Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

should i buy? why or why not
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: should i buy? why or why not Reply with quote

here is the link. I dont know enough about lowlights . Help please.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=642502
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boat_builder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ad leaves out some important info....like what condition the body is in.....any rust areas? any work done to the body already?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much money ! !

The expensive pieces have been removed, the pieces that are there are the wrong year and the body is a REALLY well dimpled question mark.

For a mess around ride, maybe $1,500. For a car to be restored, don't touch it. It will cost you more than ten grand to round up the correct parts and pay the shop(s) for a successful restoration.

You'll be AMAZED at how quickly you can spend another $3,500 for the right parts and not see any real progress. Then another $3,500 and you'll still need an engine. Then possibly yet another $1,000 and you STILL won't have those final seven pieces to complete the car correctly.

Stay Away ! !
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O really. Thanks for that. Is it even possible to get a driving lowlight for 3 grand.

What parts on that car are wrong??

what about these

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=682235
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=710722
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda hard to tell from the tiny pics, but right off the bat:

The incorrect parts include the bumper assemblies, number plate lamp, interior pieces, possibly blinkers, side mirrors, engine, drop spindles, windshield and rear window rubber, who knows what else . . . It's easier to tell you what's correct.

The missing parts are too many to mention, pretty much everything seems to be gone, from the windshield and rear window trim, through to most of (if not all) of the interior. The exterior chrome, aluminum, and stainless bits are gone as well. No grills or side spears or scrapers or inner and outer door window scrapers or trim, just almost everything is missing. The floors aren't insulated, they have more of a factory applied tar paper on them, the carpeting is VERY specific, expensive and not simply "salt and pepper", even the nose badge is special one-piece and not always available used in good condition. Once you see the car "in person" the list of what's wrong and what's needed is going to be a long one for sure.

Additionally, with these beautiful older (oldest) cars, you don't just want to grab up a lot of repro junk for them. Restored original or carefully crafted replacement parts are TOTALLY necessary, as is professional body, paint and installation work.

Of those two other offerings, go for the '58. Good price and complete car, something that you can work on. Of course a LOT of work, but the bits and pieces are still there to work with. The other car sort of looks a bit better, but there's a TON of crap lurking right under the surface, including a badly done 1/2 or 3/4 nose clip replacement, don't go near it.
Plus, with the '58 you get to look at that MAJOR steering wheel every time that you get in and drive the lil' sucker.

Luck!

TC
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep $3.5K is way too high.... try him at $10 Very Happy

This car is reasonably priced and it all depends on whether you want it and the availability and price of other locally priced "same" cars. It's that difficult.

I feel sorry for any fellow Ghia owner who has to get rid of their car. Sadly, the way the ad is written, the poor guys needs cash.

Happy Christmas all!!
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take you time and buy something local or at least something you can personally and carefully inspect. I know low lights are cool as I just sold one, but I personally would buy the best quality original 1956 - 1969 that I could find. Which is why I kept my original, low mileage no rust 64 coupe.
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys. Im not going to rush into buying a crap car. i will keep my eye out and keep asking questions.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rust bucket one for 1500 is the one I would go with it has very few surprises and althugh its missing some of the critical high$ parts it looks pretty restoreable. I always prefer to start with a car close to this conditon vs buying a bondo machine thats been painted to death and finding out later it looks like this one underneath. I have had relative decent success the car looks structurally sound. no nose hit battery tray looks to be solid seats and dash are restorable no 1980s 8 track cut into the dash. this is actually a decent deal not sure where your located. No I am not the poster of that ad either. I would climb under it and look at heater channels etc but for that $ its worth it. The 4500 dllar car is complete but real mystery about its bondo lineage the nose looks like it has more plastic than joan rivers.
Crocco58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the on for 1500 dollars doesn't have a correct nose and fresh air grills on it.
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD CATCH ! ! ! ! ! !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: