Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus tail lights on a buggy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Bus tail lights on a buggy? Reply with quote

Thinking about using some Type 2 tail lights on my Buggy. The flush mount appeals to me, as I intend to use the cargo area for, suprisingly enough, cargo, and reaching over the back of the car might be easier without the stock bug signal pods.

Anybody have pictures of bus lights on a buggy? Any thoughts on the subject?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used round LED taillights (truck/trailer) give nice flat finished look.... IF done right don't see why bus taillights would not work....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This pic during build.... Finished buggy did keep these lights...
Camera flash makes "lens" look a little funky...

Explore the web there is many lighting choices out here with "explosion" of LED fixtures..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I used round LED taillights (truck/trailer) give nice flat finished look.... IF done right don't see why bus taillights would not work....

Explore the web there is many lighting choices out here with "explosion" of LED fixtures..

Dale

Very nice : the buggy, and the taillights. I was thinking about 1962-71 bus taillights for my other buggy too. But these round ones are very cool. Do you know if they exist in 2 colors : red and amber ?
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GetPsycho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Jeep Wrangler lights on mine.
I recessed them so that they are flush.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre G wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Very nice : the buggy, and the taillights. I was thinking about 1962-71 bus taillights for my other buggy too. But these round ones are very cool. Do you know if they exist in 2 colors : red and amber ?

The come with amber lenses or red lenses, but not a "split" lens (red & amber) as far as I know....

If you have room a red for stop/tail and a amber one for turn on each side would be cool... And they are about only a 1.25 inches inches thick do the do not interfere with carbs and what not under rear apron...

MANY, many sources on I-net....

Dale

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dale,
I'm looking on the internet right now and I see many options. What size did you chose for the buggy ? I see some 4", 7",... Question

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yeahnah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a picture of my manx with 4x round tailights (not led type but you can buy them led) and my mates sandpacer buggy with some type of japanese tailights.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Thanks for that pic. Sorry to say but your mate's buggy looks really awful with these japanese taillights, funky rear wing and strange top (not even mentioning mudflaps). Your buggy looks gorgeous and done with good taste. I think I'll go that route : 4 round taillights for mine, 2 red & 2 amber for inspection success. What size are your TL ?

Pierre
prowler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: bus tail lights on a buggy Reply with quote

Hey: Got some more pics of both yellow buggies? Great job on both of them-- Thanks
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre G wrote:
Thanks Dale,
I'm looking on the internet right now and I see many options. What size did you chose for the buggy ? I see some 4", 7",... Question

Pierre

They are 4 inch variety.... Anything bigger sort over powers the symmetry of back of bug....

Dale

Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Pierre G wrote:
Thanks Dale,

Pierre

They are 4 inch variety.... Anything bigger sort over powers the symmetry of back of bug....

Dale

Thanks ! Cool

Pierre
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Bus tail lights on a buggy Reply with quote

My Enos 500 has 62> bus tail lights, they look good. I don't have any pics though, sorry.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
dazn9796
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Bus Tailights Reply with quote

I am running Bus taillights on my safari. I don't really care for the multiple tail/turn signal look. I love them nice flat clean look. You may have to trim your body down to fit the rubber pinch gaskets but other than that they were a breeze to put in. If you can I would suggest the euro bus tailights they have a dual bulb holder versus the U.S. version with single bulb holder. Just depends on what you are going to use for a turn signal switch. I havent posted any pics in my profile page but if you go to the performance page and search Compu-tronix you can see my taillights.

Any questions please let me know.
Dave
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus taillights can be had with all red lenses if you want. I am looking to use a set for my project as well. Look at Wolfsburg West and other suppliers - they are available.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. Still looking for some pictures. Looked under the performance forum that one poster suggested and only found two guys wiping each other out over what kind of EI they were using.

While I do like the clean look of the LED lights, the reason I was particularly interested in Bus hardware was to stay with something recognizable as VW, but to be able to flush mount it. Maybe I should just buy some fixtures, take the lenses and tack them on with 2x back tape, take a few pics. Keep em if I like em, send em back if I want to use my already purchased stock beetle signals. I'll post pics back here in case anyone else is interested.
NorthWestRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buggy has the big 73 to 79 bug style which I just hate I was thinking of glassing in the holes and getting something else.

I read your post and started some research I really like the domed amber on this page

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Tail+light&Search1=Search
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are cool. I am assuming they are flush mount except for the "dome" formed by the lens itself. They might address one of the hassles of using the stock bug lights on my car;

The rear apron of my buggy is not ideally contoured for the stock housings to work without some customizing to get them to look right.
Original Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this?

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that gives me an idea of what those would look like.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen bus tailights mounted sideways, on a manx and I think it looks great! I will ry and find some pics...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: