Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

This may be old news, but I figured I would post it. The pivot pin in my new Alt style Brosol fuel pump fell out and of course the engine started running just like crap because it was starved for fuel. Less than 600 mi. on engine and pump. '71 with 1776 Dual Port. Found the pin up next to the Alt stand, so it must have come out the back of the pump. I will put it back in tonight and peen both sides of the pump around the pin so it will stay put. Damn it's cold here!

Last edited by TomWesty on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... it's a know problem.

Options are to peen the end, some JB Weld to hold it in or find a older pump that had the pin with the circlips.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

Whats the easiest way to put the pin back in?
Stuck on the side of the road with this problem right now
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

if you can get a small screw driver or nail etc into the center of the pivot then you can lever it into position to push the pin back in. Keeping it in may be a problem if it no longer has a C-clip or is no longer a press fit. If it is still tight, you might be able to hold a hammer on one side and gently tap it from the other side to drive it in, once you align the pivot hole. Worst case if you would need to remove the pump (but not the block) to push the pivot back into position so you can put the pin back in.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

The pump rod goes up and down, completing a cycle every TWO rotations of the engine, so rotate the engine slowly while keeping an eye on the hole; you may be able to line everything up.

If not, I would rotate the engine until alignment was closest, then loosen the fuel pump, using both nuts one turn at a time, until the pin and hole line up. Once you're home, pull the pump completely and clean/re-seal the base unless you used a non-hardening sealant like Curil, which might be good for one or two removals if the mating surfaces stay clean.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

For a quick, on-the-road fix I simply put a dime on either end of the dowel and held them in place with a wrapping of duct tape around the pump body. It held for a trip from Portland, Oregon to Paradise, California with a leisurely return via the coast. Of course I replaced the pump and peened the dowel upon my return when I has time.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

Got the pin in and got it home. It's a really tight fit and did not move at all on the way.

Is there a way get that pin to not move/come out? Right now it is pretty snug in there.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

jttosh wrote:
Got the pin in and got it home. It's a really tight fit and did not move at all on the way.

Is there a way get that pin to not move/come out? Right now it is pretty snug in there.

The bug forum is full of people who have made their own sulutions:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One fellow even makes these:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1338517

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

a machinist could make a rod for you that extends on both sides, then a groove to allow a C-clip on each side. The originals had a hat on one side and a C-clip on the other. If you could find such an old pump maybe you could pull the pin out if it is the same OD. Seems a shame the engineers screwed that one up. It is a really simple solution when manufacturing them.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

I simply used a prick punch and peened the body at the seam with the pin.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

The new Brosol pumps come with C-clips on either end of the rod, I have one and it does work.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

This is a bad example. But the indentations around the pin are made with a pointed chisel and a hammer. This is what is called staking (peening) the pin.
Note how the end of the pin is tapered, what you are doing is deforming the metal on the fuel pump body to lay into the tapered area on the pin.

tom_hd02 wrote:
Replaced the fuel pump pin with an exhaust clamp bolt.

JB weld job on Brazilian fuel pump to retain the fulcrum pin.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=961195

TimGud wrote:
Don't know what happened the last couple of years but I had always had good luck with Brosol pumps, that is until they changed the design of the pump arm pin. Two of mine came out with very few miles on them, needed one which is a 75 mile drive for me to buy so made new pins like they were a few years back. I know this is being very cheap but I hate throwing things out that I know have a lot more life in them.

EDIT: I used M6 x 65mm bolts as I couldn't find any 6mm round stock locally.

Overall pin length = 27mm, distance between e-clips = 23mm

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

Buy a used German Pierburg pump for $5 dollars and harvest the rocker pin and clips off it.

I have plenty of good used ones with clips. PM if interested.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d___dles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

I've tried looking for the purpose of the pivot pin in John Muir's book, here and google with no luck. Can anyone tell me what it actually does?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

d___dles wrote:
I've tried looking for the purpose of the pivot pin in John Muir's book, here and google with no luck. Can anyone tell me what it actually does?

It holds the operating lever in position, and provides the shaft around which the lever rotates in operation.

There's a good cutaway diagram of the stock fuel pump in the 66-69 Beetle Bentley manual.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

For those who live near the sea, chandleries sell clevis pins that will fit.

Also SSP are selling a new rebuildable E10 proof pump. I have one on my bus, the only problem is that it is taller than the stock pump, and it hits a centremount T1 progressive manifold casting.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d___dles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
d___dles wrote:

It holds the operating lever in position, and provides the shaft around which the lever rotates in operation.

There's a good cutaway diagram of the stock fuel pump in the 66-69 Beetle Bentley manual.

Awesome thank you for taking the time to respond. Will check out the diagram.
d___dles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

For those who want to see the cutaway diagram of the fuel pump:

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

If you buy a replacement rocker pin, make sure it's hardened. Both the original rocker pin and the rocker itself are hardened.

Even with the hardening treatment, I still see a ton of high mileage German Pierburg fuel pumps with worn out rocker pins and rockers.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d___dles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pivot Pin on Brosol fuel pump Reply with quote

This is most likely me being paranoid but I just made a metal thing to hold the pivot pin from popping out(keeps popping out the back if front means front of the bus), looks like the previous owner JB welded it and it cracked.

My question is, what are the odds that the nut holding down the metal plate thing I made loosens, the plate swings around and shreds up the fan belt? I tightened down the nut pretty good but I drive on bumpy roads often and unsure how much the engine rattles around. Again, I'm probably just being paranoid.

Here's a photo:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: