Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why Is This Happening to My Suspension?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Why Is This Happening to My Suspension? Reply with quote

I looked in Bentley but didn't find the information that I was looking for. The sway bar on the driver's side won't stay seated in its little rubber jobber. When I turn it often just pops right out and makes a horrible dull thudding sound. In fact, the bar was able to crush my original speedometer cable to the point where it stopped working and I had to replace it. Is the fix for this to just replace the rubber? What does that sway bar actually do beyond just keep me from swaying? I can't seem to tell a difference when it is in place or out of place while I'm driving. That strikes me as odd.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the bar link broken?? looks like it in the pic

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's broken where they always break, you need new drop links.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, it's busted! first pic!
91 Syncro (Stripped,Plain Jane,fixed vent windows,no tach) also rusty. Hurray for me!
POS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Sway Bar Reply with quote

We repaired both sides on my westy a decade ago, welding new bolts on the ends and put in new bushings.

Seventy or Eighty Thousand miles of bumps and wiggles.
They are still together!!

Can they still be purchased new?

David
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem. I used a gear puller to remove the link ends off of the rubber bushings. After the remaining broken (where the threads were) ends were ground perfectly flat. Grade 8 stainless steel bolts were TIG welded to the ends of the links. I made sure that the hex portion of the bolts mated perfactly to the freshly grounded metal so I could get them to go through the A-arm bushings.

2. Stanless steel bolts, washers and Nylock nuts. $8.73
1. Stop at the local Welding shop $20.00
1. Can of Black spray paint. $1.99
Total was $30.72
New drop links would have cost me over $200.00 so I think I got a good deal. The handling of the van is very good now. I got a pair of Napa coil over shocks for the rear and that has made it even better. In the future I plan on installing a whiteline HD sway bar on the front and doing away with those weak components as I understand that was a common failure point. Good Luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: