Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of unthinkable... selling my westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumpyveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other one i got of your bus. hope you are ok with me taking pics, you don't see many T2's, esp early ones, in arkansas.

one more of dat ass

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man those are some good shots! nah, i dont mind it at all. it was good to meet another split lover on my trip. the whole time driving accross country i only saw one other vw, a fatchick bug, lol.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to here you're keeping it! The great thing about a camper is you can enjoy it with the family...beetles not as much...anyone want to buy my oval!!??? Tough time to sell.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint that back bumper and the wheels with some fresh white paint. It will be an instant transformation.
grumpyveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ i second that. maybe get some rattle can and redo the body. total will be about $30 for it all, use the cheapo wal-mart paint. $30 for more motivation, worth it, my .02
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that is the plan after i get it running reliably. i work at homie de-pot and we sell fiberglass, bondo, and spray paint so ill probably get it all from there one day. pumping up the tire as we speak so i can pull the bus on the porch and get it ready. ill post pics when i can.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like all you need is some turtle wax for the turtle and it will shine!!
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, yea... just borrow a buffing wheel.

The question remains the same:
"How do you plan on getting this moving?"

Make-up is for Bit#$es... you should get dirty with yours.

Do not be mistaken... I am speaking of the bus here!

Your bus deserves an answer.

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
Dr.Dub13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busryder wrote:
Yea, yea... just borrow a buffing wheel.

The question remains the same:
"How do you plan on getting this moving?"

Make-up is for Bit#$es... you should get dirty with yours.

Do not be mistaken... I am speaking of the bus here!

Your bus deserves an answer.

Damn. You got me motivated to work on mine.
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjosh6070 wrote:
yeah, that is the plan after i get it running reliably. i work at homie de-pot and we sell fiberglass, bondo, and spray paint so ill probably get it all from there one day. pumping up the tire as we speak so i can pull the bus on the porch and get it ready. ill post pics when i can.

It does not matter what it looks like. Get it running, drive it and enjoy it. Fix the rust issues one piece at a time, while keeping it on the road.

Bondo and fiberglass are NOT your friend. Does Bullhead have a community college? I'm sure you can learn auto body work and do it right.

Prioritize. It makes no sense if it's a shiny paper weight. While working on a driver I like to do things in this order:

Brakes
Steering
Suspension
Drivetrain
Electrical
Interior
Exterior (optional)

Doing things in that order make it driveable much sooner than a full on resto and are much more enjoyable IMO. I'm not one for looks though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrexitt
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It costs you nothing to leave it parked. We have to leave our buses parked for 6 months (or more) up here and it's just that much more motivation to drive them/work on them when the weather is dece.
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, bodywork is on the list of things to do, but not on the top. i just want to drive it again for now. this bus needs A LOT of metal replacement. and the fiberglass, bondo, and rattle can thing is temporary whenever i get to it. just to seal it up and give me some ideas on how i want it to look. not permanant by any means. i do know bodywork, im not the best by any means, but i do know how to properly do the work and paint a vehicle. its just too expensive for my budget right now.
if i can get the holes sealed up, that is less sand and water to get into it and rust it even more.
it needs:
both doglegs, drivers door, both windshield frames and most popout frames, and pop outs, pretty much all of the drivers side below the belt line. both rear corners, the metal over the engine lid, battery tray, outer portions of the front floor (if not all), nose, the bottom nose part (that the front bumper mounts go through), both rockers inner and outer, jack points, outriggers, cargo floor, and front frame crossmember just before the wheel- wells.

but as i stated, i just want it driving again, then ill get it sealed up for now.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

KI4MXO
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big bus mike wrote:
vwjosh6070 wrote:

It does not matter what it looks like. Get it running, drive it and enjoy it. Fix the rust issues one piece at a time, while keeping it on the road.

Bondo and fiberglass are NOT your friend. Does Bullhead have a community college? I'm sure you can learn auto body work and do it right.

Prioritize. It makes no sense if it's a shiny paper weight. While working on a driver I like to do things in this order:

Brakes
Steering
Suspension
Drivetrain
Electrical
Interior
Exterior (optional)

Doing things in that order make it driveable much sooner than a full on resto and are much more enjoyable IMO. I'm not one for looks though...

Good idea big bus mike,
And don't forget local vocational schools or high schools with auto programs can help out for "FREE" either with body work/welding or mechanical just to buy time till you get more cash.
Glad your keeping it we are all happy Very Happy
Linda
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the school thing would be cool. i always wanted to go to autoshop when i was in school. it would be cool to help out some kids while they help my bus out too. i caught the flu, so i feel like hell, hopefully itll be gone by saturday so i can work on my bus.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

KI4MXO
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big bus mike wrote:

Brakes
Steering
Suspension
Drivetrain
Electrical
Interior
Exterior (optional)

SASQUATCHACHAUN 09
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: cool another one saved Reply with quote

vwjosh6070 wrote:
yeah, the school thing would be cool. i always wanted to go to autoshop when i was in school. it would be cool to help out some kids while they help my bus out too. i caught the flu, so i feel like hell, hopefully itll be gone by saturday so i can work on my bus.

Cool vwjosh6070,
Yea I work as an engineering design teacher for a vocational school district and from what I hear most of the auto body shops need cars for the kids to work on. While you check it out check with the instructors on adult night courses you may be able to attend if interested. Ether way they usually do the labor for free and you supply parts.
Good luck, nice to see another bus saved by the owner Laughing
Linda
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DownRiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjosh6070 wrote:
well, bodywork is on the list of things to do, but not on the top. i just want to drive it again for now. this bus needs A LOT of metal replacement. and the fiberglass, bondo, and rattle can thing is temporary whenever i get to it. just to seal it up and give me some ideas on how i want it to look. not permanant by any means. i do know bodywork, im not the best by any means, but i do know how to properly do the work and paint a vehicle. its just too expensive for my budget right now.
if i can get the holes sealed up, that is less sand and water to get into it and rust it even more.
it needs:
both doglegs, drivers door, both windshield frames and most popout frames, and pop outs, pretty much all of the drivers side below the belt line. both rear corners, the metal over the engine lid, battery tray, outer portions of the front floor (if not all), nose, the bottom nose part (that the front bumper mounts go through), both rockers inner and outer, jack points, outriggers, cargo floor, and front frame crossmember just before the wheel- wells.

but as i stated, i just want it driving again, then ill get it sealed up for now.

splitpile wrote:
Josh. I am less then 45 minutes away. I have enough junk lying around the yard you could probaly find most you need just digging around.

Get on a plan with the Man, man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sent him a pm. probably need to call him tomorrow

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

KI4MXO
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well got off the phone with Ronnie a minute ago, looks like im taking a road trip down there in the morning, hopefully get the parts i need to get my bus up and running again. then im gunna have to take the better half on some sight seeing for a bit. THEN its off to work on the split!

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

KI4MXO
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got home from Havasu. got all the parts i needed to get the bus running again. got some oil, some gasket sealer, and a few odds and ends. Ronnie was VERY cool, and we must have stood around and talked for at LEAST an hour or so. i will definately be going to him for my vw needs in the future. BBB here i come! now gotta go tear into my bus! THANKS RONNIE!

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

KI4MXO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: