Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another 65 saved from becoming parts or crushed
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Another 65 saved from becoming parts or crushed Reply with quote

My wife and I are big Herbie fans and love VW Bugs so we have been talking about building our own Herbie one day. She was looking at the new Bugs over the summer but we couldn't justify the price for a new one since its our second vehicle. Also the gas mileage wasn't much better than the pick up that I drove at the time. The more we looked into it we wanted an older one more. We especially like the 1960s models.

I have always talked about building some kind of project vehicle especially something older since new cars are so much more of a pain to work on and seem to be made to keep the back yard mechanic away. I spent some time reading VW magazines, a Hanes repair manual and a lot of time researching it on this site. It sounds like a lot of people are having fun doing just what I wanted to do! I recently read someones post at http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335245 and I was impressed with all the encouragement this person received so I decided to post our little story and some pics. As for any other car made today I would say that they are not worth all this work and just junk them but not a VW.

We originally were planing on doing this in the fall of this year but we found a 1965 near our aria owned buy a guy who got the car from the original owner ( his uncle) in 1981 and we just couldn't turn it down. You can tell this car was his baby once and he took care of it but time caught up to it still. It needs allot of work, like allot of other 1965 VWs but we are in no rush and are looking forward to the challenge. If you care to see the pics they are at

http://s402.photobucket.com/albums/pp106/EA812/

Brent

Last edited by EA812 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice old 65 with jackman wheels.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 65 saved from becoming parts or crushed Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Also the gas mileage wasn't much better than the pick up that I drove at the time.

What a coincidence that all the modern day vehicles all get the same crappy mileage. We've come a long way, but in some areas we haven't...
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Contact Jeremy at the Connecticut Volkswagen Association [http://www.ctvwa.com] for support and resources. Tell him Jeffrey for the Central Jersey Club referred you. They have a pretty good sized membership and can help you with anything you might need.

-jeffrey
seanboy69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Another 65 saved from becoming parts or crushed Reply with quote

Looks like a nice car and definetly one that can be saved!! What are your plans for her??
1962 baha
2276 in progress
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iaccy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice another CT airhead, good luck with the car and I hope to see at some shows when it's done.
zombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where in CT are you located?
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the jackman wheels are cool but I'm worried they may not be legal in CT since they stick out and I will not change the fenders from what they are now. That would suck cause they were one of the things that sold me on the car. We are going to spend at least the next two years on this car rebuilding the body, learning to weld and paint. I've painted metal before, just not with real equipment. Those would be some great skills to acquire for sure. I want to change all the brake lines wheel cylinders and break master cylinder. repair or replace all the electrical and recreate Herbie in the process. Thats just the short list for now. We have the time it takes to do this but the money we will have to wait on since this was an idea we were going to follow up on in the fall but we just couldn't wait. The car was a Christmas present for my wife and her birthday and Easter and Mothers day...... I think I'll just put a bow on it every holiday that should do it:)

It is funny how little progress has been made in fuel mileage in the past thirty or more years especially since we have had gas shortage problems long ago. My wife's current car gets 41 highway and we have vowed to never let it go. That's a 2001 so I get a kick out of these high gas mileage cars they are producing today.

Someone from Connecticut Volkswagen Association contacted me already and I sighed up for the Yahoo group. That will be a big help thanks everyone.

Brent <"OOOO={
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my original post We stripped the fenders the seats and interior trim.
I straitened the dash board ( it was damaged when a stereo was stolen).
We pulled the motor out.
We pulled the body replaced the floor pans wire brushed the frame and painted with Eastwood's rust encapsulator.
Replaced the axle boots.
Replaced all the transmission mounts.
Fixed the peddle cluster.
Replaced the clutch cable, fork, boden tube and installed a bracket on transmission for clutch boden tube.
Replaced the master cylinder and all the break lines. Replaced the wheel cylinders.
Replaced the shift rod bushing.
Ran a new fuel line through the tunnel.
repainted all the engine tin and cleaned up the block.
Replaced the rear seat supports/ cross members and the drivers side heater channel.

Now I have some before and after photos at the photobucket site. There should be a disclaimer at the top stating that I am in no way a professional auto body guy. Some people might see things that would make them cringe but after seeing how things were done on other cars I have owned and this car in the past I figured I could mess it up like that and I don't charge as much as the people that were paid to do the work.

Last edited by EA812 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a nice photo of your ride
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've been busy! There is a big show at the harwinton fairgrounds this coming father's day. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338736 You should check it out. Good luck with your car, it looks great!
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shano63 wrote:
Sounds like you've been busy! There is a big show at the harwinton fairgrounds this coming father's day. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338736 You should check it out. Good luck with your car, it looks great!

Sounds good, are you going to the CTVA show in July?
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post We Painted the bottom of the floor pans and the chassis with bed liner paint. Painted the underneath and top of the rear luggage compartment with rust ecapsulator and bed liner paint.
Replaced the bottom of the passenger side heater channel and the bottom door post.
Fixed the dash board and painted it.
Installed the stereo ( I need music wile working on it)
Rebuilt the spare tire compartment. pulled the wiring. repainted the trunk compartment.
Replaced the passenger side door with one I picked up at a show for a great price that was in near perfect shape.

Insaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good. Do you have a before and after pic of the dash?
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some of what I have.

Also The Bugme Video series has been a big help with this project and the catalog from WW helped me figure out what parts were missing.

Brent <'0000={

Last edited by EA812 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Ran a new fuel line through the tunnel.

This is something someone wrote up in the past. Who ever you are thank you!

First off, you don't need to cut any holes in your pan. If the body is still on the car you will need to remove the following items to use the existing access holes. Remove the front bumper and the front access cover in the frame head; remove the pedal assembly, shifter and inspection cover under the rear seat. Last of all you will need to remove the large bolt at the rear of the vehicle that secures the trans bracket on the tube that the fuel line comes out of. This will allow you a hole to look in when running the new line.
Second, The fuel line is not welded inside the tunnel, it is held in place by 2 tabs that are bent around the tube. One is located just rear if the pedal access hole and the other is accessible through the rear inspection hole and is where the rear frame tube is attached to the pan. (There is also a clip that holds the line to the clutch cable tube under the e-brake handle. You can see it if you take the boot off. That is were we broke the string pulling the new one in.) You can reach the rear one with a screwdriver to bend it open slightly. The front one is a little harder. I took a 4 ft long piece of 1/4 inch square steel tube, from Home Depot, and hammered the end flat. I reached through the front access hole and bent the strap open with it. Be patient.
Third. I broke off the existing fuel pipe where it exits the frame in the front and rear and used a screwdriver to push the tube into the frame. Then, I worked the old tube out of the frame through the pedal access hole using a pair of channel locks and pried against the opening to leverage the tube out the hole.

Now you have the old fuel line out. If you put a trouble light in the rear access hole facing forward you can look into the frame from the front access hole and you will see where to route the new fuel line.
Buy a 25ft roll of 1/4-inch steel fuel line at the auto parts store. Roll it out on the floor and tape the end to keep dirt out of it. Feed it into the frame through the front opening and don't worry about getting it in the clip until the end. Once it reaches the rear inspection hole you will have to bend it slightly to guide it down the rear tube. Turn your light in the rear inspection hole to face down the rear tube and you can look in the tube through the trans mount bolt hole. Once the tube is at the opening in the frame, use a long thin Phillips screw driver or any long round object that you can fit into the fuel line. Reach into the tube with the 1/4 inch square steel piece you got at home depot, and gently lift the fuel line up towards the opening and stick the Phillips screw driver in through the frame opening into the end of the fuel line. This will act as a guide for the line to follow up and out the hole. Now go back to the front of the vehicle
and push the line in and it will come out the rear hole very nicely. Push about 1 foot of extra out the rear frame hole to allow you to have extra for working the front into the hole. Do not cut the extra off yet.
Go to the front of the vehicle and cut the tube with a tube cutter, Make sure you can get your Phillips screw driver in the end of it so you can guide it out the frame hole like you did the rear.

Go to the rear and pull the line until the end of the tube up front is aligned with the hole in the frame and gently lift the line using the 1/4 inch steel tube and insert the Phillips screw driver in the frame opening and into the fuel line. Go to the rear and push the fuel line back into the frame and it should pop out the front hole.

Now you can adjust the tube inside the frame so it's in the straps you bent open. Use the 1/4-inch steel tube to pry the front clip back closed around the fuel line.

With your tube cutter cut the front and rear tube so you have about 4 inches sticking out. You can adjust this length later for the perfect fit.

Place the new rubber fuel line grommets over the fuel line an into the frame holes.

Reinstall your inspection cover, trans mount bolt, front access hole and front bumper and you have a new fuel line installed just like new without cutting up you car. It took me 3 hours by myself with me car body still on my 66 very. If the pan is off the car it's even easier.

It's not a bad job, just be patient and take your time. The only thing that did go wrong about the fuel line was I tied a string to the old one to pull the new one in. It snapped half why. My wife and I got real creative with strings and wires. The old line was held in by a tab in the back that clamps it to the E- brake tube. I was able to access it through the inspection cover where the shift rod attaches to the transmission. With a mirror and a screwdriver I pried it open. It was easier to close on the new line later. The next one is a clip that attaches it to the clutch cable tube under the e- brake handle. I sprayed it with WD 40 while pulling it through it. That's where the new fuel line didn't fit. It’s slightly bigger since its standard instead of metric. I used some tie wraps, the real fat ones. The last attachment point was just behind where the
pedal cluster goes into the tunnel. I was able to pry that one open with a screwdriver but it could be done from the front inspection plate by the front axle with a long bar. That's how I got it to close onto the new line. I didn't realize it at the time but I worked on it from 10:00 AM till 5:00PM but a lot of that time was spent on looking through the holes with mirrors and flashlights to see where everything was. It did help that the body and floor pans are off but It could be done with them in place.

If I had the chance to do it all over again I would try to attach the old line to the new line ( I got it from Summit Racing). Maybe use a wood screw that you cut off the head to thread it into both lines. Grind the beginning of the new line so it is a little cone shaped and grease it up. I would be willing to bet it would go through. I was able to pull the old line through that clip even the s bend part that is at the end of the chassis. I sprayed it with WD 40 to help it slip. The only thing I don't know is if there is a way to pull it through with the engine in place. I also disconnected the shifter rod so I could jam my hand in the rear inspection cover. The only thing that looks diferent is the clip holding the fuel line to the heater cable.

Quote:
Replaced the rear seat supports/ cross members and the drivers side heater channel.

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bolted the body on recently and finished up on the rear quarter panels.

It was missing the two front bolts to the passenger side heater channel when we got it. I fixed that problem as well. I suspect that is why the floor pan was coming out in the front but not rotted.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more before and after pics

Last edited by EA812 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work Very Happy
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, great job so far...
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: