Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DJ-code WBX engine technical specifications
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: DJ-code WBX engine technical specifications Reply with quote

The gentleman from whom I bought my engine sent me technical specs for the mysterious and marvelous DJ-code WBX. I know there's been some interest in the "secrets" (higher compression, different ECU, timing, maybe others?) behind the higher power output as it would be useful to apply them to a WBX during rebuild. I'm posting it here both for future reference and analysis.

Please keep in mind these apply to DJ-code WBX running the original DJ-code harness and ECU, which is different from 2.1l MV and 1.9l DH WBX.

DJ Engine - 2.1l Waterboxer - FI
Technical Specifications

Vehicle Identification

capacity: 2109cc
mumber of cylinders/type: 4/overhead valve
production run: 2/1985 - 10/1992
output: 82kW - 112bhp DIN @4800 RPM
torque: 174Nm - 128 lb-ft @2800 RPM
bore: 94 mm
stroke: 76 mm
compression ratio: 10.5:1
minimum octane: 98 RON - 93 (R+M)/2
ignition type: transistorized hall effect
trigger location: distributor
fuel system: Bosch Digijet Injection
type: multi-point fuel injection - intermittient
air metering: flow

Valve timing at 1mm lift in degrees

inlet open: 10 BTDC
inlet close: 48 ABDC
exhaust open: 50 BBDC
exhaust close: 0 ATDC

Valve dimensions

inlet diameter: 40 mm
exhaust diameter: 34mm

Tuning and Emission

ignition coil supply voltage: 11v
primary resistance: coil green label .5 - .8 ohm - coil grey label: .6 - .8 ohm
secondary ressistance: coil green label 2400 - 3500 ohm - coil grey label: 6900 - 8500 ohm
firing order: 1 - 4 - 3 - 2
distributor part number: Bosch 0 237 022 054
ignition timing: 10 +/- 1 BTDC @ 800 RPM without vacuum (see note)
ignition advance checks: 0 - 2 @ 1050 RPM w/o vacuum and basic timing
2 - 6 @1300 RPM w/o vacuum and basic timing
12 - 16 @2400 RPM w/o vacumm and basic timing
vacuum advance range: 12 - 16 engine degrees (9-11)
idle speed: 800 +/- 50 RPM
oil temp for CO test: 80C - 176F
CO content @ idle: 2 +/- .5 % volume
HC content @ idle: 300 ppm

Service checks and adjustments

spark plugs: Bosch W5DCO / W7CCO
electrode gap: .7mm
valve clearance: hydraulic
compression: 11 - 14 bar (150 psi - 195 psi)
oil pressure: 2 bar @ 2000 rpm @ 80C/176F

Lubricants and capacities

engine oil: 10w30 (sf)
oil capacity with filter: 4.5 litres
gearbox oil: 80W - 90W
gearbox oil capacity: 3 litres (Syncro 4.5 litres)
autobox oil grade: Dexron (final drive 90W)
autobox oil capacity: 3 litres

Notes

When setting ignition timing on vehicles with DIS (digital idle stabilisation) the two connectors of the DIS unit must be removed and plugged together.

Disconnect engine crankcase breather and plug on side of air cleaner.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a complete DJ harness, dist. , and ECU if anyone is interested in experimenting. $250
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the DJ set up have any kind of knock detector? I would think that you would need something if you were running a 10.5:1 compression ratio.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Does the DJ set up have any kind of knock detector? I would think that you would need something if you were running a 10.5:1 compression ratio.

No knock sensor used or needed if you use the specified octane fuel.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running a DJ in my Vangon for the last two years. It is indeed a very impressive engine - powerful and economical, while still being a wassserboxer (which I like). Even though it has a 10.3:1 CR it runs happily on mid-grade 89 octane fuel. This is with the standard Digifant system from the MV code 2.1. With the european Digijet system it detonates lightly on mid grade and seems okay with 92 octane. The general rule regarding compression ratios is that anything above about 9.5:1 needs a knock sensor ignition to run safely on today's fuels. I verified this in high school when I put a 10:1 GTI engine in my 84 Scirocco without a knock sensor. That car would run without detonation (and very strongly I might add) until the engine got hot. Then it would detonate. You could mitigate things by retarding the distributor timing, but this took away a lot of low end torque. The DJ runs happily with the MV Digifant system probably because of the fairly conservative ignition advance curve. So, yes it is a viable engine to run without a knock sensor, but in my experience the margin of safety is only there when running in conjunction with Digifant.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Mr. Tencentlife the WBX combustion chamber is a bit more ressistant to knock. I've only used super unleaded in my DJ since I don't mind the few dollars per tank extra.

I recently drove my Westy on a 1900 mile trip and averaged 18 mpg cruising at 70mph (verified speed with GPS) with about 750lbs of people and luggage on board. If I slow down to around 60 I'll get a little over 20mpg, but it just does not want to go that slow.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
According to Mr. Tencentlife the WBX combustion chamber is a bit more ressistant to knock. I've only used super unleaded in my DJ since I don't mind the few dollars per tank extra.

I recently drove my Westy on a 1900 mile trip and averaged 18 mpg cruising at 70mph (verified speed with GPS) with about 750lbs of people and luggage on board. If I slow down to around 60 I'll get a little over 20mpg, but it just does not want to go that slow.

Just out of curiosity, is your Vanagon a 4 speed or an automatic? Also, are you running it with the euro Digijet system or Digifant? Mine is mounted in an 88 Wolfsburg Edition 4 speed. On a trip to Glacier Park I got anywhere from 20.5 mpg at 70+ into a headwind, to 25.5 mpg touring around the park at a steady 55-60 mph. At any rate, good mileage!

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrosimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a brand new DJ running a totally stock digijet fuel injection system.

I run her on Shell V max 98-ron unleaded.
She runs very well and on a recent dyno run gave 105bhp running alternator, waterpump and power steering compared to VW bare 112bhp.
We just completed a 3500 mile trip across Europe to the Isle of Corsica. She averaged 24.7mpg, with a heavy camper, syncro, 16" wheels and a factory hightop. This was with motorway cruising at 70mph.

She pinks or detonates rarely, on slow third gear hills with a bit too much lugging, but I am not sure what I can do about that.

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these specs are right here for those who'd like to compare:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/enginedata/engine.htm

The DJ and MV use the identical cam and heads, so the big diff internally is the pistons (shallow dishes, about 35cc if I recall). The independent ignition apparently has a much more aggressive advance curve as David's experiments show, but although the advance specs are there for the DJ it's hard to compare because the Digifant timing maps aren't available. That leaves the Digijet ECU, so what I'd like to know is the P/N on those DJ ECU's to see if they're different from the DH brain.

Oh, no lambda either.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
MrPolak wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is your Vanagon a 4 speed or an automatic? Also, are you running it with the euro Digijet system or Digifant? Mine is mounted in an 88 Wolfsburg Edition 4 speed. On a trip to Glacier Park I got anywhere from 20.5 mpg at 70+ into a headwind, to 25.5 mpg touring around the park at a steady 55-60 mph. At any rate, good mileage!

David

Mine is a 4-speed with the Euro Digijet harness and ECU. I'm also using a separate Lambda ECU, so the engine does have a catalytic converter and an oxygen sensor. This secondary ECU is by a company called HJS, and is apparently used on some other engines in the VW family to provide the emissions control capability.

You are getting great mileage indeed! I still have some fine-tuning to do, so maybe I'll see higher numbers then.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
All these specs are right here for those who'd like to compare:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/enginedata/engine.htm

The DJ and MV use the identical cam and heads, so the big diff internally is the pistons (shallow dishes, about 35cc if I recall). The independent ignition apparently has a much more aggressive advance curve as David's experiments show, but although the advance specs are there for the DJ it's hard to compare because the Digifant timing maps aren't available. That leaves the Digijet ECU, so what I'd like to know is the P/N on those DJ ECU's to see if they're different from the DH brain.

Oh, no lambda either.

The DJ-code ECU part number is 025 906 021E. DH ECU is 025 906 021F, as you know.

I'd like to cross-reference the distributor part number with US DH engine, but so far I see that it is a unique part from MV and 1.9l DG as well. Ignition coil and starter have unique part numbers also.

Does anyone know if the connecting rods are same as MV engines?
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrosimon wrote:
I have a brand new DJ running a totally stock digijet fuel injection system.

I run her on Shell V max 98-ron unleaded.
She runs very well and on a recent dyno run gave 105bhp running alternator, waterpump and power steering compared to VW bare 112bhp.
We just completed a 3500 mile trip across Europe to the Isle of Corsica. She averaged 24.7mpg, with a heavy camper, syncro, 16" wheels and a factory hightop. This was with motorway cruising at 70mph.

She pinks or detonates rarely, on slow third gear hills with a bit too much lugging, but I am not sure what I can do about that.

Sweet looking T3!

24.7 MPG is in imperial gallons, correct? Even so those are great numbers for a hightop.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:

The DJ-code ECU part number is 025 906 021E. DH ECU is 025 906 021F, as you know.

I'd like to cross-reference the distributor part number with US DH engine, but so far I see that it is a unique part from MV and 1.9l DG as well. Ignition coil and starter have unique part numbers also.

Does anyone know if the connecting rods are same as MV engines?

Bore and stroke are the same as MV, so it's safe to presume that crank, rods, cylinders are going to be identical. I know the cam, heads, valvetrain are all the same. The only part of the engine proper that differs is the pistons. Having seen pics of the DJ piston tops, and comparing them to DH 1.9 slugs, the dishes appear to be very similar, but the compression height would have to change. Perhaps what they basically are is DH pistons with the comp height at 36.7mm, same as a 2.1 MV, instead of 40.2, which is what a DH would have.

Also, presumably the rod bolts are the late type, the stretch bolts that are known for fatigue failure. Something to watch for. If anyone has a DJ apart, it would be good to find this out.

The rest is all engine control. So of course it's got a different distributor, I knew that had to be the case, but the different coil is news. Is the starter P/N different from the 2.1 unit? If so, then there are three starters available. It would be wound for more torque to turn the higher compression engine, so might be a nice thing to get your hands on.

Thanks for the P/N's on the ECU's, both of them. i don't have a DH ECU around to check. I had hoped to find those numbers in the Brickyard spec pages, but that data isn't included.

D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

Also, presumably the rod bolts are the late type, the stretch bolts that are known for fatigue failure. Something to watch for. If anyone has a DJ apart, it would be good to find this out.

Hi Chris,

I have mine apart right now as we speak. It definitely has the same stretch style rod bolts. I think that was a running change VW made to the entire wbx lineup from Fall of 1985 production. In the same way that the late (86-90) european 1.9s have the updated case of the 2.1, I'd be willing to bet even the late 1.9s have stretch bolts.

David
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya David. Since there is only one rod used on all the production wbx's (Oettinger might have went a different way) and VW decided that the stretch bolts had some advantage, it would stand to reason that once they began using them in any of the engines, they would have just used them in all of them. So I guess the admonition about hi-miles US-spec 2.1's probably ought to extend to all wbx's built after '85.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know a source for DJ code pistons?
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Anyone know a source for DJ code pistons?

Sure... look here:

http://www.ahnendorp.com/wasserboxer-1.html

719.36 euros, which is about $1000 at current exchange rates. You can find them cheaper at ebay.de.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some interesting specs regarding fuel consumption for the DJ code engine from a technical article published by Motortechnishe Zeitschrift in April of 1985.

Urban consumption: 18.6 mpg
At steady 50 mph: 26.1 mpg
At steady 75 mph: 17.7 mpg
Top speed: 93 mph
0-50 mph: 10.3 seconds

For comparison the article compares it to the predecessor engine to the DJ, the 90 hp 1.9 with Digijet that was only used in 83-83 Caravelle Carats AFAIK.

Urban Consumption: 15.5 mpg
At steady 50 mph: 23.6 mpg
At steady 75 mph: 16.2 mpg
Top Speed: 86 mph
0-50 mph: 12.9 seconds.

These test figures pertain to vehicles with 5 speed manual transmissions. There is a footnote that indicates the urban consumption for the DJ was achieved using 2nd gear start offs. Given the low first gear ratio of the 5 speed, I'm not surprised by this. FWIW, the German tests for urban consumption are brutal. The figures are much lower than our USA EPA city mileage ratings.

As you can see, the DJ was not only the most powerful factory wbx, it was also the most economical.

David
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ pistons may also be available at
http://www.kaefer-co.de/index.php?view=details&path=0.191.257.258.&size=large&id=3267
and
http://www.busschmiede.de/

Last edited by klucz on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
syncrosimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All interesting stuff, the 2.1 wbx was only imported into the UK as a DJ. The 1.9 alternative was the carbureted DG. Emmissions seems to be the reason, other countries seemed to pick and choose what engine code probably for that reason, with mainland Europe being either MV or DJ.
With syncro's all UK spec ones have dual difflock, dont know why, they just do. The 16" option was only available in mainland Europe, with only one or two factory right hand drive 16" known to now exist.

The brits drive on the left as a throw back to pre car era, so that when you are mounted (on a horse) when you pass someone you pass them sword arm to sword arm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: