Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Regulator How-To
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeetleBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Window regulator Reply with quote

This is one of the BEST write-ups I have seen!!

THANK YOU

Bob
Willhelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and yet another "thank you". Top notch documentation. Saving this link for sure.
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tutorial Laughing can you do how to install new wing vent rubber seal?thanks Wink
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Diego Wolfwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing tutorial! My '70 Sedan is in need of scrapers, felt, rubber, and the regulators cleaned. Basically I need to fix up the entire door on each side. This tutorial will help me immensely, I'm bookmarking it Very Happy

Thank you so much for this!
str8buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 here diego, I'll be using this to clean everything up before I install new door panels. Luckily I can cut out a few beginning steps from this since I have no door panels at all now lol

1970 Beetle 1600SP <--build thread (0\ ! /0)....SOLD

19__ VW _(insert next project here)__
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
Don’t forget to reinstall the large spring behind the window crank, wide side toward the inside of the car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What is the purpose of these springs? I got my car with them off, and the window handles are functioning as they should. Do these springs do anything?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question. I'd say it's to ensure that when you crank the window the end doesn't hit the door panel, and also to keep the window crank tight up against the spacer/buffer for appearance's sake.
vdubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tutorial. It's obviously helped a lot of people since it was first posted and will continue for a long time to come.

I am just now reinstalling everything back inside my 1974 doors after dis-assembly for a paint job.

I am having problems with the glass jamming against the brand new outer window scraper rubber as the window gets to within 4 inches of full closure. I force cranked it thinking that the glass was stuck because the brand new felt channels were tight, and have actually managed to pull the scraper from the door where it abuts the vent window frame and has actually damaged inside metal strip which secures the scraper rubber to the polished aluminum trim. I'm going to disassemble all and see if I can savage this outside scraper.

I paid a higher price for a "German" scraper from one of the better known VW parts suppliers. If it isn't a topic of discussion ("German" parts) on the forums it should be because I wonder about the origin of these "German" parts. They actually have it in quotes on the labels attached to the parts.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubber wrote:

I paid a higher price for a "German" scraper from one of the better known VW parts suppliers. If it isn't a topic of discussion ("German" parts) on the forums it should be because I wonder about the origin of these "German" parts. They actually have it in quotes on the labels attached to the parts.

The Made in Germany discussion pops up every so often when people are sometimes surprised to see their "Made in Germany" catalog part has a Made in Italy (etc) sticker on it. False/misleading advertising is rampant with ACVW online parts sellers. Whenever I question one of those parts I get the " It's made by a German company so they consider it made in Germany. Of coarse that's BS, but that's the talking point. Occasionally I see the description corrected to Make In European Union or something, but not always.
Reality is there are some but very few Made in Germany parts still actually made in Germany. I will say that the "fake" Made in Germany parts are not usually counterfits but as I said made by a German company in another country. They are usually better made than anything else around but it's still misleading. Anytime I'm paying extra for Made In Germany I always call them to confirm it. I first started noticing that on brake cylinders but it's all over the place now

BornMexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to take pics and explain the process.
Super Grover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Window Regulator Reply with quote

SO.... I followed the Awesome step by step instructions and without the window attached the crank works Great up and down. Once I bolt the window window seams to weigh the regulator down and the crank starts skipping gears as if it can't handle the load.
s_merchak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting post. I might be using it soon to fix the driver side window on my 72 Beetle. I was wondering though if someone could tell me what tools exactly I would need to follow the procedure. Thanks.
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many...let's see:
- panel remover tool (or putty knife, or your bare hands if you can get the panel started)
- phillips screwdriver (smaller one for the window crank, larger for the vent wing removal)
- 10 mm socket wrench or box wrench
- needle nose pliers

That's about it. But you will also need some materials:
- white lithium grease spray can (silicone might work too)
- Q-tips
- brake cleaner
- a few inches of foam tape
- glass cleaner
- paper towels
- plastic vapor barrier
- double sided tape or hot melt glue

Not to mention care and patience!
69vduber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

write up very well done ... Thanks
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up. I am tearing down my bug for a resto. and am definitely saving this post,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this up........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
azsunny58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: installing front crank windows Reply with quote

We've recently changes out our vent window seals. After trying for HOURS to re-install the driver's and passenger side windows, we aren't any closer to success. I've seen videos of the installation and read this helpful thread, but it hasn't helped a bit. Not sure where we are going wrong with the process, but any other tips would be appreciated. It almost seems as if there is not enough room for the window and the regulator. We can't get the window past the frame of the regulator in the top of the door and so it blocks the window from going up.
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: installing front crank windows Reply with quote

azsunny58 wrote:
We've recently changes out our vent window seals. After trying for HOURS to re-install the driver's and passenger side windows, we aren't any closer to success. I've seen videos of the installation and read this helpful thread, but it hasn't helped a bit. Not sure where we are going wrong with the process, but any other tips would be appreciated. It almost seems as if there is not enough room for the window and the regulator. We can't get the window past the frame of the regulator in the top of the door and so it blocks the window from going up.

Did you catch step 24 and 25 about the recess in the inner door skin? How about step 19?

Just a thought...

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Great Write Up !!! Reply with quote

This is such a great write up....
Thanks to VOLKSWAGNUT for sending me the link...

Zach
THE KUDU HORN.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, awesome, awesome! - I wish I had looked on the forum "before" I spent 4 frustrating hours yesterday. The trick you showed tilting the vent wing was the winner. - Thanks for the time you took putting it all together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dasleftcoaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bless you my son!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: