Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Typ 82 Repro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Please excuse me if this was already covered or if pertinent information is now readily available on the web. My knowledge of the Type 87, such as it is, comes from a few older books on my shelf. Two things. The fenders were wider, a modification made by adding about 2" of metal between the fenders and the body. Also I'm pretty sure the sunroofs--for those Type 87's that had them--were considerably larger than any later, civilian beetle.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Oldovaldriver, Your knowledge of the Typ 87 is more than mine was when I started my project ! You are correct, the fenders were wider and the sunroof was longer. Since mine is a replica, I chose not to widen the fenders, hoping the Barndoor rear end and spindles will keep the wheels under the stock fenders. I'm using 6" x 15" Centerline wheels which look fairly close to the Kronprinz wheels used in North Africa with sand tires. The '55 donor car with 3 fold sunroof will have the fabric cover only, extended 8" to the rear to simulate the longer Typ 87 sunroof, which should be fairly close to the period photos I have. Thanks for your interest, I appreciate any information that I am not aware of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Neil and Jimbo, Since nobody reads, I'm posting photos of my solution to the broken VW 241a bearing puller saga. Surprising what can be done out of desperation !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Running those Centerline wheels will push them out to the very edge if not past the fenders. The only way to keep those wheels in under the stock fenders is to use bus 15” rims. The bus rims have a deep inset that go over the reduction box a bit. This was a ‘66 bug with barndoor reduction boxes and 15” bus wheels. Not the greatest picture for reference but all I could find. If memory serves it had the empi 3” body lift and 7.00 x 15” tires

Last edited by T2 on Mon May 31, 2021 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Very cool! The mother of invention - necessity!

I have read about one guy who took a 10mm head stud and carved out a recess to catch the inside edge of the bearing race. He then took his harmonic balancer puller set and implemented it to pull the bearing out of the axel bearing housing.

That’s why I wanted to see what you were trying to do.

But, you got it! Nice job!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Considering the quality effort you're going to, I'd think the wide fenders wouldn't be too much trouble. Adding steel strips should be relatively simple, or ready-made fiberglass wide fenders are also available. Other than the fenders and sunroof, what visual clues differentiate a Type 87 from a Type 82E? There is a 1946 Type 87 style prototype in the VW Museum with a British-style roller bumper and high-mounted exhausts through the fenders like a Kubel--but I don't know that any wartime examples were modified that way.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

T2, I built up a '57 Sunroof " Off Road Beetle " years ago using a '65 transaxle with adapter blocks and the 15" x 10" wide wheels were well outside the fibreglas fenders, however it is my understanding that the '50 to '55 Barndoor transaxle is several inches narrower. Using another '65 trans with Barndoor axle tubes and inner box housing I hope to assemble what I believe will be a set up that will be mostly under the fenders. Still looking for Barndoor stub axles which are supposed to be shorter. Typ 1 rear brake backing plates, shoes and drums should put the wheels mostly under the fenders.

oldovaldriver, In looking at the photos I have and going back through some documentation, I believe the Typ 87 and Typ 92SS were mfg. with either 4-wheel or 2-wheel drive ( not sure ) some were mfg. with sunroof, some without. Positive proof is hard to come by and opinions vary. There is a photo earlier in this thread of what could be either a prototype or production Typ 92 with 4-wheel drive and the wide fenders you describe. The only way to be certain a vehicle has 4-wheel drive is to see the front hub. Vehicles both Sedan bodied and Kublewagen with Kronprinz wheels and sand tires could be either 2 or 4 wheel drive since in most cases you can't see the front hub. My car is already in Cooker's body shop with all the sheet metal repair work done and after the disastrous 2 1/2 years wasted at another body shop, I just want to finish the project while I still have a driver's license. I can't answer your question about
the difference between Typ 87 and Typ 82e. The inspiration for the project came from a model car kit made in the Czech Republic ! It was supposed to be a Typ 87 and had Kronprinz wheels and sand tires, so that is what I decided I wanted regardless of accuracy or historical correctness. If you look at some photos on the internet, there are many sedan bodied Typ 82 vehicles with what look like standard wheels that seem to fit under the wheel wells OK, still an option.

Jimbo, More than one way to skin a cat ( sorry Connie ), but I got lazy and took the easiest way out !
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

T2 wrote:
Running those Centerline wheels will push them out to the very edge if not past the fenders. The only way to keep those wheels in under the stock fenders is to use bus 15” rims. The bus rims have a deep inset that go over the reduction box a bit. This was a ‘66 bug with barndoor reduction boxes and 15” bus wheels. Not the greatest picture for reference but all I could find. If memory serves it had the empi 3” body lift and 7.00 x 15” tires

there is a lot less radical way to do this:

this one has a turned beam, spindles, and RGBs, went to Egypt for a lap around the pyramids... built in the early 90s in Speyer germany

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

I think the only way to see if there is a problem with the Centerlines extending outside the fenders is to try it when the body is actually on the modified chassis with Barndoor spindles and RGB transaxle. I already have the tires and wheels I want to use and am not particularly fond of the appearance of Bus rims.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Cooker's VW is moving incredibly fast on the Typ 87 / 92 repro body work and should be ready for paint before too long. I'm still working on the chassis mods, but the body will probably be picked up just on a temporary rolling chassis.

geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Cooker's is moving ahead too fast to keep up, still more work before color goes on, but progress is motivating work on the chassis mods.
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

The project is coming along real good. Looks like these guys know what they're doing.
1964 Chop Top
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

banana split, After getting an expensive run around for two years with little done at the previous shop, Cooker's is the place to go if you want it done right. I don't think there is anything they can't do. Redoing crappy work is their specialty !
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Been busy recently trying to keep up work on the modified chassis in order to be ready for the soon to be completed body at Cooker's VW Restoration. The transaxle has been a real challenge to get parts that are compatible to assemble the modified '65 full synchro transmission with Barndoor axles, axle tubes and inner reduction box housings. I had acquired the Barndoor parts without gears, bearings or outer RGB housings and told later bearings and gears would fit, which is partly correct. The problem is that the later, outer housing is slightly different and will have to be modified, but should not be that difficult. I found that the Barndoor stub axles are slight shorter and should help to bring the wheels closer under the fender, but I won't know until I have at least one side of the transaxle is assembled so I can take more critical measurements. Sedan rear brakes and drums may also help. I found a period photo of a Sunroof, Off-road Sedan, with 2 WD, possibly a Typ 82E, with standard width fenders, which is a fall back configuration if my plan to use Centerline wheels does not work out. The photos from Cooker's shows the first matte black color which I understand is how the Sedan bodied cars left the factory, that will be followed by " Dunklegelb " ( dark yellow ) and then get a " patina " treatment.

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Car is looking amazing!
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Neil, Thanks for your encouragement ( and help ! ), I'm still a bit dazed at how fast things are moving along ! The second color coat, " Dunklegelb " may be on very soon, can't wait, can't sleep ! Gene
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Working out pretty good! Sounds like a headache trying to get the right components for the raised gear.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

The transaxle modification is actually an enjoyable challenge. I think I have enough miscellaneous parts to experiment with and pretty sure I can work out the configuration that will fit the tire / wheel combination under the fenders.. I really want to be able to use the 15" x 6" Centerline wheels and all terrane tires I have. If not I'll just go to stock wide 5s like the last photo I posted.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
The transaxle modification is actually an enjoyable challenge. I think I have enough miscellaneous parts to experiment with and pretty sure I can work out the configuration that will fit the tire / wheel combination under the fenders.. I really want to be able to use the 15" x 6" Centerline wheels and all terrane tires I have. If not I'll just go to stock wide 5s like the last photo I posted.

Tyre size was my main issue when I raised my oval on country buggy gear, the wider brakes and rims made the offset wider, so I was looking for a tall skinny with aggressive tread, never found one so had to settle for a light truck Tyre. Not ideal but works for now.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Latest update, the bodywork and paint was completed at the end of July, about sixteen weeks start to finish and now sits in my shop next to the chassis still being worked on.
Having a problem figuring out the 1955 handbrake system which was missing most of the parts when I purchased the car.
It is basically the cable brake system of the Split Window, but without the front wheel brake cables, but I can't find a schematic that shows how it hooks up at the front.
Some of the parts appear to be different from the Split Window.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: