Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure switch
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I have a 12V 30hp engine with a speedwell supercharger. It also has a C4 fram filter. The engine runs & sounds great
The problem I have is that the low pressure light is on continously at idle. The engine was rebuild last year & only covered 10 miles since then. I have changed the oil pressure switch but made no difference. When you but your foot down on the accelerator the light goes out then on again at idle.
I have checked the flow in & out on the fram filter, checked the timing, fitted an electonic distributor, checked the oil level. I am unsure weather I should drive the car with this problem for any long distance driving.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks Dave
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch Reply with quote

I believe the c4 is a large bypass filter. How did you plumb it into the engine and what size restriction do you have in the circuit? If I recall correctly a 0.040 inch orifice is usually used with the c3 bypass filters and if too large a restrictor is used it will bleed off too much oil leaving the engine oil pressure too low. I think this topic has been discussed a n few times, you might try searching for filter installation discussions. If the c4 is a full flow filter then the plumbing would be totally different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Have you tried looking at your oil pump maybe it's worn unless you have a new one ...i know guys over look it and install used pumps thinking it's fine without looking it over the gears could be worn....
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Same issue here, oil pressure light on at idle. Rebuild engine, new 26mm pump and using a Gene Berg full flow cover / complete kit from Gene Berg. Case tapped for full flow return in case oil gallery. When cold not an issue, but as soon as the oil is heating up the light will switch on at idle.

Swapped the fram filter for a bosch p2056 filter (smaller and black, looks better on a 57 oval window.

engine is a 1448cc 30hp.

any solutions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Hi guys
Thank you for your feedback. When the engine was rebuilt it had a new oil pump fitted. The C4 filter I have has a small hole in the inside of the middle rod section of about .020 thou. This is the only restrictor in the C4 pipe system. The oil outlet from the engine is fitted on the oil pressure switch. The return is on the engine fixed leg that holds the dynamo, approx half way down. I was thinking about increasing the hole size in the filter rod to increase oil flow as the outlet flexible pipe was fairly warm to touch but the inlet flexible back into the engine felt like normal temperature.
Do you need to bleed the filter go ensure a good flow/return?

Any help much appreciated
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Be aware that the original switch is a 0,25bar unit, many aftermarket ones are 0,5 bar.
And dont run on too low idle.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch Reply with quote

The oil pressure switch is a NOS. I have ordered a NPT brass fitting with a small restrictor hole. I will attach this to the inlet of the fram filter & see how this goes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: