Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 syncro westy advise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaaudivw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: 87 syncro westy advise Reply with quote

Looking at a pretty clean 87 syncro westie. Guy wants 16k car has 134k on the clock second owner very little rust and 2 small dents. All stock with steel wheels. All recipts for the last 80k miles. heads done @ 105k. I see some go for 20-30k and then some for around 16-18k. I might jump on it and sell my 85. Has anyone bought one of these similar vans recently and what is the going rate. I would like the next van I buy be the last and a Syncro Westie is my end goal. Only thing is I'd like to be able to seat more in it as I have 5 in the family. Would adding a Carat interior be doable or completely insane. I'd keep the camper interior to swap back when the kids are older.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aereo-van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i scrub the classifieds, ebay, craigslist pretty consistently and a syncro westy for 16K with very little rust sounds like a good deal to me even if it had no engine at all. However, I am not a syncro expert. I understand that parts can be very expensive, but assuming that everything checks out...sounds sweet. got any pics???
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'd look for a jumpseat to throw behind the passenger seat for the 5th spot.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'd look for a jumpseat to throw behind the passenger seat for the 5th spot.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: 87 syncro westy advise Reply with quote

$16k sounds fine if everything works and the body/interior are in reasonably good shape. In your region I'd check the undercarriage and wheel wells carefully for rust (road salt). Also, make sure the viscuous coupler (vc) works. And if it has a rear differential lock (knob on the dash) make sure it works. Most syncronauts I know eventually get a decoupler installed to give the vc longer life.

I own several syncros and have never had to replace or fix any of the syncro components yet except, gradually, the drive shafts. But syncros are not really for those on tight budgets. You might want to post your question on the Yahoo Syncro chat site which is full of experienced syncro owners. There's also the website, syncro.com, that'll tell you everything about the syncro.

I wouldn't monkey with the westy interior unless you're sure you could put it all back in good shape if you were to eventually sell. Disconnecting/removing/reinstalling the sink/range/fridge. including propane lines can be a fragile process. I have an '87 westy syncro weekender with the pop-top and rear cabinets which carries six including driver but only has a cooler, not the sink/range.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Guy wants 16k car has 134k

I vote no on the 16k price, to me it would be worth about 8k (12k max), here is why

1. it has a stock motor, upgrading to a subaru costs $7500
2. it has stock suspension, upgrading to OME shocks and Syncro.org springs adds $2000 cost
3. It has stock 14" rims, upgrading to 15" with tires, adds $1500
4. IF the VC is good, you wont have to face paying $1600 to install a new one.
5. The driveshaft is probably good, else that costs another $550
6. If you decide to add a decoupler, spend another $1700
7. The cost of repairing and repainting the van is over $5000
8. Replacing canvas costs $800
9. Upgrading the lights to a SA grille will run you about $500

if you add up just the first 3 items, it totals $11k to your cost. If you pay asking price you will be into the van for $27,000.

My advice, if youre headed to a Syncro Westy, is to find one that someone else already replaced engine, wheels, and suspension, for about $25k. You might get lucky and find one with a decoupler included. And you might also find one that has no rust, no dents, and new paint., plus upgraded headlights and new canvas. All for about $25-30k

Here is one
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=668252

here is a weekender, which has a better (wider) bed than a westy, And its a TDi!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=676710
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Jon, but that's just silly; you talk like those things are required work, when they are optional upgrades all, except for the driveshaft and canvas. The standard for price comparison is a stock vehicle, not your or anyone else's tricked-out ideal after the sale.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree. 16K for a baseline, functional syncro westy is quite a good deal provided everything is indeed functional and fairly free of rust. I would put in a rear facing jumpseat, and I would NOT take out the camper interior. The van is worth far more with it and it's a pain in the ass to take it all out. If you have kids, you'll be glad you kept it in for simple things like hot chocolate on the road, using the sink as an on the road potty, and so they can play house or fort in it and make fictional tea on the stove - just remember to turn off your propane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Go for it Reply with quote

I'd say go for it. I've recently (2 months ago) bought a 87 Syncro Westy with 120K for 15,000, so yours is in the ballpark. Make sure you have a good inspection done to it and a CarFax before buying it.

Regarding all the modifications that Jon mentions below, yes, it would be nice to have/do them, and probably I will in the future (Zetec in my case instead of a Subaru), but they are most of them optional. You can still have lots of fun and use of a stock motor, stock suspension, 14" wheels, etc.

The ads mentioned at the end are almost twice the original price. I don't know how's your money situation, but in my case, 15K was my upper limit. By starting with a stock Syncro Westy, and later on do all the modifications mentioned below (if you find you need them) I can better control how I spend the money over time.

I plan to have lots of fun with my stock 87 Syncro Westy next year !

BTW, it's not the difficult to unmount the camper equipment (I just removed the kitchen following the Bentley instructions, since I'm installing a new carpet). However, if you choose to permanently remove them for a while, be aware that you'll end up with three holes in the floor (sink drain, propane pipes, water tank) that you'll need to cover somehow (my Syncro is inside the garage right now and not out having fun in the snow due to those holes!).

Jon_slider wrote:
> Guy wants 16k car has 134k

I vote no on the 16k price, to me it would be worth about 8k (12k max), here is why

1. it has a stock motor, upgrading to a subaru costs $7500
2. it has stock suspension, upgrading to OME shocks and Syncro.org springs adds $2000 cost
3. It has stock 14" rims, upgrading to 15" with tires, adds $1500
4. IF the VC is good, you wont have to face paying $1600 to install a new one.
5. The driveshaft is probably good, else that costs another $550
6. If you decide to add a decoupler, spend another $1700
7. The cost of repairing and repainting the van is over $5000
8. Replacing canvas costs $800
9. Upgrading the lights to a SA grille will run you about $500

if you add up just the first 3 items, it totals $11k to your cost. If you pay asking price you will be into the van for $27,000.

My advice, if youre headed to a Syncro Westy, is to find one that someone else already replaced engine, wheels, and suspension, for about $25k. You might get lucky and find one with a decoupler included. And you might also find one that has no rust, no dents, and new paint., plus upgraded headlights and new canvas. All for about $25-30k

Here is one
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=668252

here is a weekender, which has a better (wider) bed than a westy, And its a TDi!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=676710

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I'm sorry, Jon, but that's just silly; you talk like those things are required work, when they are optional upgrades all, except for the driveshaft and canvas. The standard for price comparison is a stock vehicle, not your or anyone else's tricked-out ideal after the sale.

I couldnt agree more. Who says these are mandatory? I like my syncro westy being bone stock. I live in the mountains, get tons of snow, tons of mud, and have never needed any of these mods mentioned, and i do a a ton of off roading. Are they cool, sure they are. Are they a waste of money, thats depends on who wants them. To me they are a waste of money. A bone stock syncro westy is more then adequate IMO. 16k is a very fair price even if it needs some love, because lets face it they all do
now if you can get one for 8k like mentioned above, you will be way ahead of the game! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those that say, assuming the van is as described, a decent price as is. The upgrades mentioned are just that, upgrades. They may be nice to have, but not necessary. If you want a van with those modifications and can afford the price all at once then a modified van is the way to go. If you are not sure what mods. you want yet or can't justify the jump from $16,000 to $25,000 then don't. You can decide which mods are important and do them while you enjoy your $16,000 van. Plus you don't end up buying the PO's mods that you do not want but are there anyway. For example some people put stereos in with speakers and amps that use up all the underseat storage and ruins the front panel. Then they want retail for the price of the system plus labor. This is a turn off to me as the space is more important than a stereo louder than the one in my house. I use the van to camp in the woods, not at a car stereo competition. We have a `87 Westy Syncro that is basically bone stock and while I will be doing some modifications over time, the van is fully useable as is. The stock engine is not noted for its high speed driving but who cares, its a Westy not a sports car. We have taken ours all over Alaska, parts of Canada, and the original trip home from Berkeley, CA to Anchorage, AK. All with the stock engine, tires & wheels, etc. We made sure to purchase a van that was in very good conditon so we could enjoy it immediately and using it allows us to make informed decisions on what mods we want to make. When my shocks wear out I will buy new ones and replace the springs at the same time. I have acquired a set of 15" South Africa alloys and will install them and a big brake kit when I need new tires. In the mean time my 185R14 Nokians do just fine. Adding a jumpseat gives you seating for five(we have one), no need to remove the stock interior, unless you really want too.

Buy the van, fix the little things that need repair. Inspect and/or replace the fuel lines as needed. Do some basic maintenance, fluid changes, etc, unless records show they are fresh. Throw some camping gear in and go enjoy it. As you use it you will find what works for you and what you want to change.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paid $19K for mine 4 years ago w/ 112K on it. Near perfect and all stock. Seems that $16K is on track if it has minor rust/body issues and more miles. As long as it is sound, enjoy it as is. I've done things to mine but not because I had to just to make it useable. Only mod I would consider almost mandatory is the wheel upgrade. The 15" wheels made a huge difference in ride, handling, and 4WD capability. The only thing I can say with absolute certainty is that I WISH I HAD BOUGHT IT YEARS AGO! I have never had any regrets.

Oh ya, also be aware of the transmission failure potential. You should plan on it in the near future if it has not already been fixed. Use the search here to find out more. Mine cost me $1600 repaired/installed. Anything pre '90s ish I think has the weak gear in it.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dixoncj"] If you have kids, you'll be glad you kept it in for simple things like hot chocolate on the road, using the sink as an on the road potty/quote]

Really?? The sink as a potty?? Potty as in.....??

Really?

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
skaaudivw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to offer 13k. Needs front blower motor and AC compressor is not working. Going back and Ill bring my camera this time. It's pretty clean on the outside but the inside would be mint with a shampoo. Just dirty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is that 87 Syncro Westy listed on Samba you should look it over very closely. It may not have been a Westy to begin with as I can see a few details that would say it started as a passenger model.

Mark

skaaudivw wrote:
going to offer 13k. Needs front blower motor and AC compressor is not working. Going back and Ill bring my camera this time. It's pretty clean on the outside but the inside would be mint with a shampoo. Just dirty.
skaaudivw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it not in Samba. Think the guy really needs cash, I might bring 10k in cash up and see if it talks for me
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas / New Years is a real good time to do some shopping.

And as the economy seems to keep falling in a bottomless pit--offer the guy 9 large--have a back up G' note in your other pocket--

The big 3 can't sell any cars, the UAW & it's worker's are all in trouble--- Home prices are falling like Chicken Little's sky--& the price of these antiquated, overpriced toys are going to fall like the Hindenburg too.

If you've got some time, not in a big hurry, and a pile of Ben's burning a hole in your pocket, your on the winning side of this deal.

If you really do some shopping, and play the waiting game, you could very well locate a Syncro that some fool dumped a load into it in accessories, as the slider thinks you'll be better off with, and needs to bail out fast for some quick cash.

Tis' the season to be dealing,
Fa,la la,la,la,la,la,la,la.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: