Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

V10 Ghia
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: V10 Ghia Reply with quote

Hello everyone

My Name is Jamie Walters I am the project manager for SideWinder Ghia out of IL. I just wanted to give all the Ghia Lovers here the heads up on this rather unique build we are undertaking in conjunction with DeanZ Rodz and Race Carz.

The car is 1968 VW ghia (body) coupled with a new 2006 Viper v10 and t-56 trans. It is a crazy ride and has gathered allot of attention even in the early stages of the build. The car is sponsored by 21 major parts manufactures , one of them being KGPR (Karmann Ghia Parts and Restoration).
We have also had interest from Hot VW, and Performance VW magazine as well as HotRod magazine wanting to do articles on the car when it is completed. We have a build site you can check out and track the build for all those interested. here it is: www.deanzrodzandracecarz.com You can look under the "What's next" section and also check out our "Sponsors" section to see the name backing the build. I am sure we will see some of you at the shows this summer. Thanks allot.
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious - why did you choose to go with that engine?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

But hell... be my guest.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cori93437
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thst's not just blasphemy, it's down right heritical.
If you're going to completely demoralize a Ghia you could have at least used a Fat chick. Confused

Cori

Wish List:
'73 Thing!
Renault 4cv, Triumph TR4, A garage and wallet big enough to handle every car(and motorcycle) I fancy!
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I say go for it- You look well equipped to build a full custom ghia- I look forward to watching the progress!

Cool

You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/Seth-Draper-Art-Ceramics/150919701594700?ref=mf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you follow through and do it...go for it...cant wait to see it. I dont mind you chopping on a early Ghia...Ive seen people do a whole lot worse!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a personal rule, I always am immediately suspicious of anyone who uses the letter Z as a pluralizer or as a suffix of ownership. Dunno. Just me.

Anyway, interesting project. Not sure why the challenge is being taken up, or what possessed the crew to try to adapt the Viper powertrain into the KG shell. Almost sounds like the old Wile E. Coyote Strap The Acme Rocket To The Lawn Chair Nailed To The Toboggan I'm Gonna Get That Roadrunner project.

Advice [under breath]: make sure the test pilot has kissed his wife and kids before the first drive, and his life insurance policy premiums are paid up.
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys see the V12 Miata in the performance/engines section? Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He was looking for help tuning the 6 carbs!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=328557&highlight=hpmx

If that Ghia was a vert, they'd make quite a pair...
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
As a personal rule, I always am immediately suspicious of anyone who uses the letter Z as a pluralizer or as a suffix of ownership. Dunno. Just me.

not just you. I was going to say something but was trying to be polite. Surpised KGPR is involved in this. Rolling Eyes
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwin wrote:
retrowagen wrote:

not just you. I was going to say something but was trying to be polite. Surpised KGPR is involved in this. Rolling Eyes

I will admit I used to make an exception for Cheez Wiz, but then I turned twelve and my taste buds developed... Laughing

Glad Scotty is involved. The wolves need to be kept from the doors of guys like him, if they can be, in these troubled times.
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again everyone

Just to answer a few question about the build. First being , why did we choose the GEN 3 V10. Well, we wanted the most radical and crazy build this year. We wanted to make 600 Hp and still have an engine that will give us a long healthy life. That is very achievable with this 505 cubic inch monster.

I know this is one of those builds that some VW lovers will no like (see above comments) however, I think anyone that is a CAR lover and loves different, and crazy custom rides will love this car. And lets face it, some of VW guys like it as well. Scott at KGPR is one of them and so is Mike at House of Ghia. This is not a trailer Queen, it is being built to be driven, with plans for track time on the drag strip and road course as well as some very long cruise in shows. The cool thing is that allot of people in the performance industry that didnt even know what a "Ghia" was are taking notice. I have always loved the Ghia body style, but I also love one off crazy creations. I just love cars really. Dean is master engineer and machinist and accomplished chassis builder, with over 25 years under his belt. He loves the car and the concept and is developing 1 off CNC suspension components for this car, including a independent rear end. The car is currently being built and is due for completion for the summer show schedule. So, yes... it will be done.
This build started as a ministry outreach for the church I am in. My wife and I started to fund the build out of our person money as a way of drawing in the men and teens to fellowship and work together. The concept took off when I met Dean Laurent and now has grown into a fully sponsored build.
Hope that helped fill in some blanks for everyone. Thanks for the comments guys.

By The way I LOVE the Z in DEANZ..LOL
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwin wrote:
Just curious - why did you choose to go with that engine?

Just a very solid and powerful engine that will make allot of HP and still be very drivable. It also is just plain crazy to say you have a V10 in a Ghia. We think allot of the sponsors agree. Thanks for the question
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
As long as you follow through and do it...go for it...cant wait to see it. I dont mind you chopping on a early Ghia...Ive seen people do a whole lot worse!

It will be done.. It's well underway and we hope to have it completed for the shows this summer. Thanks for the comments
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:

Anyway, interesting project. Not sure why the challenge is being taken up, or what possessed the crew to try to adapt the Viper powertrain into the KG shell. Almost sounds like the old Wile E. Coyote Strap The Acme Rocket To The Lawn Chair Nailed To The Toboggan I'm Gonna Get That Roadrunner project.

Advice [under breath]: make sure the test pilot has kissed his wife and kids before the first drive, and his life insurance policy premiums are paid up.

I am the test pilot...lol my wife loves the car, she wants to drive it !!
See the other comment I made as to why and how the car was started. Thanks for you comment.
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwin wrote:
retrowagen wrote:

Dont be surprised about Scott being involved, it's all business to Scott and he knows the value of PR this car will bring, as do the other 20 major sponsors.
Thanks for your comment
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a bigger picture of this one

kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:

Sorry I don't. We hope to have a rendering done as the model is not "exact". The rims are different, the lights up front have been changed and the interior is much more contemporary. Although the over all stance, color, and attitude are staying the same all project concepts progress as the build does. Thanks
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwalters wrote:
hpw wrote:

Sorry I don't. We hope to have a rendering done as the model is not "exact". The rims are different, the lights up front have been changed and the interior is much more contemporary. Although the over all stance, color, and attitude are staying the same all project concepts progress as the build does. Thanks

No problem, are you losing the bumpers? It looks like it in the picture.

Personally I think the bumpers are sexy on a ghia. Cool
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit of a purist in that I'd like any ghia conversion project to, at a minimum, remain rear engined with a horizontally opposed engine. I can't tell from the description, but it sounds like you're going for a rear, as opposed to mid, engine configuration. That said, however, I'm curious and look forward to seeing updated on your progress. Smile
cori93437
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The cool thing is that allot of people in the performance industry that didnt even know what a "Ghia" was are taking notice. " - kjwalters

... sorry that I can't necessarily see that as a good thing. Even if you do a great job on your custom it will only inspire more hack jobs. Sad A hack job on any vintage car is a shame in my opinion. $.02 I happen to love Ghias so that feeling is amplified somewhat in this case. Wink

"My wife and I started to fund the build out of our person money as a way of drawing in the men and teens to fellowship and work together." - kjwalters

... I totally get how a couple of buddies, or even a small group, helping each other out building their cars is a cool bonding experience. I do not get how pulling together sponsers to pay for a shop to build a car inspires fellowship. Confused Maybe it's just me missing something there... but in my experience really feeling involved with a build entails getting your hands dirty. Maybe you're going to sell the car at some point and put all that cash back into the community and that's the draw??? Whatever... totally off topic really.

GL with your build and I respect your right to have at it.
Cori

Wish List:
'73 Thing!
Renault 4cv, Triumph TR4, A garage and wallet big enough to handle every car(and motorcycle) I fancy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: