Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Matthew Blackburn and his 67 delux
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffgagnon Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Matthew Blackburn and his 67 delux Reply with quote

hello all my friends and clients in the VW world. this is jeff gagnon in sioux falls, SD. i'm sure alot of you out there have either bought parts, had something fixed, or had a VW built by me. to the people out there that do know me, you know that i am a good guy and do quality work out of my shop. i'm sure alot of my fellow dubers in Minnisota will vouch for this
so the problem is that i have a very pissed off customer right now, matt blackburn. i built him a beautiful 67 13 window delux a while back
Matt flew in to look at the bus while it was still in my shop, before delivery, we spent about 4 hours together looking over the bus, inside, out and we even crawled under it to make sure everything was up to his spec. and after everything was said and done he ended up paying for the bus. he felt everything was perfect about the bus and was more than happy with the finished product, less the motor cuz i dont think that was installed yet
he wanted me to lower the bus 3.5 inches all around, so i did. at the time of his visit he was more than pleased with the stance of the bus.
so i continued to finish up loose ends, put all the little remaining parts on and put in the motor.
then a few days later i am contacted by Matt saying the bus was not what he wanted, confused at first, since a few days earlier the bus was perfect, he wanted it lower to the ground and a stock width front beam on. so i told him the troubles that one may have with a real low bus. i let him know that taking off the rear wheels is a pain (he had 6.5 inch rears on it)
and that you need to use a scissor jack b/n the axle tube and frame to get the tires low enough to pull our of the fender wells. then i told him that on the front, with a stock length beam and wider tires there would be a chance that it would rub on the doglegs, after that all being said. he told me to do it.
so i did it for him, i built him a new adj. beam took the narrowed one off, having to pull the cables, steering parts ans shift linkage. to most shops that is probably 3 to 4 hour job, Right. and then to build another beam is another 3 to 4 hours, and that"s just the front. now the rear is also another 4 hour job, to pull the tubes, brake lines and spring plates off to move it up a spline, and then reassemble. got it it all done sent some picks to Matt and he was now very happy about the bus, said it was more of what he had in mind. then it was time to get some lower profile tires in the front since the first set i had bought for him were already close to rubbing in the front. we decided to go with a set of Pirreli P Zeros on it. so i ordered them. then i told him i was going to add on 6 hours of labor, and the cost of the new tires. that"s when the S#@T hit the fan. he did not want to pay for it, claiming that it was my fault that the bus was"nt built to his specks. so instead of getting raged with him, i just ate the cost, knowing he would never pay for it anyway.
now his bus was ready to deliver, i loaded it up and drove 1500 miles to deliver it. made it to Washington safely. i unloaded the bus, we took it for a drive, making sure everything was in good working order, and at the time the bus ran, drove, stopped and functioned great. so once again Matt and I went through a check list of all the mechanical, electrical, paint and body, and interior. he singed off on all these points and noted that the bus was "awesome". so that being said i was on my way back home.

then a few weeks down the road i get a call from matt telling me that the tranny was grinding going in to reverse gear, so i told him to loosen up the shifter and reverse lock out plate and try adjusting it a little. then i didnt here from him for a few weeks so i thought all was well.
then it all started, threatening phone calls, angry e mails , telling me i am a scam artist and he was going to bring me and my shop down. he told me the tranny was junk and that i had wrecked his bus, etc. Mark from Stricty Foriegn builds all my trannys and i have never once had a problem with any of his work, he is a hell of a guy and very good VW mechanic. so Matt took his bus to a shop out there told me i was giong to pay for labor and tranny 600 dollars, well i talked to the shop myself and he told me all that needed to be done was the adjustment on the shift linkage and the tranny was leaking around the axle tube gaskets

but Matt wont stop there now he claims that there is nothing right on the bus, not only is he trying to bring me down, but the motor builder, and the tranny builder.

Matt is still mad at me and tells me "you will pay Jeff" , tired of dealing with him and his hostile ways i offered to buy the bus back from him for the EXACT amount of money he paid me including delivery fees. ($25,200). that was'nt good enough for him. he told me i was trying to "scam" him. i tried to resolve the problem, but i feel like this is a problem that will go on for a long time

so all you out there that have dealt with Matt, [email protected] or [email protected] in some way, i am sorry for you,

i'm sure i will get a reply from Matt telling you all out there i am a scam artist and i do shit work.

Jeff gagnon
vintage Vw
sioux falls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like to me you have a broken customer that cant be fixed...move on and let him know you are doing so.not all people are old car owners some just would like to be...

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in seeing if this customer chimes in on this story.

This story sounds like a petulant child (the customer, that is) who can't decide what he wants. When he gets what he makes a final decision on, he throws a fit because of factors that go along with the decision he makes (in this case putting the bus on the ground with a stock width beam). Wow, I'll keep this in mind in the chance I ever have a chance to do dealings with him, sounds like a total PITA.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Mad customer Reply with quote

As a shop owner I've been there. If he signed off on everything..you absorbed all the changes..did everything he asked, and then he goes postal..its probaly because once he got the product he relaized he made a mistake..or really couldn't afford it. I built a bug years ago for a kid..with his parents blessings..and went above and beyond to make it perfect as he was just turning 18 and it was his forst car. Before it was painted and the interior done, they all came to the shop(about 100 miles each way) and went over everything. Showed them the paint, carpert and interior. They were more than pleased...and then I had them sign the work order..again..accepting the colors etc. Car was finished and they came for it..all was well. A couple of months later contacted me and said they would "own me" for painting the car the wrong color..they picked red..said it was to be black..and interior was supposed to be white..not black?? Gave it to my lawyer..end of story.
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a parts store and have found that when someone made a mistake or no doesn't wont the product they give it a go over and will point out that everything is wrong and its your fault most of the time. Most of the time they dont wont it fixed they wont it returned.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackburn87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the project started in september of 2007. in april of 2008 i flew to see the bus. i had a check for jeff and asked him what he wanted for delivery. he said $800 and i told him i would give him that and another $200 making it $1000 to deliver. then jeff did not deliver when he said he would and gas prices went up and he said he needed more money for the delivery. i gave him another $200 on top of the 1000. when jeff delivered the bus it was a quick delivery i've got to get back on the road at one point saying that the rattle i hear will go away as soon as those parts wear out from hitting. i am new to this and thought what he said was odd but took him word for it. we went for the test drive with jeff jumping into the drivers side saying lets take it for a ride. he had driven behind me as i had met him when he got into town so he had followed me down my street with well marked speed bumps the wide gradual kind in a nice neighborhood so he knew they were there. as he excellerates to 25 or 30 mph we are coming up on a speedbump and then wham!! we hit it and it sounds like an explosion it is very load. jeff looks over at me and says don't woory that was just the steering box. i don't know what to think except it sounded like some damage had been done. when we parked i discovered that it was the overriders that had hit and all the paint was was scraped off. i have touch up paint and have since painted the underside of the overriders . jeff then went thru a qike check list and was off on the road again without a single "sorry about the speedbump" . i then got into my brand new from the ground up lowered really cool bus and went over to my buddies house to show it off. dave thought i was crazy when i was haveing the bus built forwarding and spending thousands of dollars. i said hop in and we'll go for a spin around the block. dave gets in and pulls the handle on the door to close it and one of the screws came out when he pulled it. he kind of looked at me like opps sorry, and then i attended to the handle so the screw wouldn't scratch anything. well i put it in reverse and go to back up and it pops out with a big bang. now my buddy and i are looking at each other asking what the heck that was. i end up being able to hold it back in reverse and going back very slowly. i realize the test drive did not include any reversing only a prompt u-turn after jeff himm the speedbump. a couple days later i am really worried about the reverse gear but agree to drive 30 miles to see another friend. as i am driving i note that it seems to shift just fine in all the forward gears and 4th is great because of the freeway flier, but there is all kinds of noises squeaks and very loud. 2 couple months go by and i am driving my regular car and the bus has 118 on it when i tell jeff it needs to go into a shop to have the transmission looked at and jeff is saying that is not his problem. so the bus goes to zinda and sons here in vancouver,wa. in business for over 40 years dan zinda works on it himself and sends me pictures to documents that the wrong clutch cable was used. the wrong pressure plate was installed the started had been jury rigged through a part of the tranny bell housing and the bushing holding the end of the started was worn out and the pics show the shavings from this engineering feat gone wrong. then dan zinda calls me and tells me that where an engine will normally turn when he turns the crank by hand.. well your engine won't turn and that's not good. hmm.. ok well what does this usually mean. well it meant that dan pulled and opened up the engine and replaced the main brgs. found that thew lifter springs were on upside down in some cases etc. i do have the receipts. so $2100 dollars later and jeff is willing to pay for a new "correct" pressure plate and the engine problems are between me and the engine builder. jeffs engine builder i contracted with jeff for the completion of the bus and had no dealing with the guy who messed up the engine when he built it. you will all be glad to know that i have paid mr. zinda in full not holding him hostage as it were to the guys that really owe you the money!! the bus has 148 miles on it. also jeff offered my money back on the grounds that i deliver the bus to him personally, and the $25200 is 6000 short of what i have in the bus over and above the 25k. so i got upset a couple times when i couldn't get my point across please forgive me i am human. i will have to have my ins. fix the over rider and lower rail damage that was done to my brand new bus and my deductible is $300. so i ask you to look at my side of things. thanks, matt
1963 standard beetle
1967 standard beetle
1980 rabbit convertible
1989 vw golf
2002 porsche 911 turbo carrera awd 996
1967 deluxe 13 window OG
blackburn87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, about the narrowed beam.
i sent jeff pictures of the bus i wanted mine to look like. i let him know that the bus in the pictures is what i want mine to look like.
i asked several times about the pictures of the bus i sent and had he looked at them. so i thought he knew i wanted the tire and wheel flush with the dogleg.
and admittedly i should have told him when i looked at it. i decided it would be easier to let him know later, i am not a confrontational person.
i believe jeff was also upset that i had him change the stance of the bus. just like before the pictures of the bus i sent to jeff showed the way i wanted the stance of the bus too.
now what happened is jeff set it up and then sent me some pictures, so he didn't change it from what i wanted to something.
he changed it from where he had it and then put it where i wanted it. most of the bus is excellent, and now that i have fixed the engine issues it runs the way it should have in the first place.
when i get it to a body shop and have the front body damage jeff caused to it fixed it will be a beautiful bus.
1963 standard beetle
1967 standard beetle
1980 rabbit convertible
1989 vw golf
1967 deluxe 13 window OG
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no investment here but the fact that the vendor made a point of coming here first to defend himself makes me wonder about his credibility. There is no excuse for the engine and clutch / cable issues and he should pay to correct those problems.

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
blackburn87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just want to thank jeff for finally admitting that he wrecked my bus on the "test drive" and had offered to re-paint it if i take the front of my bus off and send it to him in sioux falls, sd. what an offer jeff how about you pay to have it fixed at a good body shop instead?
1963 standard beetle
1967 standard beetle
1980 rabbit convertible
1989 vw golf
1967 deluxe 13 window OG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: