Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Regulator How-To
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germanclassicg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WOW Nice Article!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Wild Bill wrote:
fergy1008 wrote:

Now I just need a little warmer weather. Thank You for the post.

Worked on my bus and bug today...Short sleeve weather..67F..Move to Florida!! lol Wink

And thats a cold winter day down here.
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEI Jonny wrote:
Hi everyone, wow what a great tutorial! I was terrified to do this! but now it doesn't seem so bad! one question though...what if I can not roll the window down to get the glass out? has anyone encountered this? my mechanism is broken which means I can't roll the window down, luckily it broke as I was putting up the window, that would've made for a chilly ride home! thanks

If the window is cranked all the way up, you can unbolt the glass from the regulator through these two slotted holes. I think you'll be ok if you unbolt everything else and work the glass out. After that you might be able to force the regulator straight down (the part that moves up/down with the crank)...though I didn't try it. I suppose you could try to use the crank while pushing down on the glass???
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eric2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take the regulator bolts out through those oval slots. My regulator was so badly rusted that the crank would not turn at all.

I really liked this tutorial. Awesome attention to detail, and very good step by step illustrations. Without it, it would have taken me forever to get my regulator out!!

Thanks a bunch!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastalDefender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best How-To I have read in a long time. Smile
guidosarduchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I would do this and possibly run into a huge snag - is the procedure any different for a convertible door?

Thanks - awesome write up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksie boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsome post . after reading this i went and fixed both of my windows . thganks for the pics , it made the difference .
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! My 74 Bug is now one step closer to being my daily driver - it no longer takes both hands and lots of swearing to roll the driver's window up or down. The amount of gunk and rust in that channel was amazing - now it moves smoothly. I'll get the passenger's side later - at this point I'm concentrating on the stuff that keeps me from driving.

Stray Catalyst
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the teriffic write-up. I knew my regulators needed work, but without this thread I would have just left it as-is, because I would screw something up. Passenger's side took about 3 hours (did that first...), driver's side took about an hour...lol
ThomasRMyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nicely done. I had to replace the driver's side window in my Super Beetle a few years ago, when someone threw a rock at it... but I don't remember having removed the vent window, which is probably why it was rather difficult to install the new regulator. I got it in, but the window rolls down beyond the door frame, if you're not careful, and it takes a little more effort to roll it up than to roll it down. Gah.
RA 70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tutorial. Hardest part was getting the vent window out...... Other then that about an hour job, now its time for the passenger window.
DUBLUVIT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: curious Reply with quote

If you loosen the 2 regulator bolts will the window just free fall or is something else holding it up?
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See steps 7 and 9...the window won't free fall since the bottom of the regulator is in the way. You'll have to pull it toward you to provide enough clearance to remove the window. Just be careful with it.
Scooter 60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post,

one question regarding the metal parts. Is anyone as anal as i am and while i do have my Ghia c o m p l e t e l y dis-assembled, Rolling Eyes what rust prevention do you guys use on such parts? White Zinc is that i have heard. Just wondering.....

Thanks so much,
Scooter
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice tutorial Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oconnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Looking for tutorial Reply with quote

I would like to know if anyone has a tutorial on replacement of outside scraper with aluminum trim and inside scraper?

Thanks
O'Connell
restoration of 67 bug
drive 73 Fat chick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that reads this before they try this project, lucky you.

I spent about 12 hours trying to get the regulator reinstalled numerous times on my "74 beetle, Bruises up the arm!! I had read up about the process but no mention of the vent window pillar causing such a major hang up. I got the problem solved by using a small pry bar in the door opener bracket and pushing it gently out the open window. This gave just enough clearance between the inside door panel and the bottom of the pillar to get the regulator to slide in. This probably not the ideal way but it worked with no damage to the metal or frame.

Appreciate your time on this!
oconnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: regulator Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight.
oconnell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look's like a nice write up. Especially for someone who has never seen the inside of the door.

In case your car doesn't have a vapor barrier on the door.
A hot glue gun and clear plastic from Home Depot works great after the regulator rebuild/replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bniemann81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: trouble removing glass Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent writeup. I'm still having trouble...

We need to replace the whole lift assembly on the driver's side of a 1969 Type 2- after spending all afternoon on it, removing every bolt, and even going so far as cutting the old lift assembly out (!), we still can't get the glass out. All instructions we can find make it sound as if you just take out a few bolts and the glass comes out the bottom - but it seems as though the tracks are keeping us from being able to angle the glass so it will come out. We also removed the bottom bolt from the rear track and it still won't come out.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Bret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved all the detail and photos and I think you just helped with one of my problems.my vent window look like they are trimmed in rust. Can I get new ones or should I just have them replated Question Question
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: