Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil light dim
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: oil light dim Reply with quote

My oil light in the instrument cluster is very dim. I did not think LED's can be dim, I was under the impression that they are on or off. Any suggestions. All other indictor lights are bright.
I'm going to try to get out there tomorrow, but do not have a new bulb like that, where would I get one, Radio Shack?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure, but I don't think that IS an LED. I think it's a normal 12v bulb. Question really should be why is it glowing at all. Are you saying it's dim when it SHOULD be on, like at start up? Or does it glow dimly all the time?

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only dim at start up or if the engine stalls. The light is not on while I am driving. I am trying to work out all of the electrical gremlins, and that is one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcairns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does same sometimes. Think it is because of moisture either at the oil switch or on the wire. Once engine wams up a little, litght goes out. 84 gl.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: oil light Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
Hmm, not sure, but I don't think that IS an LED. I think it's a normal 12v bulb.

Yes, the oil light is an LED. The only one in that indicator light set that is a regular bulb is the high-beam indicator- it is an incandescent bulb with a small blue sleeve over it.

LEDs do not have to "on or off," as in full brightness or not at all, although each of those dash LEDs should be either on or off to indicate turn signal on, oil pressure problem, etc. But if there is some reason that enough current or voltage is not getting to them, they could be dim. Just think of an LED flashlight. They get more dim as the battery gets weaker.

If you have a weakly lit LED for the oil pressure warning light, I'd imagine it's a problem with the wiring in the dash, at the oil pressure sensor, or somewhere in between, or with the bulb itself.

Ed in CT
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed in Ct.
Tanks for that. I still have not found the reason thati it is dim yet. But that was very helpful, I will look into all those choices you gave. I'll let you guys know when I find it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: