Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brackets (catches) for Cabinet Doors
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Brackets (catches) for Cabinet Doors Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find some replacement brackets so I can properly close both my fridge door, as well as the cabinet door below the sink/small drawer.

I'm looking for the METAL bracket that goes on the inside, which the cabinet door latches clicks behind to keep it closed.

Not sure if this will fix the problem, my thoughts are when I reinstalled the fridge it moved the "walls" with these brackets on them a little bit, so neither door closes, it simply pushes the bracket back. So I might need to fiddle with some custom brackets, or look for an alternate way to keep the doors closed.

Let me know if pictures would help explain what I'm after.

Thanks.

Last edited by ccdn on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are talking about the "catch", where the latch 'latches' - right?

If they just don't catch the tongue on the latch, they can be shimmed out a bit with cardboard or washers. There are two small Philips screws holding them in.

If the latch HITS the catch, it does sound like your walls have moved, so not certain how to fix that, other than find out if and why it moved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
Sounds like you are talking about the "catch", where the latch 'latches' - right?

If they just don't catch the tongue on the latch, they can be shimmed out a bit with cardboard or washers. There are two small Philips screws holding them in.

If the latch HITS the catch, it does sound like your walls have moved, so not certain how to fix that, other than find out if and why it moved.

Yes, the "catch" is it.

The definately HIT the catch, so maybe I can file them down. Not sure why they moved, but I don't really want to rip out the fridge and everything. Was a tight fit as I'm sure they are supposed to be.

Thanks!
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you have to rip the fridge out?

The wooden panel comes off the front, complete with door. With that off, you should be able to adjust the 'catch'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
Why would you have to rip the fridge out?

The wooden panel comes off the front, complete with door. With that off, you should be able to adjust the 'catch'.

Well my assumption was installing the fridge moved the cabinets sides out. They won't budge currently.

Unless I'm still not following you....

Thanks.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccdn - I'd say do not try to file those catches down! They are just thin strips of steel bent to a point where the latch tongue hits. If you file them too much (and it's not very much) you'll have two-part catches. Embarassed

I still can't quite see why the problem arose - both the fridge and the cupboard below the sink latch on the left side. Therefore I can't see how both could move too far to the right just by replacing the fridge.

I'd still recommend taking off the fridge door panel and checking that it is on straight. There is a metal tab at the top right corner that can foul things up.

I'm in the middle of a complete cabinet-out refit, and they're sitting in my workshop, so can see all the bits from inside and outside right now.

Hope to be of help.
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
ccdn - I'd say do not try to file those catches down! They are just thin strips of steel bent to a point where the latch tongue hits. If you file them too much (and it's not very much) you'll have two-part catches. Embarassed

I still can't quite see why the problem arose - both the fridge and the cupboard below the sink latch on the left side. Therefore I can't see how both could move too far to the right just by replacing the fridge.

I'd still recommend taking off the fridge door panel and checking that it is on straight. There is a metal tab at the top right corner that can foul things up.

I'm in the middle of a complete cabinet-out refit, and they're sitting in my workshop, so can see all the bits from inside and outside right now.

Hope to be of help.

I think the fridge door isn't hitting the catch, which would make more sense with my original assumption that the fridge is bulging out the sides slightly, but it doesn't look like that to the naked eye. It was a snug fit, but slid in easily (this was several months ago mind you).

I think I see what you mean about removing the fridge door panel, can't remember it coming off, but I'm sure you are right. I was concerned that even if I could get a new catch, I wouldn't be able to install it without taking out the fridge, but would make sense the catch is on an easily removable panel. Smile Will look at this shortly.

The other issue is the catches are quite beat up, which could be 1/2 my problem. Was hoping a could get new ones, worst case some fab might be in order.

Here are some pictures.

Fridge:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Right Cabinet:

Thanks!
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clear photos.

Those are not original catches! Shocked

The originals are folded into a "V" where the latch catches, which is why I said do not file (the point off the "V"). It would fall into two pieces.

I'll send a photo of mine today, inside and out so you can get a clearer picture of what SHOULD be there.

Have fun!
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a composite photo of the front and inside of the catch.

I was mistaken - there are 3 screws instead of 2.

Have fun![/img]
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed, thanks for the info.

Now, where can I get some replacement catches!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: