Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decoding radio
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Decoding radio Reply with quote

Anyone know the procedure for decoding a Heidelberg radio in a 91 Vanagon. I know how to enter the code to get the radio out of the SAFe mode, I just want to make it so I never have to do so again. I found one set of instructions on the web for decoding, but it didnt' work for my radio.
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore this post. (Note to self: must learn to read for comprehension.)

Last edited by OilNBolts on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
offthewallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Edit: It's New Years eve... my reading skills suppressed)

Here's the instructions for "Decoding" the Radio:
Quoting the Heildelberg manual for a 1989

The Radio should be decoded when the vehicle is taken into the workshop and has to be decoded if you sell your vehicle

Switch on the coded radio

Push and Hold the AM/FM BAND SELECTOR then push and Hold the SCAN BUTTON. Continue to Hold the AM/FM BAND and SCAN BUTTONS until the display changes to 1000 and then goes blank

After the display goes blank, Release the AM/FM BAND SELECTOR and SCAN BUTTONS.

Now Enter your code using the 1,2,3,4 STATION BUTTONS

Finally, push and Hold the AM/FM BAND SELECTOR and then push and Hold the SCAN BUTTON until the word COde is displayed. After releasing the buttons the radio station frequency is displayed. The code has now been erased and the radio is no longer theft protected.

IF the word SAFe appears in the display and then the radio station frequency, a wrong code number was entered.

Wrong Code Number

If a wrong code number was used, once again verify the correct code number. After the third attempt with a wrong code, the radio will not accept even the correct number. The radio can still be operated, however should the power supply to the radio be cut off, the radio will lock up electronically. When a wrong code is used during decoding, SAFe first blinks and then remains on. After the third attempt with a wrong code, SAFe remains on and the radio can no longer be operated. In both cases you must contact your dealer.

--------------

Sorry for the initial post - hope this actually helps...

1989 Wolfsburg
2212 WBX - Manual
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwallace, Thanks, unfortunately these are the same directions I already tried and they do not work for my unit. Maybe I need to stand on my head at the same time I am pressing the buttons.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: