "ducting" of sorts. The plastic is not shown on the schematics above. I thought I recalled it going towards the hinges side of the door. So I wonder if they were meant to air out the inside of the doors! because the plastic in effect sealed off the inside of the door from this vent.

I am sure the german engineers had some good reason for these vents. I just wonder what exactly they were for.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snotty wrote:

I believe it works the other way round...the low air pressure at the corners of the van sucks air out of the slots in the door front (and out of the vents). The vents suck, rather than blow.

That makes sense to me.
Jamesn71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they provide good airflow to the rear? I was thinking of removing the blue sliders when I replace the panels.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they keep your butt cool. The air is pulled in through the front of the door. Helps to keep the inside of the doors dry too.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamesn71 wrote:
Do they provide good airflow to the rear? I was thinking of removing the blue sliders when I replace the panels.

That is also what I would like to do, as I do not see the utility of the blue sliders. I'd like to leave the new panels alone and let them "bridge" the vent that has the blue slider in it.

Is there any reason that the blue slider vent should be maintained?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '77 Door Vents Reply with quote

I have a 76, so would it be unadvisable to permanently remove the air channels off of my door panels? I like the clean look of it without it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '77 Door Vents Reply with quote

the door vents work in conjunction with the inside front of the door to allow more cooling air thru the bus in summer.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '77 Door Vents Reply with quote

KailuaVeeDub wrote:
I have a 76, so would it be unadvisable to permanently remove the air channels off of my door panels? I like the clean look of it without it.

Are you talking about the blue vents or the channels that include the arm rest on some buses?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: '77 Door Vents Reply with quote

OK thanks, talking about channels that are also arm rests
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: '77 Door Vents Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the door vents work in conjunction with the inside front of the door to allow more cooling air thru the bus in summer.

KailuaVeeDub wrote:
OK thanks, talking about channels that are also arm rests

no. They have nothing to do with the armrest vent. There are four oval openings in that photo above on the door that I posted. There are actually total of ten but they weren't in that first photo. See the photo below for all the vent openings on the front. They allow venting between them and the slider vent. You have to open the door to see them. They also help dry out the inside of the door and help preserve the door cards.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: '77 Door Vents Reply with quote

You can remove the armrest channels with no real ill effects. Lots of buses didn't have them. Of course you'll lose the direct airflow to the rear part of the bus but that's about it.

You'll need to find the covers that are closed off for the ends of the air box in the front. Otherwise you'll have a big opening without the channels.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: