Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Regulator How-To
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

This is an excellent tutorial, I finished this project on the passenger side last night, and am very pleased with the results. I used lithium grease on this one, but will try "Sil-Glide" (NAPA) on the drivers side when I get to that. Supposed to have the same "no-drip, no-run, won't-harden" qualities as lithium, but even slicker.
KenM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

The problem for the 1971 Beetle sedan is it seems impossible to get the metal bracket screwed to the armrest to go into the open end metal bracket, that holds the panel on to the door, without destroying the door paint and possibly breaking panel metal clips. There seems to be no way to bend the panel enough to get it to slide inside that door clip. Obviously it is much easier if you can screw the armrest on to the door after the panel has been installed. If that bracket is not in that slot, there is nothing to allow the door to be closed without potentially causing several panel clips to pop out.

I have not found any how to on this frustration.

Ken
KenM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

KenM wrote:
The problem for the 1971 Beetle sedan is it seems impossible to get the metal bracket screwed to the armrest to go into the open end metal bracket, that holds the panel on to the door, without destroying the door paint and possibly breaking panel metal clips. There seems to be no way to bend the panel enough to get it to slide inside that door clip. Obviously it is much easier if you can screw the armrest on to the door after the panel has been installed. If that bracket is not in that slot, there is nothing to allow the door to be closed without potentially causing several panel clips to pop out.

Ken

Any help is appreciated.

Ken
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

KenM wrote:

Ken

The method I use is simple. Start with the door panel all set up with clips and the handle installed. Position the door card about a 1/2" above the metal door channel for the card bracket. While pushing in the door card, to eventually have the bracket engage with the door channel, I also, slightly pull out the top of the door card so as not to allow the door card clips to scratch the paint. The door bracket will be pushed against the door inner metal and will find the channel. You will know it is engaged when all of the clips are in their relative positions for their seperate holes, and you can pull on the pull handle and the card does not move towards you without the door.

Then go around the perimeter and position the clips to reside in there door holes. After all of them are lined up, hit each one in, one at a time. Reassemble the remaining door components.

Hope that helps. That door card can be bent a fair amount.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
KenM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

I tried that same technique multiple times. It will not bend enough to catch the tab, plus the clips start catching the painted areas (covered with tape, but it still hangs up there when trying to push it down. I then had issues with the lower clips as well. The how to guide mentions there is/was a strap that caught the tab instead of the armrest bracket, itself. The picture in Haynes is too small and poor quality to see what that strap is, and I could not find any mention of it on any other source. It looks like it may have been some "seat belt like" material.

Ken
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

Never seen a cloth type strap, VW did put a piece of upholstery material in glued to the strap, more of a filler for tightness . A cloth strap will not work for very long, door panel will get loser each time you close the door.

Jimbo plan will work. I set the panel in place with a bath towel draped across the top which covers down to the metal strap for the door handle, then tilt the panel back at the top only, raise the panel only enough to clear the slot for the strap, keeping the lower portion against the door, push in a little at the center, catch the strap, lower the panel in place, remove the towel, line up the clips, whack whack whack and you are done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KenM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Never seen a cloth type strap, VW did put a piece of upholstery material in glued to the strap, more of a filler for tightness . A cloth strap will not work for very long, door panel will get loser each time you close the door.

Jimbo plan will work. I set the panel in place with a bath towel draped across the top which covers down to the metal strap for the door handle, then tilt the panel back at the top only, raise the panel only enough to clear the slot for the strap, keeping the lower portion against the door, push in a little at the center, catch the strap, lower the panel in place, remove the towel, line up the clips, whack whack whack and you are done.

The towel is a great idea. I will have to try that.
The clips were still hitting on the bottom and the sides, so I will try draping and taping the towels around the outer framework. Hopefully I can push the center enough, but this panel does not like to be bent much at all.
Thank you for the suggestions. I assume the door crank spring is also installed after the panel is connected to the tab.
zerzat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubber wrote:
Excellent tutorial. It's obviously helped a lot of people since it was first posted and will continue for a long time to come.

I am just now reinstalling everything back inside my 1974 doors after dis-assembly for a paint job.

I am having problems with the glass jamming against the brand new outer window scraper rubber as the window gets to within 4 inches of full closure. I force cranked it thinking that the glass was stuck because the brand new felt channels were tight, and have actually managed to pull the scraper from the door where it abuts the vent window frame and has actually damaged inside metal strip which secures the scraper rubber to the polished aluminum trim. I'm going to disassemble all and see if I can savage this outside scraper.

I paid a higher price for a "German" scraper from one of the better known VW parts suppliers. If it isn't a topic of discussion ("German" parts) on the forums it should be because I wonder about the origin of these "German" parts. They actually have it in quotes on the labels attached to the parts.

I’m having a similar issue as vdubber with the glass jamming. I replaced all the scrapers and channels as well as the regulator. Now the window rocks forward and jams against the vent channel. I can manually pull it back but I can’t seem to adjust it away. Any tips?

Edit: just needed to take a break. Came back a couple days later and was able to adjust the window mounting properly
LM Stoneworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

driver window is still sticking cranking up about half way the window shifts or tilts forward a bit from there I have to grab top of the window pull it up and towards the back as i crank it up. Maybe the plastic guides on the regulator getting sloppy they don't seem to be loose.
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

The same thing happens with my driver side. I think if I adjust the bolts that hold the base of the glass that that'll fix it. I'm just too lazy right now to do it.
...Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boom10ful
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

Sorry if it's obvious, but is it possible to remove just the door panel and tilt the vent window assembly as shown without removing the window regulator or glass? I need to tighten that pivot bolt on it in order for it to actually blow air in my face when I drive Laughing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

Yes. You'll have to reach your fingers up there and you'll feel the head of the tightening bolt. I don't remember what size it is, but I have a wrench that I bent a little that works great.
...Rich

You don't need to tilt the window.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

My regulator has always done this on the drivers side. It goes up and down very smoothly. As the window gets about three quarters of the way down , you could put pressure on the forward part of the window and it will move slightly up or down as it moves away from the front most felt channel. I noticed this by mistake many years ago. WhAt holds the whole window, solidly in place. I know the two bolts hold the clamp onto the window frame and then there are two bolts to the frame of the car. It’s not really a big deal, just wondering. Like I said, once the window is fully in the front and rear channels on the way either up or down, about 1/4 way up all the way to the top there is no play at all, only when it gets toward the bottom and you look for it. been like this for a long time but just wondering, where that slop would be from. I’m assuming the felt channels?
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

Wow, this is a fantastic guide to fixing up a beetles door functions ! Both of my doors need some tic, and after viewing the guide ( extremely well put-together) and reading the replies, I feel up to tackling my doors.

Thank you Mike ! I greatly appreciate your help !
Fair-cooled.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

Mnussbaum, what do you mean by ‘making sure the top of the regulator is inside the bottom of the vent window upright’?? Do you have a photo that shows what you mean? I’m just trying to understand what you said. Thank you!
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator How-To Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
Mnussbaum, what do you mean by ‘making sure the top of the regulator is inside the bottom of the vent window upright’?? Do you have a photo that shows what you mean? I’m just trying to understand what you said. Thank you!

So today, I did the removal and re-install of my passenger door window regulator on the beetle today. It got overly difficult for my young son to operate the window, especially when cranking to put the window back up.

While I don't have a photo, what (Mnussbaum) means is make sure the top of the regular (top side of channel with gear inside) is when propped into the door is between the inside part of the door and the vent window bar. Ask me how I know Smile The window and all just will not work right at all if the bottom of the vent window bar is on the wrong side.

Thank you for Mnussbaum for putting this together, I had this page bookmarked for when the day comes to do this project. It was a success, thank you again.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: