Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Typ 82 Repro
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

I know it may be sacrilege to some , but I am building up a Typ 82E clone from a really desperate '56 shell ( hacked and mangled by the previous owner ) . I have most everything I need ( except a Split dash clip ) and the chassis is a '57 with Barndoor spindles and original Kuble axle housings and small nut tunnel housing transaxle . I have a Split Window rear window clip which I would rather not use if I can get away with just welding in a divider bar . My question is whether the Oval window opening will accept the flat glass of a Split without looking " incorrect " or cobbled up ? Has anyone out there actually done this and if so , what should I look out for ? Any suggestions , other than " don't do it " ? I have a '50 Standard , but without actually taking the rear windows out , I can't really tell much . Thanks , Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably fool most people, but will never look right. The shape of the oval is quite different to the split. It's not just the bar.

I did this in the '80ies. I used the divider bar from a split bus. The glass had to be cut at a glass shop and rubbers were made from some junk window seals I had arround.

Here is how it looked:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oval is more rounded on the ends and follow the airvents where as the split window are more pointed and curve away from the airvents.

Doesn't look good in my opinion.

Here's one I think I found on an Australian site a few years ago.

This one was built by using the Aussie made "Country Buggy" chassis parts. (Basically the same as the Non-barndoor splitbus parts)
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will fool no one. Transplant the whole clip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Typ 82E Repro Reply with quote

Many thanks to you all for the prompt answers to my request for info on grafting the Split Window rear glass into an Oval . I had seen some photos of several repro Splits , and wasn't sure if the photos were bad , or the procedure itself was problematical . I had just assumed the window opening of the Oval and Split were identical except for the divider , obviously not so ! With the amount of work going into the project I really don't want to wind up with something I won't be happy with .
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82E Repro Reply with quote

There may be several finished ones for sale if you look around.
geneL3c wrote:
Many thanks to you all for the prompt answers to my request for info on grafting the Split Window rear glass into an Oval . I had seen some photos of several repro Splits , and wasn't sure if the photos were bad , or the procedure itself was problematical . I had just assumed the window opening of the Oval and Split were identical except for the divider , obviously not so ! With the amount of work going into the project I really don't want to wind up with something I won't be happy with .
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures of the other way around.
Some old style enhancements Very Happy

Patrick
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could with some work even make your own... Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=kasska

From this:

To this:

Edit:

Hmm.. I see some similarities to my Kidvrod project... Wink

Laughing
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the humanity !
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Repro Typ 82E Reply with quote

Looks like my job is looking much easier , considering the lengths to which some people will go to put their plans into reality ! Sad to see that so many Splits end up in a pile , what some people would give today to have what probably ended up being smelted . My biggest challenge , now that the decision has been made to use my Split Window clip , is to find or make a Split dash . Judging from the " Reichspost " repro , it certainly isn't impossible . Thanks again , all , Gene
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Typ 82E Reply with quote

There are some people selling rear window sections already made up on here too.
geneL3c wrote:
Looks like my job is looking much easier , considering the lengths to which some people will go to put their plans into reality ! Sad to see that so many Splits end up in a pile , what some people would give today to have what probably ended up being smelted . My biggest challenge , now that the decision has been made to use my Split Window clip , is to find or make a Split dash . Judging from the " Reichspost " repro , it certainly isn't impossible . Thanks again , all , Gene
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Repro Typ 82E Reply with quote

KDF38 , Do you know of any made specifically for the Oval Window ? I know Kafer - Nostalgie sells one , but it includes the entire section with the engine vents . Would be nice to find one made to fit within the Oval opening , but I have not seen one yet . Thanks , Gene
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen clips to weld into ovals in the classifieds too. Not sure who sells or makes those now..

Edit:
Just checked. K-N sells these:

Quote:
Metal Split Window Section
L.801.702R
Make your own Split Beetle! Check out the pictures of the installed kit in an oval!
$475

The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen just a center repair bar for sale. You might be able to adapt
that. Seems like K-N had something and some ads from Spain had a
split section. I don't recall vents on that one, but ???. There are also
fiberglass sections at times.

Mike

Hebster52 wrote:
I've seen clips to weld into ovals in the classifieds too. Not sure who sells or makes those now..
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm chiming in late, but the original split is symetrical, while the oval is actually an oblong oval.
The oval has an even gap between the window and the louvers, while on the split, the gap widens as it moves away from center. The oval is more than just a split without the bar, it's actually bigger.
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Repro Typ 82E Reply with quote

Seems like there are certainly several options to choose , but I had hoped to avoid an expensive alternative to using my original Split Window clip . K-N is a bit more than I want to spend to save using my clip, which didn't cost anything when I salvaged it years ago . Of course I can always use it as a form for making one out of fibreglas
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not graft in the original? Instead of fiberglass, you could fill the orginal with cement and then use it as a mold to press one from steel. Of course, you'd have to graft that on anyway...
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grafting fiberglass to steel is going to cause more problems then it'll solve. I've seen, personally, vws that had either a fiberglass split window frame grafted in or the quarter windows filled in with fiberglass, then painted with a $4000.00 or so paint job. It didn't take long for the plastic to start cracking around the edges. The only way to permanently fix such a problem is to cut it out and weld steel in.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Repro Typ 82E Reply with quote

Decisions , decisions . Just when I think I'm out of the woods , I get more good info that sends me back to the drawing board ! I had indeed been concerned with the fibreglas option for the same reason , and also considered the cement form pressing idea . I don't have any extensive experience pressing flat metal to forms , although we have had pretty good success forming aircraft instrument panels on wooden form blocks . Viewing the " Reichs Post Repro , it appears that the dashboard was hand formed from flat steel ( we even have a roof section which is what was used ) , technique unknown . K-N has what looks like a useable insert but a bit pricey for me . Not that I'm doing this on the cheap , but considering how we want to use it , I'm not planning to do a show quality museum piece . As far as a " $4000.00 paint job , I should be so lucky ! Since we are planning to do a WWII clone , it is my understanding that once the vehicles were delivered to the military , they were painted in theatre with whatever was available . The plan is to spray paint the interior standard satin grey , and the exterior will probably be brushed ! Thanks again for your help my friends , Gene
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: