Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat exchangers
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Heat exchangers Reply with quote

Would it be a bad Idea to just not connect the hoses that go from the heat exchangers to the heater channels? I don't need the heat due to it being a summer ride only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the connecting hose and plug the inlets and you should be fine.

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of the cheap price fades away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... the heat exchangers (fresh air) always have air flow throught hem with the engine running, regardless if they are turned on or off. If you plug the inlets, they'll run hotter than they should. Just leave them connected to the fan shroud, but shut off and remove the pipes to the body if you wish, you can leave the heater cables unhooked too.

With the boxes shut off, but the air hoses connected, there will be air moving through them and exiting here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely leave the HEs connected to the fan shroud air tubes. Not doing so will result in 30 F higher oil temps due to the exhaust gases not being cooled in the HEs and causing back pressure against # 1 & 3 cylinders.
Better to have heat even if it is a Summer driver. Have been a bit too cold in Summer and having heat is sooo nice to take the chill off.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pic I think I get it now. I think fresh air comes in through the front of the car by the master cylinder and runs through the heater channels then through the hoses from the heater channel to the heat exchangers but I could be wrong. We have only had the car for a few weeks now (1965)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually heat goes in reverse direction.
Slow6t5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have holes by your MC, you have problems.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think he is referring to the heat outlets on the floor in front of the doors not AT the master cylinder. Heat also comes from the rear to the windshield.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I or most everyone else misunderstood what the OP was referring to based on the replies. If I understood correctly you were referring to the large plastic hoses by the transaxle. Removing these would in no way cause you any ill effects. I also suggested you plug the inlets, these being the ones to the heater channels in the body. The small foil hoses from your fan shroud to your heat exchangers would of course need to stay in place. I sometimes forget to consider and preemptively address every possible scenario where someone can find a way to misconstrue the information given.

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of the cheap price fades away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good results with blocked fan shroud outputs, blocked rear engine tin holes, no heater boxes, a header, and blocked heater channel (back seat footwell) inputs.

I do have fabricated replacement tin underneath my cylinder pushrod area, and deck lid vents. Car runs 185 F (oil temp) in the summer, and a little too cool in the fall. Results over ten years' part-time driving.

YMMV, of course.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you ditch the heater boxes, then of course, plug off the fan shroud outlets. But with the heater boxes still on the engine, leave the hoses hooked up.

I did misunderstand where it was said to block the heater inlets, I was thinking inlet on the engine, not the body. Yes plug those off if you remove the hoses.

EA812 wrote:

I think fresh air comes in through the front of the car by the master cylinder and runs through the heater channels then through the hoses from the heater channel to the heat exchangers but I could be wrong. We have only had the car for a few weeks now (1965)

Actually, there is no "fresh" outside air in the heater system in 1965. All of the air coming out of the vents are heated air blown from back to front from the engine. And all of that air comes from the cooling fan of the engine and is sucked in the vents below the rear window.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: