Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Sorry we missed this Reply with quote

We're so sorry we missed this project. We just bought our '89 Syncro in late March and didn't know anything about this until we saw one that had been done in this group at a campout a few weeks ago. We know you're in the process of getting the brown ones done, but could we maybe start thinking about another gray round in a couple months. We'll be attending a big Westy campout this weekend and can start spreading the word. I'm thinking maybe late September since many may not want to part with their parts until after prime camping season.

About how long does it take for a complete project?
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the bay area, any info on which shop you used? Maybe I'll just pay for a single myself (he says not knowing how much it costs...) Laughing
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I thought stuff was still in the mail, y'all move fast! Thank you for your research into the color codes as I was not looking into the stove front but the ancillary metal items, table mount and legs etc (I think the gear shift would look sweet). Did the price break matter much for the powdercoating itself? And of course who was the coater? I look forward to installed pictures, especially if any have a comparison to original finishes. Thanks and sorry for not keeping up on this, just busy doing an engine swap and suspension rebuild.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the time you ship (if you are the first to ship) until you get yours back, I'd say about 4 weeks. If you are the last to ship then about 3 weeks. Best case would be 2 weeks. These are very small jobs for the vendors and larger orders take priority with them, so sometimes we get set aside for a few days.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown batch is being sent now. Two stoves have arrived. If you are local you can get in on this. I want to get this stuff to the powder coaters on Tuesday. The brown Stove refinish is in another thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Another gray batch?? Reply with quote

Any thoughts on doing another gray batch - maybe in the fall? I know I have a few people local to the Puget Sound area that would be interested.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, if you want to get the word out and start a list another batch could be done in the fall. Next time this is done, I'd opt for people getting their stoves powder coated at home and ready for screen printing, then send them in. I have not seen a sizeable discount for bulk powder coating and any savings are lost with shipping the extra parts that people want done at the same time, like grates and grills and table legs and brackets. Also, getting the prep done before you send it means you can choose your shade of brown or gray or red and glossy or satin. If anyone want to take the lead on this and coordinate another batch, I can get them printed.
skivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
Sure, if you want to get the word out and start a list another batch could be done in the fall. Next time this is done, I'd opt for people getting their stoves powder coated at home and ready for screen printing, then send them in. I have not seen a sizeable discount for bulk powder coating and any savings are lost with shipping the extra parts that people want done at the same time, like grates and grills and table legs and brackets. Also, getting the prep done before you send it means you can choose your shade of brown or gray or red and glossy or satin. If anyone want to take the lead on this and coordinate another batch, I can get them printed.

List started!

1: skivan (Jason) though I'm not volunteering for mgmt. sorry, but thanks if it happens.
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check on pricing here in Olympia, Wa and get back to the group. I think they have an $85 minimum, so my question to them will be how many parts can we do for $85?

Once I have the info, I'll announce it to my local club and see how many we can come up with by fall.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$85 is a deal breaker if you are doing one. My guy never mentioned a minimum. Maybe you can shop around a little. Good luck. IF its just stove faces I'd do the powder coating, but with all the extra parts that arrive it becomes a chore and for nothing.
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
$85 is a deal breaker if you are doing one. .

That's why I want to figure out how many they will do for that price then maybe I can get a bunch done all at once.

BTW, what color brand and paint code did you end up with for the gray? And do you remember the approximate cost per each stove face?
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:

I'd be in if the power coating is included, I passed it up this time because initially it sounded like I would need to get it done myself. Finding a shop, getting the right color getting it done and then shipping it is much harder than just taking it off, sending it out, and getting it back all done.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be down for pc and screen printing. Any info on the local powder coater? Like to get my table bracket done
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Finding a shop, getting the right color getting it done and then shipping it is much harder than just taking it off, sending it out, and getting it back all done.

I laughed when I read this because I've been doing this for EVERYONE and for no cost, Including identifying all the parts to make sure everyone gets the right stuff back. Yes, it takes hours to complete with shipping boxes piled up in my living room. If its too much trouble for you, what is it worth to have me do all this work? More than nothing I hope. We're about to complete our fourth batch (close to 50 stoves), powder coating has been included every time.
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9:

I completely understand your preferance to not have to get everyone's powder coating done. I, personally will be more than happy to get my own powder coating done locally to save having to send everything to you.

Could we set the end of October to be a time to send gray face plates to you for stenciling only? If this works for you, I'll announce it up here in Washington, Oregon area and see if we can get some others to join in.

My suggestion for keeping track of everyone's stuff is that 1. they must have their own powder coating done before sending it in, and 2. they need to securely affix their name & address to the back of the piece they are sending in.

Can you please suggest what works best for a shipping container for just the stove faceplate?

Thanks!
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess. Price break on printing is 10 stoves, same is true for the good quality powder coating shops. If you want to get a list going with a ship date, go for it. We can count heads at that time and see if we have enough to make it worth while.... Don't even think about cost until you have a count. If you tell everyone $100 for powder coating and printing and return shipping, you will be safe.

Powder coating... The shop I used was hit and miss, had to have them redo many of the parts, they came out better the second time, just another reason to have your parts done before shipping as the quality control is on your end, not mine... However, I think many shops have a minimum charge, making this way too expensive for just a single stove. I can do the powdercoating for stoves and face plates ONLY. If you have other parts you want done, you probably clear the shops minimum so no need to send your parts to me, make sense?

As for shipping, USPS has Dual-Use Priority Mail/Priority Mail Express Medium Tube for free, (triangle box) but you have to order 10 minimum. Its priority mail but not flat rate.

Shipping cost depends on distance and weight. The stove and face plate and medium shipping tube and some packing material weighs 3 pounds.

If you use the USPS calculate price, shipping to me is 94611, you are shipping a large package, and it weighs 3 pounds.

sample stove and medium USPS shipping tube:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. So to be clear, you will get the powder coating done as long as they only want the stove face plate done and the approximate cost would be $100 for both painting and stenciling. Can you give me a ballpark estimate for just the stenciling?

Thanks again.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
If you want to get a list going with a ship date, go for it. We can count heads at that time and see if we have enough to make it worth while....

If you guys want to get a list going and need at least 10 (or whatever) for powder coating and stenciling, I'm in.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, looks like I'm going to get this list started. Please PM me directly if you want to be added to the list.

I'll need,
1. name
2. email address
3. whether you need powder coating and stenciling or just stenciling.

I'm going to shoot for a ship date of October 30.

David, if you'll PM me your mailing address, phone # and email address, I'll pass the shipping info on to those who sign up once we know we have enough interest.

Remember this is just for gray front stoves.
bmdhacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the list looking?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: