Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pertronix electronic ignition.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
twmcbrid
Modify, Break, Repair, Repeat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

I bought a pertronix elotronic ignition for my 74 bug. I read the intructions and it said that it should install with no modifications and it does not fit inside like it should. It looks like something should be holding the ring up but there is nothing in the kit that would do that. I looked to see if they just forgot to send me something but everything is there. Any ideas on what the hell is going on or what i need to do?

74 standard bug(currently restoring)
01 mustang
In Storage- 55 chevy truck, 77 Camaro Z28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the part number on the distributor and on the Pertronix?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twmcbrid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that i ordered the kit for a bosch distributor and not the volkswagen one like i have. so im going to have to call back and get the right one unless there is some way to modify it to where it will work.

01 mustang
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
bon2198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twmcbrid wrote:
I just realized that i ordered the kit for a bosch distributor and not the volkswagen one like i have. so im going to have to call back and get the right one unless there is some way to modify it to where it will work.

get the proper one. and remember to keep a set of points and condensor with you at all times. pertronix are known to just stop working with no warning. if i remember correctly they have a 1 year manufacturer warranty, which hopefully you won't have to use.

At the end of the day it's YOUR car so do what YOU want to it.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twmcbrid wrote:

What is the number on your distributor anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twmcbrid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the number on it. I just know that its the factory installed volkswagen one and not the bosch 009. I have had the kit for 3 months and still have the recipt. i hope they will take it back.

01 mustang
VonLininesch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does pertronix electric ignition really just stop working sometimes? I've had one in my 009 for over a year now and she runs just great. I'll start carrying some points if that's true, but I'll have to buy a new set if so... you have me a little worried.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonLininesch wrote:
Does pertronix electric ignition really just stop working sometimes? I've had one in my 009 for over a year now and she runs just great. I'll start carrying some points if that's true, but I'll have to buy a new set if so... you have me a little worried.

YES... i've seen them just drop dead.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VonLininesch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Glenn, I'll have to go put them in my hood. If you got some time, care to elaborate on how the car runs (or dies) when they go out? Both my bro and I have the electronic ignition, would be good to know what happens when they die.
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine ran for a long time (two or three years) in my '67, it's been running in Dad's 2386 for a year or two.

That doesn't mean it won't just quit working all of a sudden, though.
Fibersport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they quit working, you'll know. Imagine turning the ignition key to off while driving.

I had that happen to me a few months ago, however it was when I was running points. The little plastic part that rides on the distributor cam broke, not totally off just in one direction. When the distributor was turned backwards, the points would open but when it turned in the normal rotation, they didn't. Guess which way I rotated the engine to check my points that time .........

Point is, (no pun intended) they all can go out, usually without warning.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common killer of a pertronix is using the wrong coil. In the installation instructions, you are supposed to measure the primary resistance of your coil. Most people glaze over this and install the Pertronix. You cannot skip this. Usually it will work for a short while, then it will just quit for no apparent reason. I've seen them live for months like this, then die.

Also make sure you don't hook it up backwards. That kills it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fmartin_gila
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat over four years ago, I installed a Pertronix I and matching coil on my old Ford and it has been purring perfectly since. My 69 bug had a Compufire on it when I bought it, seems to be working OK also. The bug also has a Denso (Japanese) coil on as installed by the PO. I have no idea what this coil is from. I do carry points, cond, and coil, but so far have not had to use the extra items.

Fred
Bugorsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running a Pertronix unit for over 10 years and never had any problems. Just be sure to hook it up properly and you should be fine. It is possible for any part to fail at some point in its life and if you get enough of them out there in use there will be stories about failures. But the failure stories are told much more often than the successes so don't let that scare you away from a good product, just be prepared and keep the spare points and condenser in the trunk. If you carry the spare set you are less likely to have the primary part fail, something to do with Murphys Law.
Topline Parts
bon2198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonLininesch wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Glenn, I'll have to go put them in my hood. If you got some time, care to elaborate on how the car runs (or dies) when they go out? Both my bro and I have the electronic ignition, would be good to know what happens when they die.

when they die, your car won't start. or if it's running it will shut off.

At the end of the day it's YOUR car so do what YOU want to it.
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonLininesch wrote:

I've had mine for almost 10 years and it's still working perfectly. Knock on wood, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post this again because nobody seems to read the other posts on this topic.

The quality over the past few years and gone down. I've seen 6 fail in the past 2 years and all were fairly new. The older ones seem to last longer.

It's also been reported that the magnets are not all 90 degrees apart, so the timing might be off from cylinder to cylinder.

For 6 volt applications they have problems if the voltage drops below 5.6 volts.

If you replace a Pertronix with points you need to reset the timing since the trigger point is different than with points and you'll be too advanced.

Oh.. .and use the right coil.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running Pertronix for several years in the buggy and for 6 months in the 65. No issues. Like anything on any car, something can break. But, I don't carry a spare computer, ignition modules or anything like that for my regular cars, so I don't see a need to carry a spare of everything that can possibly break in my VWs.

There's some guys that are just short of towing spare VW with them. More power to them, but I don't see the need.

Oh - Glenn, question for you - how recently have you started seeing the Pertronix quality issues? Also - there are other companies that make these things, such as Compufire - any thought on those? Thanks
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...

Last edited by andk5591 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I have been running Pertronix for several years in the buggy and for 6 months in the 65. No issues. Like anything on any car, something can break. But, I don't carry a spare computer, ignition modules or anything like that for my regular cars, so I don't see a need to carry a spare of everything that can possibly break in my VWs.

There's some guys that are just short of towing spare VW with them. More power to them, but I don't see the need.

Agreed. The best thing to carry with you is a AAA card. You can fix anything at home. I'm not one for changing a clutch on the side of the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

Considering installing a Pertronic electronic ignition on my 74 super with the Bosch 009 distributor. # 231 178 009. What are some concerns that I should watch out for? What coil should I use?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: