Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Vanagon "What is it worth? Should I buy it?&qu
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Official Vanagon "What is it worth? Should I buy it?&qu Reply with quote

Seems like everyday someone starts a new thread asking the same question(s), "what's this Van worth and should I buy it?". Well, now it's my turn but I figured maybe this could be the start of consolidating the information.
What I'm thinking about buying:
Non-runner due to a "clogged, rusty gas tank" as per owner, '85 GL 7 seater, clean inside, some body issues but not that bad and it's the color I'm looking for, needs one CV, good glass. Clutch and brake pedals feel good, no visible coolant leak, little bit of trans and engine weep. Exhaust is strange, looks like a glass pack after the Cat.
Owner claims it has a rebuilt motor w/50K. The tires were probably good when parked, now seem a bit "dry" but might be ok, it's been sitting non-op for a bit over a year.
What's it worth, face value, non runner? How much more do you pay based on the hearsay claims that it "was a good runner"? FWIW the seller seems like a nice honest lady but with little mechanical experience. Sorry, no pic right now but I can run out and take some in a couple of minutes if there is interest. Thanks in advance for any help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in the market for an 85 non-pop top, I wouldn't go 500 for this, even if the body had no rust. That doesn't mean it isn't worth more, but it sounds like it has a lot of known issues, and some very possible undisclosed issues. This might be a 200 $ van to me.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I offered $500, she wants $1000, seems firm on that price (at least says her husband is firm at the price). The fact that it's "local" is worth something to me but not that much (I live in a somewhat remote area). Here's a picture:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like it then it is worth $1000. The $500 difference is chump change when you 'know' you'll put a few thousand in it to get it right. YMMV of course. Smile

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that you could spend a few hundred more and get a decent 7 pass GL that runs and drives. I have seen quite a few on CL lately for under $2k. I saw a '88 Gl on hwy 522 (in LFP) that sat and sat and finally sold for under 1500.

Like the other dude said, I would be hard pressed to spend more than $500 on a Gl passenger vanagon I could not drive home.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get something like this, find a used engine, swap it in yourself, and end up with the same 1000 spent, but have a nicer body.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/1489395020.html
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan, I agree the difference is "chump change" in the big picture. Maybe it's more of a principle thing, I'm kind of soured on the van at this point anyway. At least I don't feel like I was low-balling her offering $500 anymore.

levi, that '90 is cheap and looks like it has a clean body, as long as the pass side is good. I checked the extra photos on the link in the ad and the interior is trashed. Problem with something like that is I'd have to buy it sight unseen and have it shipped over closer to me, no way I can get out there and tow it home this time of year.

Franklinstower, I've gone and looked at some of the under $2k "runners" over in the Seattle area. It's a bit of a costly mission to go on and so far has yielded nothing but disappointments.

My plan is to do a Bostig conversion on whatever I buy. Ideally I'd like it to be a runner so I can kick it around town for a couple of months catching up on the non-motor maintenance areas and issues. Anyway, thanks again for the opinions.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet her half way. Offer $750. A vehicle that does not run is only worth scrap value if they have to junk it. If the fuel tank is shot, you are looking at a new tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, possibly a sending unit, gas tank reseal kit, having the injectors cleaned and I am surprised no one said it.
Quote:
REPLACE THE FUEL LINES.

All of this to see if the engine will start. If it has been sitting, the cylinder walls could be rusted. I think you have plenty to bargain with. Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: