Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

This is a club??? I thought it was just part of Hitler's revenge on those who choose to try restore an early bug. Wink

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

Not a club but a hellve well built cable and stubborn as a German..I think it has more steel in it that a 2017 cookie cutter..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

I have a Zwitter . Cable stuck. I have been soaking it with various oils since 1982. Front snapped off after about 20 years. Had the rear sticking out til this year. Tried a slide hammer and snapped it off. I put a 36hp with dual carbs , so don`t really need a cable. Even when I ran the 25hp never needed a choke to start.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

Ok without luck, and frustration, I decided to go with the other method recomended by VW manual pg 3 of this forum, worked perfect, except I ran it thru the original choke cable position, and then back thru the interior, next to tunnel out the back thru the starter cable hole.to carb,no muss no fuss I didnt even have to cut cable..cant even see it, looks professional, no one the wiser.
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

This is what I have done for now as well, and like you reported, it’s invisible.

One day I’ll tackle that damn choke cable again...
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

anyone try evaporust on their cable?
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

That stuff looks like it might be worth a shot!! It gets very good reviews. Next time I have things apart I’ll give that stuff a try.
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

I just bought a '59 Euro ragtop with a stuck choke cable and started reading the years worth of history dealing with this problem. My favorite penetrating fluid is a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. The acetone evaporates quickly so keep it in an airtight container between jobs. It penetrates on a molecular level. Way better than PB Blaster or Kroil. I'm impressed by the creative approaches to removing the cables and cleaning the tube. Hope mine slides right out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

Please let us know!!
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

I will be tackling removing choke cable soon since someone cut, after reading post im like sh..t hahaha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

I just dealt with this on a '58 convertible. Tried all the suggestions in the thread including filling the tube with Kroil and letting it sit six months. This is a running car, not just a pan, so I bit the bullet and took the engine out. That gave me a good straight pull at the rear. If it wasn't coming out after six months of soaking, it wasn't ever coming out and there was nothing to lose if it broke. I pulled and the spiral wrap straightened out and unwound, then after getting maybe half of it, snap!! It was all wet with Kroil, which I'd put in at the front where it broke off six months ago. Ergo, more soaking wound not have helped.

My solution:
I'm not cutting holes in the tunnel of an assembled car. At the shift rod access I could see the choke cable tube. It's the first tube, so I took a mini hack (hacksaw handle where the blade protrudes from the end) and cut the tube as close to the "front" of the access hole as I could. The two ends sprung and displaced themselves, which was perfect. Under the gas tank I drilled a 3/8" hole next to the old tube. I leaned the drill to ovalize the hole front to back, then tried threading the new cable through the tunnel -- which went 4' and stopped. I pulled it out and bent the end of the sheath about 1-1/2 inch from the end, so the tip of the sheath was slightly offset. While reatheading it from the front it hit the same blockage as the first attempt so I twisted the cable and the offset end found a path. Push push push and there it was visible through the shift linkage hole. I used a 12" hemostat to grab the end of the choke cable and pulled it out the access hole, straightened the end, and used the same hemostat to thread it into the cutoff choke cable tube. Push push push with the hemostat and the cable came out at the standard place in the rear. A dab of silicone around the cable to seal it at the new hole and it's done.

Best of all, it looks entirely correct unless someone take off a front wheel and notices the cable is next to the tube, not in it. No holes were cut in the tunnel and the whole thing took a half hour. A crummy half hour compared to the endless hours I spent trying to get the old cable out.

If you are here with a stuck cable, I'd cut it off and leave a bit sticking out of the front tube (for later if you decide yout really want to remove it), then pull on the back end until breaks. Cut the choke cable tube by the shift linkage, drill one 3/8 hole by the old tub up front and thread the cable. You won't end up with a car that stinks of Kroil, which is now in the tunnel, you won't need to pull the engine, and you won't spend untold hours frustrated with bleeding knuckles, etc. In hindsight I took a half hour of extra work and made a needlessly and horrendously complicated task of it in the name of "doing it right". The cable doesn't need to be in the tube. If someone wants to take a wheel off or unbolt the shift linkage cover and say "AHA"!! I'm OK with that. Otherwise, there is no way to tell the choke cable is not installed the factory way. If it ends up rattling in the tunnel I can always go back and bore 3" holes to wire tie it.

Seriously, I'm one for doing everything right and taking the extra time to do so. On this job, cheat.
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

Excellent description of how you overcame the dreaded choke cable problem. One question........You kept referring to the new cable as, "the cable'. What kind of cable did you use? A Bowden cable, or the kind commonly used on lawn mowers, or something from one of the usual suppliers. Lucky the old cable didn't break behind the shift linkage access.

Aloha, Rob
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

It is the same choke cable you'd buy for any 53-60 beetle. I bought it from Wolfsburg West. Since the cable is running along the original tube the length is correct.

Be aware the exact length is not critical like on the accelerator or clutch cable because the choke cable has the spiral sheath which is clamped at each end. That sheath is to the choke cable as the tube is to the accelerator cable. That is, the spiral sheath is clamped to the back of the aluminum knob bezel (can't think of better word) with a knurled ring, and at the carb with the little clamp bracket. You could use a lawnmower cable which would connect fine at the carb, but you'd need to connect the knob shaft to the center wire and the sheath to the backside of the knob bezel. Not so easy, but it could be done.

Buy the way, the WW knurled ring was a bit different than the original. I think the original knurled ring would fit on the WW cable but it needs to be swapped before routing the cable. I saved the original ring in case a future owner wants it.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

Good eye, my friend. And a damn good write up.
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

I have recently started the attempt to get my choke cable working. We finally have movement while i push a little on the cable end by the carburetor, my son can easily pull on the choke cable and have it come out a few inches. We have worked on the cable back and forth but it still will not move with out someone pushing or pulling. I will continue to add more pb blaster etc. If I can pull just the cable fully out what are my chances I can push a new one back through?
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

Bigjacksauto wrote:
I have recently started the attempt to get my choke cable working. We finally have movement while i push a little on the cable end by the carburetor, my son can easily pull on the choke cable and have it come out a few inches. We have worked on the cable back and forth but it still will not move with out someone pushing or pulling. I will continue to add more pb blaster etc. If I can pull just the cable fully out what are my chances I can push a new one back through?

Are you able to move just the choke wire or the sheath around the wire?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Bigjacksauto wrote:

Are you able to move just the choke wire or the sheath around the wire?

Just the internal choke wire itself.
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

Bigjacksauto wrote:
Bigjacksauto wrote:
If I can pull just the cable fully out what are my chances I can push a new one back through?

That's what I was able to accomplish on my '56 . . . I was able to loosen just the choke (inner) wire and NOT the outside sheath (it's stuck!) . . . so I was able to remove the wire from the chassis and leave the outer sheath and paint my chassis, then reinstall the choke wire.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Bigjacksauto wrote:
Bigjacksauto wrote:
If I can pull just the cable fully out what are my chances I can push a new one back through?

That's what I was able to accomplish on my '56 . . . I was able to loosen just the choke (inner) wire and NOT the outside sheath (it's stuck!) . . . so I was able to remove the wire from the chassis and leave the outer sheath and paint my chassis, then reinstall the choke wire.

When I changed the choke cable I taped a piece of thin braided bike type cable onto the choke cable and slowly pulled it out to the front, then taped the new cable onto the wire and slowly pulled the wire out from the rear.
What I had going for me was the PO had all the cables pulled and lubed yearly.
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP! Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
Bigjacksauto wrote:
Bigjacksauto wrote:

When I changed the choke cable I taped a piece of thin braided bike type cable onto the choke cable and slowly pulled it out to the front, then taped the new cable onto the wire and slowly pulled the wire out from the rear.
What I had going for me was the PO had all the cables pulled and lubed yearly.

Great idea.
We ended up getting the original cable working. What we did was disconnected the rear cable casing and cable from the carburetor. Then put a foot long piece of 1/4" rubber fuel line over the casing then a clear plastic fuel filter then a 2 foot 1/4" rubber fuel line on the top side of the filter. Sprayed pb blaster in and filled the filter half way and kept the end up high so the pb blaster would continue to feed into the cable.
Then on the front unscrewed the cable from the dash, put a 5/16" rubber fuel line a couple feet long over the casing and loaded it with pb blaster. Let them sit for a day or two. Then added some high end oil from my race car in each end and the cable works great and even better I am able to easily start the car when its cold out now Very Happy
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: