Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of unthinkable... selling my westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Thinking of unthinkable... selling my westy Reply with quote

hey all. it has been a long time since i have been in here. but lately i have been thinking of selling my westy. i love that old bus a whole lot, but it needs quite a bit of work. the pushrod tubes are leaking, the carb needs rebuilding, the tranny is leaking, and it really needs some rust work. i know these things are VERY simple fixes, but i haven't the time or money to fix them. so for the past month and a half, it has been sitting in my driveway. i do go out and pump the brakes and crank it up every now and then. the left rear tire is now flat, and there is spider webs all over it. i dont really want to sell it, but i just dont have the time right now.

im engaged to be married, and have a house to worry with right now that is eating up all of my money and time. but i cant help it to think of it just sitting out there waiting to drive again. i can see it out of my window right now and just feel sad. every time i look at it i just want to drive it, but there isnt much i can do... is there? should i just let it go to someone who has the money and time to put into it? or should i just let it sit there until i can afford to get to it? please throw me your opinions on this subject, id really appreciate it. thanks guys.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T DO IT!!!

I remember your topics. You love it too much, like we all love ours. For sure you will find someone that will help you fixing it!!!
danxthexman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you said man you could fix alot of that stuff yourself. And it wouldnt cost much at all. Get some new pushrod tubes, a carb rebuild kit, and find out where the tranny is leaking and fix it. Then drive your bus, and enjoy it. If your strapped for cash I wouldnt worry about the rust. My guess is its not as bad as some of the daily driven rust buckets ive seen here on samba (no offense anyone!). Sounds like you have alot of stress thats keeping you from enjoying your bus. Make some time for yourself. Invite a couple buddies over, get some beers (or whatever), and do work.
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i have thought of that. and as said before i know its really an easy fix, but the cash, and parts location is the harder part. the nearest vw shop from here is about 45 miles from me in kingman, az. i make about $320.00 every two weeks. bills, the house, and food take most of that up. typical bills, etc. i really dont want to give my westy up. my fiance (sp?) even wants to go camping in it. i really dont mind the rust right now, as i am in the desert now and not georgia. i have a piece of plywood over the gigantic rust hole over the engine compartment, and the floors are fine. my biggest concern is just getting it running and driving again, reliably. but again the time is the problem here. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Brick wall

i dunno, hopefully this is just a passing phase.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just go out there with a brush and get the cobwebs off, it's a 5 -10 min job.

then the next day wash the windows.

on the weekend (or a day/afternoon) off take the wheel off and pump it up, or even just put the spare on.

just a few minutes here and there and you'll be feeling better about it all. you know that if you sell it it will be years if ever that you can afford another (westi's won't get cheaper and kids mortgages that often follow marriage will cost $$$ for YEARS).

have the pushrod tube seals mailed to you, you don't need them today no point trying to rush if there are more important real life things to be done first. when you stash a few $ away have a carb kit sent. the carb can be rebuilt over days even weeks as long as you take photo's or do decent drawings so you know how to put it back together.

don't sell it. you obviously love it otherwise the sight of it wouldn't make you sad. don't sell it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 minutes a day bus time. I lost my business this year and have a new baby. The bus sat idle for almost a whole year but i am making a bunch of progress with just 15 minutes a day. I am spending money too but for your problems they are cheap to get it running and driving.

find something and sell it on ebay to get bus specific money. you have things you dont need, i know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i dont want to get rid of it. that is a really good idea, just do a little bit at a time when i can. thanks guys. you all have given me more hope in keeping my ol bus and possibly getting it back on the road. i know if i sold it i would find myself always looking at others on here, but i wouldnt ever get one as the prices are going crazy. and i wouldnt be satisfied as it just wouldnt be the same. i just hope i can get it going, and find the time and money to do this. i dont care what it looks like. i just want to cruise arounnd in it, go to a show or two in it, and definately go camping again. thanks guys for all the help in this, maybe ill be able to do a little bit in the morning.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

KI4MXO
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget Busses by The Bridge is coming up in January. If your bus can get there people will help you out, and you will also put the thoughts of selling it on the backburner. For Parts i use AutohausAz.com. They are in PHX and have very cheap prices for most things. Also used parts at BBB. Dont sell it man
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh,
I have a 67 westy and we have a 7-month old son...a while ago I was feeling like you, a bit depressed that the bus was just sitting. My advice, try to pick one night of the week thats your vw night. If you know that Thursday is bus night, you schedule around it...and I have some friends who know...it's Thursday, I'll stop by the garage and see what Jeremy's up to.
grumpyveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool bus, keep it. if your wife wants to camp in it, KEEP IT. like what has been said, spend a few minutes on it from time to time. get some rattle can on it if you dare. something to get you back in love with it.

you drug that thing 1/4 ways across the US and you want to sell it? nah.

i am the guy you met in Little Rock during your trip.

aah57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whutz up Josh!! Only if you were back in GA and thinking of selling. Congrats on the engagement.

Need westy parts so-34 and so-22!
33 Willys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Keep the bus? Reply with quote

Sorry, I must take a different approach. The bus is a piece of iron...nothing more. The house, wife and eventually family is your LIFE. It would be nice to juggle everything but sometimes it's necessary to get the priorities back to basic. It usually takes years to get back to the non-basic (read hobby) things but you will enjoy them with family and be better suited to persue them.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 reasons not to sell, the economy is in the crapper and its christmas, if you really want to get the lowest price for you bus go ahead and try to sell it now.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep that. Just protect it from the elements as much as you can. You'll get extra discouraged it you see it getting damaged because you don't have the time/money to work on it right now. That's a cool bus.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it a quick bath and get the tire filled up. The bus can wait patiently until you have time & money.

Don't kick it to the curb. Crying or Very sad
bushaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell crap on ebay and craigslist (and here too) that goes into a paypal account that is bus specific. Only bus stuff is purchased with that $ (and the wife can't touch it for stupid stuff like groceries, etc. hahahah.) I only sell my crap so it's my sacrifice!

If your fiance is into it then DON'T SELL. If she was anti-bus, it would cause way more friction in the future.

If it's getting weathered outside, buy a cover for it, then do that one night a week vw fun night. Once you're married, you'll value that time alone or with the boyz Very Happy Very Happy

hitest wrote:
Even if completed, the abarth's gonna belch spluey all over your Eriba.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
2 reasons not to sell, the economy is in the crapper and its christmas, if you really want to get the lowest price for you bus go ahead and try to sell it now.

and then go try to buy another one when things turn around in a few years with a wife and kid in tow.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push it around to the backyard and put it on blocks, go and turn the engine over every few monthes to keep it from getting stuck. Store it while you re-evaluate priorities.

If five years comes and you haven't done a thing with it, sell it. It may appreciate in value, or it may stay the same. EIther way, whats the worst that can happen to it? More rust?
greg334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh,
All is not as it seems... you have a great opportunity with the future Mrs. Josh.

This happened to a friend, he was so depressed and one day just before his wedding he got drunk over the fact that he had his "beloved" hating his other "beloved". Well she didn't hate the car, in fact she wanted him to get it fixed up but money was a problem. So she said "ok, lets ask his friends to give him some 'gifts' at his bachelor party" and beside the beer, strippers and all the other fun stuff, they brought brake parts, carb kit, new fuel pump and someone even bought a set of tires for him. She also put car parts on the wedding registry. They rebuilt the car together and enjoyed it ever since.
Dr.Dub13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it. I have regretted giving up every bus I have had. I have progressively went backwards in quality because of the market and what I can afford. Last one I got rid of was a 61 Double Cab. Now I have a rusty ass single cab. Keep it. Life is a roller coaster just ride the lows and love the highs. I too have been down on my dubs when I am broke but they always put a smile on your face.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: