Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40mm vs 44mm
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: 40mm vs 44mm Reply with quote

Would a 40mm idf flow the same amount of air as a 44 idf if they both
had the same size venturies ? Confused
Eric_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say, no. The butterfly is still different. A 44 choked down will have more pull on the fuel.

What are all these extra parts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The venturi is the limiting factor. For a given THROTTLE POSITION, the 44 will flow more, but at WOT conditions, the vent will limit the airflow, not the throttle bore size, so long as the vents are in the reasonable range of vents available for the smaller carb.
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind that the 40mm IDF/HPMX/DCNF/DRLA /whatever/ will run better on most 1835 and smaller and most 1915s too.

Easy to tune, ETC.. So many times I have experienced installing smaller carbs and the engine picks up power..

Even on 2000cc engines with mild cam and heads.. the 40mms work better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney wrote:
The venturi is the limiting factor. For a given THROTTLE POSITION, the 44 will flow more, but at WOT conditions, the vent will limit the airflow, not the throttle bore size, so long as the vents are in the reasonable range of vents available for the smaller carb.

For all practical purposes, yes. There is a difference between a restriction at one small point (venturi) and a restriction along a greater length (carb bore). In the case of a 5" tall carb, the difference is only slight but still exists.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's the difference between choked flow and loss per unit length of a specified pipe, but the venturi wins hands down in the case of air flow and the length of the "pipe" with air being the fluid.
Ken Taber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: 40 idf vs 44 idf Reply with quote

I have flowed both carbs on Gene Bergs flow bench and at wide open throttle both with 36mm venturies the 30 flowes 2.67" and the 44idf flowes 4.57"
Ken Taber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: 40 idf vs 44 idf Reply with quote

Sorry I just posted 30 and it should have been 40 idf flows 2.67 " and the 44 isdf flows 4.57"
Eric_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

Have you flowed the 48IDF like we spoke of at Superior Machine?

QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a single 40 with 32 vents now.

if the 44 with 32 vents flows more at WOT will I loose some of my lower rpm torque ? Confused

ERIC_S
do you have the results from the 48 test ?
Ken Taber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: 40 vs 44 idf Reply with quote

Yes I have flowed the 48 idf and stock with 45mm velosit stack and 40 mm venturi it flows 7.3 . After modifing the whole carb I can get it to flow 10.81 with a 43mm vent.
Eric_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

You were telling me about your mods to the 48IDFs. Can you do that to mine? Have you flowed any CB update kitted carbs? I have a set of 44s with updates to try. Check your PM.

mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 40 vs 44 idf Reply with quote

Ken Taber wrote:
Yes I have flowed the 48 idf and stock with 45mm velosit stack and 40 mm venturi it flows 7.3 . After modifing the whole carb I can get it to flow 10.81 with a 43mm vent.

Hey Ken, how goes? Last I talked to you, you had sent me some info on your work with the 48 IDFs, and it sounds like you're still at it. Do you have any info on what flow differences you have made to date with the changes other than the vents? I'm interested to see how it's going! Do you have any figures for 48 IDAs in stock trim with 40 or 42 vents?
Ken Taber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: 40 vs 44 Reply with quote

Mark you asked about 48 ida. Doug Berg on their bench flowed the stock 48 IDA with 42 mm vents. It flows 8.6. A fully profiled 48 IDA with 42 mm vents and custom Berg velosity stack flowes 10.86 . Doug Berg is the one that showed me how to profile the Webers. and Eric I can do your 48 IDF's. and no I have not flowed the 44 idfs with the CB update yet.
vwairheads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Thraen wrote:
keep in mind that the 40mm IDF/HPMX/DCNF/DRLA /whatever/ will run better on most 1835 and smaller and most 1915s too.

Easy to tune, ETC.. So many times I have experienced installing smaller carbs and the engine picks up power..

Even on 2000cc engines with mild cam and heads.. the 40mms work better.

art, i have 1956cc, tims stage1 heads,. you said 40 idfs are good for smaller engine, what vents size you use?thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: