Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Binz Double Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

When I sold #76 no one else could sell a restored one for more than $25k - $35k

Times have changed. Shocked

If I had the extra coin I'd buy #76 back. It's "done", and it's earlier.

FYI, both were Arizona Binzes. Probably passed each other at local shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:

Times have changed. Shocked

I don't think that's accurate, Greg. I sold #148 in 2011 ish for double what you stated.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:

Times have changed. :shock:

I don't think that's accurate, Greg. I sold #148 in 2011 ish for double what you stated.

Wasn't Johns bus a lot more solid than #76? #76 had absolutely no cargo floor when I saw it.

Last edited by campingbox on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

If #76 was the one at competition engineering, It did have a rotten cargo floor. But, it was due to some sort of acid spill or something, very specific rust. The rest of the bus was solid as could be. All of the seams to the cargo floor were perfect also, just the center of the floor was rotten.....
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
#76 ... #114

I can't remember ever seeing both at a show together but it's possible.

John Howard in Lake Havasu owned #114, he got it from Vegas if I remember right but yes, it was in AZ for quite a while.

The current owner is the guy who bought it from John Howard, he's had it a very long time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

Everett- your are correct, I drove it across country back to New Hampshire in 1998 and then moved across the border into Maine. I remember I drove over to your house to buy an early front bench seat for my '56 single cab that I had. Or maybe to replace the ratty one on my '57 panel? Whatever it was for...good times, and time sure does fly.😀
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

I guess my statement was made in reference to the very nice Binz Brendan had listed at $35k with no takers, and the one John Jones took $25k for to move it on.

I'm not knocking the $55k asking price of this currently listed one, just saying how times have changed. My main reason for selling #76 was if I "restored" it I'd be in WAY over the market value. Now, that doesn't seem to be true.

As stated by Drew, #76 was SOLID with the exception of the weird rust in the floor. It's much nicer now, and much more expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
I guess my statement was made in reference to the very nice Binz Brendan had listed at $35k with no takers, and the one John Jones took $25k for to move it on.

I'm not knocking the $55k asking price of this currently listed one, just saying how times have changed. My main reason for selling #76 was if I "restored" it I'd be in WAY over the market value. Now, that doesn't seem to be true.

As stated by Drew, #76 was SOLID with the exception of the weird rust in the floor. It's much nicer now, and much more expensive.

My stomach still turns about missing out on the one Gibbs Connors sold on eBay for less than $10,000 6-7 years ago. IIRC the final price was around $9,100 and was listed on TS for what seemed like forever at $15-$20k. Very rusty, but driving and stopping. I've never seen it in person but as I understand it now resides a little over an hour away from me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

I sold #131 in 2001 for $3K. It has been up for sale on here with some regularity over the years by the same seller for something like $20K with no sale as far as I know.

#44 recently sold out of northern MN but I have no idea of the sale price. I could have bought it in 1991 for $1500.

tlambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:

My stomach still turns about missing out on the one Gibbs Connors sold on eBay for less than $10,000 6-7 years ago. IIRC the final price was around $9,100 and was listed on TS for what seemed like forever at $15-$20k. Very rusty, but driving and stopping. I've never seen it in person but as I understand it now resides a little over an hour away from me.

You mean this one? Wink

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

tlambert wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:

You mean this one? Wink

LOL, yes, that one. It's in Columbia, SC now, correct? Had I not had a child on the way and a home renovation going on there may have been one more eBay bidder in the mix for it. Very Happy
John Clancy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

^^^ I was wondering when we would finally see that one in daylight again.
bugshoptimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scvw wrote:
I talked with the previous owner of a Binz here in South Carolina about a year ago. Does anybody know of one that came from here?

That would be me.
It's #176.

A friend came to me one day and said his parents
Bought some land and there was a bunch of VWs on it.
He said one was a Bus someone had cut into a truck.
There were probably 20 or so split buses there.
It was some kind of shop many years before.
I thinknthe newest thing there was a late 60s bug.
The Binz was the only thing I got from there.
A buddy of mine got one or two busses.

I wish I could run across something like this now.
I went to the SCDMV and went through all the
Necessary channels to acquire a title.

I believe it is the same one in the pic on the first page
With the covered rear and no driver side rear window.

I was at a dark point in my life and needed money.
Dan Kinsey contacted me and bought my rear seat and rear side window
for his Binz.
I later sold it on EBAY for $800 to someone
In California who I believe later sold it to someone in AZ.

I'd really like to know where it is today.

1978 Westy
1973 squareback
1970 bug DD
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

John Clancy wrote:

So did this one still have the rear seat, and is it an actual Binz seat?

I have known this truck since the early 90's, and tried to buy it a few times from a previous owner back when they weren't worth a damn. I am curious if you would share the story about how you came to find it. I know what town it was in, but I did not have the contact info.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugshoptimmy wrote:
I'd really like to know where it is today.

As far as I know Earl in AZ still owns it.
I believe the photo above is when he drove it to Jerome a long time ago
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but what years had the 3rd door pull from the left(right hinge) and what years had the door pull from the right(left hinge)?

swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

Has this one been seen lately? I looked at this bus in March of '04. Went to a semi-private shop sale and it was there. Was not officially for sale, but in talking with the owner(don't remember his name) he said he'd sell it for around 10k. Almost everyone there looked it over but all passed. Some odd things on this one. Must have been one of the last or its not original. Non-suicide door and '63-67 arches and non-pressed bumpers all seem to be additions to the original...or not. I don't know much about the Binz's. With all that said, it was as far as I could see, rust free and very straight.

That's my '62 DC. For price comparison, I bought it in '00 for 4k(sans rack) so 10k was astronomical I thought...LOL.

Hey, anyone have a line on a decent rear gate? I have a single cab that needs one bad. Thanks!

Last edited by swharris on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

panel wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but what years had the 3rd door pull from the left(right hinge) and what years had the door pull from the right(left hinge)?

Dropgates.com says the change occurred in September 1958 and that all 1959 model year binz trucks had regular opening 3rd doors. The 1959 trucks also had different rear seats that had a pedestal base similar in concept to the normal VW produced double cabs.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Binz Double Cab Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Has this one been seen lately? I looked at this bus in March of '04. Went to a semi-private shop sale and it was there. Was not officially for sale, but in talking with the owner(don't remember his name) he said he'd sell it for around 10k. Almost everyone there looked it over but all passed. Some odd things on this one. Must have been one of the last or its not original. Non-suicide door and '63-67 arches and non-pressed bumpers all seem to be additions to the original...or not. I don't know much about the Binz's. With all that said, it was as far as I could see, rust free and very straight.

That's my '62 DC. For price comparison, I bought it in '00 for 4k(sans rack) so 10k was astronomical I thought...LOL.

Hey, anyone have a line on a decent rear gate? I have a single cab that needs one bad. Thanks!

The dropgates website has the history of the Binz as well as a Binz registry, but I am not sure if it is up to date. I looked on that site and did not see photos of this 59 Binz there, but a lot can happen in 13 years as that truck might be repainted or restored now. Thanks for posting the photos. I would love to have a Binz, but I am just grateful for my Oct. 59 seamed gate double cab I own. The owners asking price of $10k seems cheap now.
http://dropgates.com/

If you need a rear gate for your Truck why not buy a brand new one from Klassic Fab?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 39

Jump to: