Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmdhacks wrote:
How's the list looking?

So far, just 3 people, but I haven't announced it to my local group yet. If you have a local club, could you post to them also???
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Group of Gray Stove Panels - October 30, 2013

---------------------------------------

Believe it or not, our gray stove front panels used to be a nice shade of gray that matched the gray trim of our late model Vanagon Wesfalias, but over time, many have yellowed to a icky beige and some have developed rust or other staining. Powder coating and re-lettering is an inexpensive way to give your van an inexpensive facelift!

David, in Oakland, CA has agreed to coordinate this ONE MORE TIME. In the previous batches some people were sending him ALL the parts that they wanted powder coated (table poles, brackets, refrigerator grills, etc) and that turned into a bigger project than he had expected. This time he will only work with the stove front panels which includes the battery/water monitor panel. If you want other parts painted, you'll need to get them powder coated yourself before you send in just your stove panel for silk screening. Of course, if you're doing your own powder coating, you can choose any color you want, but just be aware, the silk screening for this batch will be done in black only.

I have volunteered to pull together a nationwide group of people who want to get their gray stove panels powder coated and silk screened. This is for people with the gray interior only. We will be mailing our stove panels on October 30, 2013. The process should take between 3-4 weeks. Keep in mind, you will still able to use your stove with the face panel removed. We need a minimum of 10 people for both the powder coating and the silk screening in order to get the price break we need to make it worthwhile.

The cost for both powder coating and silk screening is estimated to be $100.. For silk screening alone, the price will be about $60. Both these costs include return shipping. This is real silk screening - not decals and will be done in black only. The lettering includes the stove warning on the left, the battery and water level indicators, and the word WESTFALIA on the right side. The paint code for the powder coating is RAL 7037 which is a stock color that can be matched up in the future with a rattle can in case you want to paint any plastic parts, etc. Here is a link to a color chart if you want to see the color: http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/us/eng/services/color/color-selectors/ral-color/7000-series/

There are excellent instructions earlier in this thread for removing your stove front panel and also information on the proper shipping container to get. Unfortunately you can only order those free USPS shipping containers in batches of ten - so if you know of others in your area who will be participating, maybe you'll be able to coordinate sharing an order of containers.

If you'd be interested in joining this GRAY group, please PM me with your name, email address and whether you want powered coating AND silk-screening, or silk screening ONLY. Again, our ship date is October 30, so I'd like to know by October 1st if you're going to participate. I'll update this thread to keep you informed of how many people are signed up and in early October I'll get back to everyone with a mailing address to ship to. As of today, I have 3 people for powder coating and 4 for silk screening.

Thanks,
Colleen

Last edited by Simplified on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT explanation!!! Just a few notes:
1. You can send me your stove in any color you choose, however this is BLACK INK printing only.

2. The costs quoted above are estimates based on 10 or more stoves being silk screened, fewer than a batch of 10 and the per unit cost goes up. (The printer's setup costs are the same for 1 stove or 100).

3.If you want your stove powder coated here, then it will be GRAY RAL 7037 ONLY.

4. Powder coating includes sand or media blasting but it will not fix pitted badly rusted metal, that would require "body work".

And this may be the LAST batch I do, at least for a few years.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I want mine powder coated and silk screened.

I've seen a friends stove that got in on the first run, makes the interior of the van feel new again. Top notch job.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer its not available to brown interiors again ~ let us know if somehow you end up with enough people for a brown group!
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up.
PM on the way.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the October 2013 will look like this again?

madspaniard wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What if ours is in REALLY bad shape? Like it has lines from when some PO tried to paint around the water power buttons, holes from paint chips etc Does this process *fix* it or are we expected to sand it (or something??) first?

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Simplified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder coating includes sand blasting to get the piece down to bare metal. If there is rust that is actually pitting the metal it won't fix that, but bad previous jobs won't be a problem.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
Quote:
Finding a shop, getting the right color getting it done and then shipping it is much harder than just taking it off, sending it out, and getting it back all done.

I laughed when I read this because I've been doing this for EVERYONE and for no cost, Including identifying all the parts to make sure everyone gets the right stuff back. Yes, it takes hours to complete with shipping boxes piled up in my living room. If its too much trouble for you, what is it worth to have me do all this work? More than nothing I hope. We're about to complete our fourth batch (close to 50 stoves), powder coating has been included every time.

Just noticed your reply. It's definitely worth some $$$ in my opinion for your trouble. This is the type of thing I don't mind paying someone who is doing it, but I can't make the time to make it happen on my own. It's one of those priorities things, time vs money.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplified wrote:
New Group of Gray Stove Panels - October 30, 2013

---------------------------------------

Believe it or not, our gray stove front panels used to be a nice shade of gray that matched the gray trim of our late model Vanagon Wesfalias, but over time, many have yellowed to a icky beige and some have developed rust or other staining. Powder coating and re-lettering is an inexpensive way to give your van an inexpensive facelift!

David, in Oakland, CA has agreed to coordinate this ONE MORE TIME. In the previous batches some people were sending him ALL the parts that they wanted powder coated (table poles, brackets, refrigerator grills, etc) and that turned into a bigger project than he had expected. This time he will only work with the stove front panels which includes the battery/water monitor panel. If you want other parts painted, you'll need to get them powder coated yourself before you send in just your stove panel for silk screening. Of course, if you're doing your own powder coating, you can choose any color you want, but just be aware, the silk screening for this batch will be done in black only.

I have volunteered to pull together a nationwide group of people who want to get their gray stove panels powder coated and silk screened. This is for people with the gray interior only. We will be mailing our stove panels on October 30, 2013. The process should take between 3-4 weeks. Keep in mind, you will still able to use your stove with the face panel removed. We need a minimum of 10 people for both the powder coating and the silk screening in order to get the price break we need to make it worthwhile.

The cost for both powder coating and silk screening is estimated to be $100.. For silk screening alone, the price will be about $60. Both these costs include return shipping. This is real silk screening - not decals and will be done in black only. The lettering includes the stove warning on the left, the battery and water level indicators, and the word WESTFALIA on the right side. The paint code for the powder coating is RAL 7037 which is a stock color that can be matched up in the future with a rattle can in case you want to paint any plastic parts, etc. Here is a link to a color chart if you want to see the color: http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/us/eng/services/color/color-selectors/ral-color/7000-series/

There are excellent instructions earlier in this thread for removing your stove front panel and also information on the proper shipping container to get. Unfortunately you can only order those free USPS shipping containers in batches of ten - so if you know of others in your area who will be participating, maybe you'll be able to coordinate sharing an order of containers.

If you'd be interested in joining this GRAY group, please PM me with your name, email address and whether you want powered coating AND silk-screening, or silk screening ONLY. Again, our ship date is October 30, so I'd like to know by October 1st if you're going to participate. I'll update this thread to keep you informed of how many people are signed up and in early October I'll get back to everyone with a mailing address to ship to. As of today, I have 3 people for powder coating and 4 for silk screening.

Thanks,
Colleen

PMed!

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tamshops, can you post a photo of your very bad stove? Here is what mine looked like when I removed it. It looks new now...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was hoping so, but assume nothing! Wink
Simplified wrote:
Powder coating includes sand blasting to get the piece down to bare metal. If there is rust that is actually pitting the metal it won't fix that, but bad previous jobs won't be a problem.

Will do, but heading out the door for shopping, oh I mean camping! LOL

Mine looks like that, but also has an extra line around the water tank from extra paint. And, some extra added on paint spots. Sand blasting would take off the new paint, w/ the old...
davideric9 wrote:
Hey Tamshops, can you post a photo of your very bad stove? Here is what mine looked like when I removed it. It looks new now...
tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
bmdhacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the bay area, mind if I drop it off to you instead of mail it?
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, drop off is great (as well as pick up) pm me for details...
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why just gray?

Changing powders is a lot easier than changing liquid paint.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'll bite, what color other than gray did you have in mind? and why not just get this done in your favorite color before sending it for screen printing?

But to answer your question, I say just gray to keep this process simple (for me) and quick (for the stove owners). I have used a powder coater that did not stock the RAL 7037, so more expense and time to use a color that was not stocked by this guy.

The major benefit of doing a group stove facelift is spreading the printing setup cost over 10 (or more) stoves. Group powder coating can help as I have heard of some vendors requiring a $150 minimum order. So on the hi end, if you did this one at a time you might be looking at over $350 start to finish, for just one stove....
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a brown one from my 84 Westy that is slightly rusted, has been painted black in one section by a PO, has tape around the edges. Just found the thread last night, but I was thinking about calling one of my old vendors to see if he could do it. Will check with him to see if he has any of the colors mentioned in the brown thread.

Does your guy have white ink for the screen? If so, I'll get it coated here and have him screen it. That was the final unanswered question for me! Since I no longer have access to a vinyl printer for making some spray masks, it was a biggie.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what color stove you have this batch is with BLACK ink only for the printing. Changing to another color ink is about $100, so if we had 4 brown stoves with white ink, their cost would be $25 additional, 1 brown stove will be $100 additional. If the white ink westians are interested in this route, maybe this can happen. Will simplified be interested in coordinating this???
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am another brown with white ink who want to join the " brown stove panel group "

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being among those that have much more than the stove panel that need R&R, I'm currently looking for a local powder coating shop.

Anything special I should know and/or ask from the shop ?
- I've seen the color code
- I've seen the info about the extra clear coats to limit the gloss
- Is there any recommended rustproofing recommended? I'd hate to see the bottom fridge grille re-rust and chip the paint the first time I'll kick it and crack the coating.

Thanks,

Jean-Marc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: