Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Typ 82 Repro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always make the entire bodyshell out of fiberglass if you have the skills. In fact it'd probably be easier to make a car that's 100% accurate in appearance that way. Check this thread out: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330435
Just out of curiosity why the reluctance to use the original split rear window? It will always be possible to buy a new one if necessary, even if it'd be on the pricey side.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Typ 82E Reply with quote

Something such as a MOP Laughing

they were painted in theatre with whatever was available

geneL3c wrote:
Since we are planning to do a WWII clone , it is my understanding that once the vehicles were delivered to the military , they were painted in theatre with whatever was available . The plan is to spray paint the interior standard satin grey , and the exterior will probably be brushed ! Thanks again for your help my friends , Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Repro Typ82E Reply with quote

It not a matter of having the skills to do fibreglas , I'm not looking to make any more of a project out of this than necessary , certainly not starting from scratch to make a whole body shell ! My reluctance to use the entire Split Window clip has more to do with trying to keep it simple , hence my initial request for info to try and get away with just a divider bar in the Oval . I think I might be able to use the clip for a pattern and pound a new insert from flat sheet . We do antique aircraft restoration which requires a fair amount of fabrication , usually on " bucking " forms . I'd rather sell the clip when I'm done to fund the project . A cement form has been suggested , which I'm seriously considering . If I was looking for a really quick short cut I could put my '50 Standard on the repro chassis , but I don't want to risk a valuable car for the way we intend to use it . The '50 was already damaged in a towing accident on the way to an airshow , which is what prompted the repro project in the first place . I truly appreciate eveyone's input and have learned a great deal , and thank you once again , Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: TYp 82E Repro Reply with quote

Finally had a chance to get back to my " clone " project to collect some more parts for the chassis . I have a set of Kublewagen axle housings and reduction boxes that I plan to use with a later tunnel housing transmission ( a bit more rugged than a crash box or split case ), along with lever action shocks , on a '57 chassis , '51 axle beam . Just received a pair of Barndoor spindles , backing plates and wheel cylinders believed to be '55 . Does anyone have any suggestions for shoes , drums and wheel bearings ? Will 55-63 brake parts fit ? Thanks , Gene
falldownjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,
Have you made any progress with your Typ82?
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some people have NO shortage of free time, holy cow... Impressive welding though.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not had a chance to actually start work on the Typ 82E chassis , but have finally moved my '50 Split Window back into the shop since it's return from the body shop , so I can put it back together and back on the road . Plans now are to then put together the repro chassis and then swap the '50 body onto it , while I work on the repro body . Pictures to follow when I have something to show !
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TYp 82 Repro Reply with quote

Better late than never, an update on my Typ 82e project.

I found a ' 55 three fold Sunroof Oval in Indiana that was in somewhat desperate shape, but with new floor pans that will be the basis of my now Typ 87 / 287.

After spending two years at Acme Car Co. in New Cumberland, PA for metal and body work with barely 15% of the work done and being promised it would be finished this month ( as well as a $9444.00 bill ) I have moved the body to Cooker's in Maryland for completion.

Cooker's had been my first choice, but at the time had at least a two year wait list, so here we are two years later, $ 9444.00 poorer and just about starting over !

They have a world wide reputation and an experienced and enthusiastic crew. Although work will not start immediately, until their current projects are completed, they seem motivated to do their first military project.

Unfortunately, some work done by Acme may have to be redone if it doesn't meet Cooker's standards.

Through the years since this idea first started, the Typ 82e that I wanted to do has evolved into a Typ 87 / 287 ( Sunroof, 4WD ) since I found a few photos of a factory prototype, though unclear if it actually went into production.

Conflicting information is confusing as to production numbers and body types, sedans or sunroofs and whether some were 2WD or 4WD.

I will try to post the factory photos as soon as I figure out how !

Cooker's will do the metal work, body work and paint, while I do the chassis and final assembly.

I had hoped to be done by now, but feel encouraged that the work will be finished while I still have a drivers license !

Plans are to use my original split window clip, split dash panel from Sam Steele and one piece door glass and window regulators.

The Typ 87 apparently did not have semaphores so I don't have to modify the B pillor, although I did collect them but won't use them on this project.

I believe I have probably 95 % of all the period correct parts to make a believable look alike.

Thanks to Neil Shaddox, I have the modified bushings needed to install Barndoor Bus spindles and brakes.

I also have Kubelwagen ( or possibly Barndoor ) reduction box housings and a later Typ II transaxle and lever action shocks for the rear.

All for now until I have something to show, Gene
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Ah ha! I found it! Thank you. I will be following along!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Jimbo, I will be expecting constructive criticism from the experts such as yourself ! I'm not a ASE Master Technician like you, or have Neil's skills, but I've muddled through many years as an FAA mechanic / Inspector and been around VWs since my days as a dealer line mechanic in the mid 60s when these cars weren't that old ! Gene
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Jimbo, I will be expecting constructive criticism from the experts such as yourself ! I'm not a ASE Master Technician like you, or have Neil's skills, but I've muddled through many years as an FAA mechanic / Inspector and been around VWs since my days as a dealer line mechanic in the mid 60s when these cars weren't that old ! Gene

Awesome! My first piece of constructive criticism is, WAY MORE PICTURES! They can even be of your dog. I, as many people, love pictures.

Have fun and let’s see those pics! Lots of them!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Jimbo,

Since you took the time to walk me through posting photos, I'll give it a test run to see how much I learned.
The original concept was to create a Typ 82e look a like repro, but since it has taken so long to get the project moving, it has evolved into what I think is a more interesting Typ 87 / 287 although my research has come up with many controversial or conflicting data.
I don't know if the factory photos show a prototype concept or a service test vehicle and various publications list differing production figures and I'm not even sure the Typ designation is correct.
Nonetheless, I plan on replicating the car in the factory photo whatever it is eventually designated.
As you can see, the donor car, a ' 55 Sunroof Sedan, is a bit desperate and need of considerable metal work. Once the car was sandblasted, the real horror emerged. Embarassed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Glad you got it figured out! It is like adding 1000 words! Great car. That roof section meet a decent amount of force. Might look at the rear firewall spotwelds, at the inner fender wall. Sometimes they break when the body gets hit hard!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Jimbo, After the sandblasting was done, there's plenty to check over, the previous body work, if you can call it that, was mud over rust and plenty of rust ! Gene
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

DAMN! Sounds like a great project! Time to start cutting and pasting steel!

Good luck and remember to have fun!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

nice to finally see your project in the flesh Gene. i may have some donor metal for your roof/quarter window actually. from one of the 60s cut up in my personal basement junkyard.

Neil
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Jimbo & Neil,
Many thanks for the encouragement and motivation.
The car is now at Cooker's in Maryland waiting for a production slot with all the replacement panels I've collected all these years, including a roof section if they need it, although they told me they may not.
I have the chassis at home to be worked on while the body work is being done.
I've been organizing all my photos, now that I know how to post, so that I can reference what I need in order to have something that makes chronological sense and provide you some entertainment.
The two years wasted at Acme Car Co. in PA , and $9500.00 to do about 15% of the body work still stings but I'm encouraged that Cooker's can do the work and are enthusiastic about the project.
First chore is to re-organize my shop so I can get to the lift and start to clear the acorns out of the chassis !
Gene
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Just stand it up, like this!

Gravity can do the work!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Jimbo, That would be a good start, but I want to get a good look inside and I'm concerned that the fuel line may need to be replaced. My ' 50 Standard arrived with a copper fuel line OUTSIDE the tunnel and the tunnel itself was hacked open for some reason, which is why I want to cut the tunnel open on the ' 55 from the bottom, not quite as drastic as Neil did ( I hope ! ). Gene
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

There is a back story to the Typ 87 / 287 repro project which began with my ' 50 Standard dressed to represent a captured Beetle during WWII., to display with our Aeronca L-3c spotter aircraft at airshows.
Captured vehicles were very popular with GIs but became a serious problem due to aggressive Allied fighter-bomber pilots who would go after anything that resembled enemy equipment.
Eisenhower had an order issued that all captured vehicles were to be clearly marked with Allied flags and/or insignia.
In 2005 our Beetle was suitable marked with a 48 star flag and magnetic star on the door, blackout headlights, and Luftwaffe license plates. At the time I had no documentation other than a couple of Kublewagen photos showing a US star on the side.
It was popular with Allied re-enactors, not so much with the Germans !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: