Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

You People Are Scary Voodoo....
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

Razz Razz Razz

So my Vanagon decided to reward me with a fussy lifter this morning after having fixed some minor bodywork yesterday.
I tried running it on the highway to help bleed it out since holding RPMs wasn’t doing it .
Didn’t work... Rolling Eyes
So I ventured to a parts store 5min from my house and bought my first bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. Added 4-5 oz, started and ran the engine, holding it above idle, then back to idle. After the 2nd try with that, the lifter pumped up and hasn’t acted up since......
I’ll look for a nearby Chicken to sacrifice in Samba’s honor... Very Happy
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

Abetter way to say thanks is to join and help support the site.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/donate.php

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Abetter way to say thanks is to join and help support the site.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/donate.php

Dave
. But Dave , the Gods demand a Rotisserie Chicken Sacrifice..... Razz
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

Marvel Mystery Oil... what it does is a Mystery!

or just add an ounce or two of Stoddard Solvent/Mineral spirits. MMO is 25% Stoddard, nearly 75% 'oil', and a few fractions of various forms of dichlorobenzene... essentially mothballs. but yeah, i have a container of it.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
proofpudding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

I have a bottle that has been kicking around for a year or so. Do you add it to the gas or oil or both?

The whole bottle?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

just fyi.... an interesting NTSB notice on an aircraft crash attributed to MMO. mixed at a way higher proportion than recommended by MMO.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2...amp;akey=1

my guess is that it didn't ruin the engine thru decreased fuel lubricity but changed the combustion temp and burned some valves OR he/she was trying to fix an existing problem prior to takeoff with MMO. totally WAG on my part but serves as a caution to adding junk willy nilly to fuel or oil and in crazy proportions. YMMV. or you may crash and burn.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

I am not a wizard like dan. FYI my man the first time I took the (or any) motor out, my favorite resource was a 90’s text description from the Gerry citing you. Thanks!

That all said and anyhoo, I’ve been told by friends way smarter than me in stuff like this that mmo is basically atf- oil with lots of cleaners added. Actually makes sense for un-sticking lifters....
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
So my Vanagon decided to reward me with a fussy lifter this morning after having fixed some minor bodywork yesterday...

bought my first bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. Added 4-5 oz, started and ran the engine, holding it above idle, then back to idle. After the 2nd try with that, the lifter pumped up and hasn’t acted up since...

Welcome to the prestigious club. Laughing

DanHoug wrote:
just fyi.... an interesting NTSB notice on an aircraft crash attributed to MMO. mixed at a way higher proportion than recommended by MMO.

Morals of the story:
1) Read the [bleep]ing instructions.
2) Don't think that adding 4x the instructed amount will work 4x better, especially in an engine that has (presumably) gone past its overhaul hours.
3) Read and follow the [bleep]ing instructions!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

Interesting update... Engine is burning oil now out of the tailpipe if revs are held steady while parked . Hadn’t seen that before, but I am consuming oil ordinarily with no external leaks, so maybe the MMO mixture loosened some stuff up. I can always drain the oil and start over with plain oil if this keeps up.
I checked the oil level to make sure it wasn’t overfilled since I had added those few ounces of MMO to my existing oil.
I’ll take it for a highway drive tomorrow and see what happens.
Popcorn
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Morals of the story:
1) Read the [bleep]ing instructions.
2) Don't think that adding 4x the instructed amount will work 4x better, especially in an engine that has (presumably) gone past its overhaul hours.
3) Read and follow the [bleep]ing instructions!

I think I just.learned.that my 1.9 has to be overhauled after so many hours.😅😂🤣😅😀🤪

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

I just bought a bottle, so maybe I’ve joined the cult as well. Hopefully it’ll prevent an occasional sticky lifter. We’ll see. The weird wintergreen scent is too much for my niece. Definitely too mysterious for her.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
I think I just.learned.that my 1.9 has to be overhauled after so many hours.😅😂🤣😅😀🤪

Only if you're flying with that 1.9... and last I checked, bricks don't have wings.😉😂😈
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

A Samba TrueAlternative fact (tm)

MMO Was inspired by two old guys from NY y and MN running around naked in the woods together.

Kelly Anne Conway
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A Samba TrueAlternative fact (tm)...

...(which we can neither confirm nor deny)...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FWIW, I've been using MMO consistently for the past 10 years...4 oz. in every
oil change & NEVER any lifter noise...even after 5 month winter nap... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Only if you're flying with that 1.9... and last I checked, bricks don't have wings.😉😂😈

with sufficient thrust, even pigs can fly.....

www.thefixitworkshop.com
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

d'oh!
We veered off Topic.... Razz
Anyway, I bought fresh oil today so if need be, I’ll dump the MMO mixture.
Before I do that, I’m losing a 1/2 out of the engine as a test since normally I run it between the marks on oil level and now I’m at the full mark.
THAT could be the source of my now apparent oil burning as opposed to burning it with no visible ‘plume’ behind me like I normally do ( the aka Wildthings 1.9 liter method Smile )
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: You People Are Scary Voodoo.... Reply with quote

I drained 1 qt out of the engine and added 1/2 qt of engine oil to get the level between the marks on the dipstick . Drove the Vanagon, no more oil burning out of the exhaust. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: