Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

I have read the forum, to the point I was simply overwhelmed. Please, no offense at asking for help!

I recently bought an 87 Westy long distance. Nice van that is mechanically sound and has a great interior etc... This bus has:

16" ASA/GoWesty Wheels
215/70R 16 Open Range A/T tires
1.5" GoWesty lift kit
Fresh Bilstien shocks

Once off the truck, I took it for my first drive and made hard enough contact with the tire that I deformed the wheel well on each side. Like, entering my neighborhood or the gas station or my driveway are all "aggressive" with this Vanagon.

This is my third Vanagon, I've never experienced this. Is the offset wrong? Are the wheels/tires too wide? It's the only "obvious" thing to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Icebox500 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

I have the same wheels and have long believed the offset to be too wide.

But in my and possibly your case, it may mostly do this if the wheel is at all turned. Mine always happen when least expected, or maybe because of it, when really crawling along.

Though the wheel offset *may* be at fault, I’ve determined the suspension is probably not unless front shocks are bad or if the springs are running too low.

So rest easy, I get about one hit a year and we do some serious stuff.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

Yes, good point. This occurs when turning into a divot, hence an even broader plane to make contact.

It does feel like this combination is simply too big... It's just that I'm _shocked_ at how easily it hits and the PO claims he never had an issue.

Thanks for the response.

I'm likely going to look at a less wide combination.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

Looks like the tire is taking some damage also.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

You can see that we have matching deformations. This occurred with the same wheels as yours with 215/65 R16 tires. I've since changed to 15" steel wheels with 215/75 R15 tires and don't have the same problem. I'd have to look up the offset on the steel wheels.

I believe the offset on these alloy wheels is about 23mm, less than the T3 recommendation of ~37ishmm(?)

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

Anytime a tire catches a fender lip......
Tire too big
Wheel too big
Offset wrong
Suspension sagged

Choose one.......or two.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Looks like the tire is taking some damage also.

Yes indeed. It’s a bit of an unexpected mess.
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
You can see that we have matching deformations. This occurred with the same wheels as yours with 215/65 R16 tires. I've since changed to 15" steel wheels with 215/75 R15 tires and don't have the same problem. I'd have to look up the offset on the steel wheels.

I believe the offset on these alloy wheels is about 23mm, less than the T3 recommendation of ~37ishmm(?)

Thanks very much for the response. Yes, 23 is the same offset I have now but it seems to be wheel size…

Additionally, I werified that the van has only 3/4” lift from Schwenk rather than the 1.5 from GW. Small lift and much bigger wheels.

I was considering 15” wheels actually vs the 1.5” lift. It’s a toss up on cost in many ways but the GW springs seem to have mixed reviews on longevity.
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Anytime a tire catches a fender lip......
Tire too big
Wheel too big
Offset wrong
Suspension sagged

Choose one.......or two.

Agreed. I’ve ruled out suspension and offset and ruled in big wheels I think now.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

A good body ship can work those fenders out for tire clearance (and fix the current bend). They can do it without damaging the paint, and it will look good too. They may also be able to do the rear as well (to match).

There's a body shop guy in this forum that's in CO. Bill?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

Typically ET30 is your target offset, or at least that's what the stock offset was on factory alloy 14" rims. I'm running 215/70-16 rims with an accumulative equivalent of around ET23*, but I'm lifted up pretty high. Never an issue with my combo. Personally, I won't run the aftermarket rims GW and others are selling. Way too many issues to justify the cost.

*Lots of jiggery-pokery going on to get there, but that's the number I remember after all the tomfoolery was done.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

I personally wouldn’t fix the fender if you plan on more offroad. We’ll do ours, with possibly other things like minor PO damage, before selling out.

Straightening weakens metal, and it sure will bend easier next time and get harder to fix with each.

Jim, interesting data on the 15s. Are the tires still 27” high?

— Colin Chapman
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

Na, steel can handle the rework. Aluminum, not so much.

Link
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
A good body ship can work those fenders out for tire clearance (and fix the current bend). They can do it without damaging the paint, and it will look good too. They may also be able to do the rear as well (to match).

There's a body shop guy in this forum that's in CO. Bill?

Thanks TJet as soon as I figure out my next move, I’ll figure out the body solution. Fortunately, it’s not critical m
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Typically ET30 is your target offset, or at least that's what the stock offset was on factory alloy 14" rims. I'm running 215/70-16 rims with an accumulative equivalent of around ET23*, but I'm lifted up pretty high. Never an issue with my combo. Personally, I won't run the aftermarket rims GW and others are selling. Way too many issues to justify the cost.

*Lots of jiggery-pokery going on to get there, but that's the number I remember after all the tomfoolery was done.

Thanks. Now I need to decide on the path forward. I’m thinking either taller springs or 15” wheels. I’m leaning g toward wheels…
Icebox500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

[quote="E1"]I personally wouldn’t fix the fender if you plan on more offroad. We’ll do ours, with possibly other things like minor PO damage, before selling out.

It’s a “50/50” van right now. I’ll worry about aesthetics down the road.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

Haha, if constantly used, is there another kind? Very Happy

— Colin Chapman
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

This is a major problem for lots of Vanagon owners. The problem is a combination of tall tires and wheels that are too wide and have the wrong offset...definitively!!!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

Thank You!

Yeah, we’ve been chasing the elusive 17” dream for far too long, on two vans, over several years since so few will work on it while traveling.

Thousands of dollars later, we may have to start over. You’ll get our business, but I am increasingly pissed that we supported other vendors in the blind trust they tested this stuff!

Hell, a friend of mine and I wouldn’t even sell racing kart parts before knowing THEY WORKED and weren’t a burden on customers funds.

Business 101: respect now, profit later.

Thanks Again for understanding that, it’s obvious and I thank you.

— Colin Chapman
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Yes, a tire and wheel question. Need some analysis please. Reply with quote

The 215/70/16 are a tall tire. I had those and had the same issues. (passat rims ET45 with 12mm Spacers) I corrected the fender lip/tire rub contact issue with stiffer front moog springs. But eventually messed with offsets and finally went to the CLK's.
All Three Components in different combinations can be addressed to avoid the tire rub issue: Wheel Choice (Offset), Tire Size, Spring/Shock Stiffness

Those Go-Westy Lift Springs are also known for substantial settling of over an inch over time. Depending how many miles are on them, it could get worse too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: