Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got wood (interior panels)?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes GreenMachine.... How are your panels held i place?

A few developments,

I have both door panels cut and sanded and prepped.

I had much better luck with cutting and drilling the panels of Birch Plywood by using a really fine tooth blade on my scroll saw and putting painters tape over most of the spots I was cutting or drilling.

I think I have decided to go with a natural stain although still not 100 percent on that. I got a black satin stain from the store yesterday but I totally covered too much of the grains and made it look kind of like a piece of wood that had a shitty paint job. I have sanded it down well and it brought back out some of the wood grain, may try staining over that to see what it looks like.

I really like wood and its natural look so I may just stick with that as well. TBD.

As far as attaching the panel, spent a good while out the hardware store trying to figuring this one out. I like the look the the screw heads with finishing washers in silver but am still stumped as to what people are screwing or attaching to? I took the pictured dry wall fasteners I have and tried setting them in place with epoxy, I rushed the job though an didn't prep the door or holes well enough and about half of them broke free in the whole when trying to screw in. The other half seem to work. Not all bad but still need a better solution.

Thanks guys and gals,
-Ben
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone ever try pop-riveting anchor nuts into the spot where the original fasteners go? seems like some type of anchor nut and screw setup would work wonders and make removal and installation easier. or perhaps even camlock fasteners?
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

focusedcycling wrote:
Yes GreenMachine.... How are your panels held i place? ...

The panels are held in place by the j-channel on the top, the door pull handles and the vent on the bottom corner. It is a little floppy down at the bottom, but it works fine.

The wood is 1/8", 3 ply birch. I cut the long straight cuts freehand on a table saw, the rest with some coping saw close to size, and then sanded to the final dimensions. Covered with many many layers of glossy polyurethane. The J-channel was critical to make it work with so few securing points.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

Sure I got wood..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I never got around to updating my build topic with my interior pics. It's not 100% finished, will likely get it done sometime this winter.

More pics here http://imgur.com/a/XWQWo
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

I've got a 71 campmobile but this seemed like the most appropriate thread for my question

You guys thinks I can polyutherane my interior wood and get a nice look to it or do I have to start from scratch?

I would rather find some way to spruce up the wood I have since structurally it is very sound, just not so in the looks department.

This pic is a small sample but a good representation of the entire interior wood paneling on the table side

And this one is obv. the door

Thanks!
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

Here's my start:

I have the section behind the driver's seat in place, but no pic yet.

Maple plywood with Watco Golden Oak Danish oil only. No other finish.

I didn't use the existing holes, but rather made my own with stainless self-tapping screws and cup washers. (Tip: make sure you know where the existing holes are before AND after you start screwing it on).

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
billgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

I used a small laminate router with a template bit and the old panels to make the new ones exactly the same size and shape . I did not finish the 1/8" birch plywood clear but colour matched the finish . Love the natural wood look .
vanagon1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one is doing any custom foam/upholstery? Isn't anyone afraid if scaring that wood surface??? Yea its fast to put up....but yikes.

Even felt or some cool patterned cloth material at local textile shop using spray adhesive on wood...???

There are tons of cool patterns/materials out there....even faux leather....some w foam backing...???

Just ask'n?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

No, but I did laminate my panels which are made from wood.

These are the panels from GoWesty that they say don't work with the early vans, they do. http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=4336&type= If you are looking for the beige laminate it's Pioneer Laminates Pionite ST617. You can probably get it cheaper at a local laminate store. Of course I didn't have this information until GoWesty sent me my last batch of laminate and one was stamped with the manufacturer and item number. I do NOT feel bad sharing this information.

Laminating the original panels was hard because I couldn't find a router bit that would work with such thin base material. Everything was cut with an exacto knife. My hands may never recover. Overall, I am really happy with it and think this is how the panels should have come from the factory.

I originally did a test panel with the vinyl from GoWesty (SewFine)http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24053&type= Don't order this vinyl from GoWesty, they just charge you extra to place an order for you at SewFine. Unfortunately, the PO went to town on these panels and there were a lot of imperfections that showed through the vinyl. The PO cut new panels, covered them with headliner fabric and screwed them to the originals. Ugh. There was headliner cancer (dust) everywhere. You can see the new vinyl on the roof and trim above the spice rack.

vanagon1991 wrote:

There are tons of cool patterns/materials out there....even faux leather....some w foam backing...???

Just ask'n?

Please don't do this to your van. The foam backing stuff deteriorates and sheds cancer everywhere. I can show pics if you want to see how bad it gets.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:
Here's my start:

I have the section behind the driver's seat in place, but no pic yet.

Maple plywood with Watco Golden Oak Danish oil only. No other finish.

I didn't use the existing holes, but rather made my own with stainless self-tapping screws and cup washers. (Tip: make sure you know where the existing holes are before AND after you start screwing it on).

Nice job! I have been planning on a rear wood hatch panel with rear speakers, so it was nice to see your results. I'm thinking of (perhaps) an LED light to provide an overhead light when the hatch is open for a rear galley idea I have for my Weekender. Wood allows you to experiment!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
vanagon1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

This would be vantastic! Some high quality work here. Imagine the things you could do Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZT6ViLV3_4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaplang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

I'm just getting started to replace the original panes on both sides and rear in my 84 passenger. Not going to replace the front door panels. I found some nice oak veneered 1/8" panels. Can someone tell me how many clips ill need and where I can get them in bulk. I'm going to only use the original mounting holes for the panels.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Got wood (interior panels)? Reply with quote

kaplang wrote:
II found some nice oak veneered 1/8" panels. Can someone tell me how many clips ill need and where I can get them in bulk. I'm going to only use the original mounting holes for the panels.

Thanks
The OG mounting clips were sandwitched between the panel and the vinyl so they were invisible. If you try to use them without the vinyl cover they will showing be really obvious. It would look like this,
I think you will be far better off doing this and pre painting the fasteners to more or less disappear.
And these are best of all as they don't stick up as far and are only one part. https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/blum-6-x-1-2-phi...9IQAvD_BwE Other heads are available too.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: