Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Westy Turn Signals Ultramega fast!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BearBroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: 71 Westy Turn Signals Ultramega fast! Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm a Type 3 guy, not new to VWs but a relative noob to T2's. My wife owns a '71 Westy that recently crapped a turn signal switch. After doing my homework on these, I soon realized that this was not the best part to break. It is an eight-wire switch. Shocked
I was rooting around the local Pick N Yank and came upon a 69 Brazilian Deluxe Bay (If anyone is looking for deluxe side trim, let me know, it has ALL of the trim intact with clips... what do these go for?). I grabbed the switch from this bay because it was also an eight wire, although the handle was slightly different. I was able to install the switch onto my wife's bus with no problem but now the turn signals blink incredibly fast. I would like to assume that perhaps when the original unit crapped, it damaged the relay (popped a few fuses, hi beams were stuck on, and the charge light came on; after the replacement - all of these were cured). Am I barking up the wrong tree? Where is the relay located? It sounds like its behind the fuse panel against the nose of the bus ...about right?
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to look at is bulbs. Does it flash quickly on both the left and the right sides? Now turn on either and go look at the bulbs. If one bulb is out, it puts too much power to the relay and makes them flash fast. Kind of a warning system that you have a popped bulb. Also, you may want to try it with the parking lights on, just to make sure the correct filament is flashing. Good luck!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you confirm each wire actually went to the same contact on the switch or just match up colors?

If the arm is different does it still allow the switch to move fully, or does it prevent full travel?

The relay could be in a couple of places in a 69 (lucky you, VW was moving things and changing signal wiring in 69), it's either plugged into the bottom of the fuse box or clipped to the top of the bracket that connects the column to the fresh air box.

Fast blinking is sometimes ground issues, but if it didn't do it before the new switch went in there's a good chance it's the switch. I've had fast blinks with a dying switch in the past, usually just one side and accompanied by smoke from the switch. The contacts smear together internally.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BearBroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx for the responses guys. Checking the bulbs was the first thing that occurred to me too. I did and they're all good. It's not the kind of fast flash you get when you have a blown bulb. It is, for lack of better explanation, "machine gun" fast. You can barely see them go off and on.

I also made very sure the wire colors were right. I soldered and heat shrunk the wire-ends, and I was ensuring color match as I was doing it. Never hurts to stick my fat grape under the dash to re-verify I guess. Also worth noting, before I installed the switch, I did a continuity/resistance check on the switch with my multimeter and the switch checked out alright. It clicks nice and crisp in both directions. I haven't had the chance to go out there and play with it since the weekend (crazy work schedule) but as soon as I get the chance, I'll replace all bulbs, clean all terminals (& grounds), replace the relay; and see what happens.
Busdaddy, my bus is a 71. the bus I stole the switch from was a 69. Is the relay in the same location?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever I loose a bulb in my baywindow, the flashers go nuts like you described. I also had a loose connection from wehre the po removed a trailer hookup which caused the same hyperfast blinker. when my relay failed, the lights would just come on and stay on. when my 4way switch failed it would cause whatever symptom it felt like at the time, either rapid flashes or solid lights. have you tried jiggling the 4way switch while the blinker is on? some times gently turning pulling pushing wiggling will make the problem go away, which generally means the platic part of the switch is popping out of the body. if it does that, clean the contacts inside while yo ucan, then push the halves back together and peen the edges back down. a zip tie or 2 is a great way to keep it tight as well.

good luck, i hate this stuff.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was the same with good bulbs. Turned out to be a bad (brown) ground wire connection on the rear light. Just sand all the ground connections clean for starters. My $.02
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 71 the relays are all on the bottom of the fuse box, disconnect the battery and carefully lift it out of it's bracket.

How do your hazard lights behave? Brake lights?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a bad relay. the one in my KG does the same thing when it's cold.
Lucas Grams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "bad relay " problem (which this could be) was solved by removing and replacing same relay into socket a couple of times. That was in my '71 westy, relay attached to fuse box. No problems for a couple of years now. No signal "machine gun" problems that is...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if it's been raining alot lately too, a leaky windshield usually fills the relays with water, not good.

Слава Україні!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real advice to offer other than the emergency flashers have to work for the turn signals to work correctly. Your volt ohm meter wil earn its keep here.

This might be worth reading....

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/hazard_switch_ovh.pdf

http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
the emergency flashers have to work for the turn signals to work correctly.

X2
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:

I'm having the flashing really fast when cold problem, its slower when the cabin gets hot and normal in warm weather. So I just need to replace the relay?

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShane wrote:
borninabus wrote:

I'm having the flashing really fast when cold problem, its slower when the cabin gets hot and normal in warm weather. So I just need to replace the relay?

Most likely, the flash timing is based on how fast a bimetal strip heats up, if a new relay doesn't help it's always good to have a spare. Shure yours isn't full of water too? ice would limit the travel of the contacts.

Слава Україні!
BearBroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help all of you. You will keep me very busy this weekend with stuff to check. Just so happens, it's been relatively cold the last couple of days, the windshield seal is a fossil and does leak a bit so it wouldn't surprise me if the relay is full of H20, the bus had a hitch I removed about a year ago but the trailer wiring is still there, I have not checked the grounds yet since they were working fine (time to check them anyhow I guess), and I have not checked the Tsignals/brake lights/flashers at the same time. I'll root around this weekend and see what I find. Keep you posted. Thnx again!.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: