Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiapC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Hey All,

I'm working on getting my 65 bus back to original condition. I had a TON of metal replaced on my bus, including my air box. I have my original data plate that needs to get re-mounted, now that that everything is painted. I know pop rivets aren't appropriate, but would work.

I'll need to open up the air box and likely use some ball peen hammers to install, which is fine, but I can't find the aluminum rivets for the life of me.

Anybody with some knowledge they don't mind sharing?!?!

Complete build photos can be seen @JackVaniels on IG btw..

I appreciate it!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Try Aircraft Spruce. They have a huge selection of rivets.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChiapC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Thanks! Looking on their website, they show 14 different items when searching for "rivet", and none of them are hollow rivets like what I'd need unfortunately. I appreciate the suggestion!
ChiapC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Thoughts if these would work?
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

The site may be hard to navigate. Their catalog looks like a phonebook and has everything.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChiapC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Tks! I’ll call them Monday and update with what I hear back!
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

never mind the rivets, what a beautiful restoration! Congrats !!
ChiapC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Thank you! It’s been a long 5 years or so. And I’m rapidly running out of money, but it should be worth it!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Who did the bodywork and paint?
ChiapC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Brian Washburn at Washburn’s metal in Orange, CA. A guy by the name of Aron who does work for my Alfa Mechanic painted it and did the bodywork. He was a beginner on busses, but Brian came over and gave him some pointers. I didn’t want a crazy expensive paint job as I wanted to be able to drive it anywhere and not lose my mind if something happened. Pretty happy with it. Both Brian and Aron are going to do some finishing work once I make it a driver. Just waiting on Old Speed to build my stock front beam.
EasyNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Such a beautiful job! Did you have a clear coat over color… or is that single stage?
ChiapC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Thank you! It’s two stage with Glassurit clear. Single stage inside and underneath/in engine bay.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Source for appropriate rivets for data plate on airbox? Reply with quote

Try McMaster-Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/rivets/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: