Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Defroster hoses for a 65
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Defroster hoses for a 65 Reply with quote

Where can you get the hoses that come from the heater channel up to the corner of the windshield? I don't understand how they fit either because at the bottom, the look like about 2" but at the top they need to be way smaller. 65 still didn't have the center defrost vent. Thanks for the help.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the top of the hose there was a crease added to about the last 3" of hose and the 2 sides of the crease get folded together taking a little of the I.D. out of the hose so it fits snug over the defrost fitting.
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
At the top of the hose there was a crease added to about the last 3" of hose and the 2 sides of the crease get folded together taking a little of the I.D. out of the hose so it fits snug over the defrost fitting.

So it's the same hose that it used coming out of the engine cooling shroud?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just order all new hoses for my 69 project from Wolfsburg West. The small upper hoses measured 1 1/4" ID and the big ones were 1 7/8". But according to WW there are 3 or 4 different sizes, so you should measure them.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to jack this just a quick question, what is the best way to get the hose on the bottom? I have the carpet nails removed but cant get my arm down far enough... again sorry to jack this thread... George
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ...the hoses in the engine are 2" and in a 1965 the defrost hoses are much smaller in diameter if the heater channels are original. With the carpet removed there should be a small window hidden by a piece of upholstery glued on or you can cut a little larger window if you need room to fix the flange etc.
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sorry to jack this just a quick question, what is the best way to get the hose on the bottom? I have the carpet nails removed but cant get my arm down far enough... again sorry to jack this thread... George

George, I replaced my tubes on my 63 Bug and I found it was easier (after an hour of screwing around) to take a 1-1/8" holesaw and drill a hole that the carpet will hide, so I could clean the dirt and debris out. The fit on the bottom of the heater channel is very snug and there is a good chance that you also have a bunch of dirt packed around the metal tube that will prevent the tube from sliding on anyways. I used a paint stick and a glass stick to slide the tube on. When you're done, you can use a plastic (round) plug to cover the hole you drilled. It leaves a little access for later, which is cool.

Sorry for the hi-jack (monkey see, monkey do!) but I just threw this in 40 minutes ago (can you tell it's dark out?). Haven't wired the relay completely yet as it's cold as hell here. I just need to cover the wiring harness with heat shield and figure out a damper for this setup so the defrost will work... Confused
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngnstudly wrote:
just need to cover the wiring harness with heat shield and figure out a damper for this setup so the defrost will work... Confused
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Uhh, I have to ask, why do you want the defrost air to blow out the speaker hole instead of at the windshield glass, in any instance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the goal is to give the driver a heater vent like many modern cars have.

As far as a damper goes, a rotating flap (think about a stove pipe or furnace hot air damper) Cut a metal or plastic circle that would fit inside of your plastic tube, Coat hanger running through it and bend an arm on the oustide. Short length of wire going through the bottom of the dash to adjust...... (hey I am only 1/2 way through my first cup of cofee)
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I tried the setup this morning and the cool part is that the Tee fitting doesn't allow airflow to the speaker grille without the fan running. So it pretty muchs works as intended (windshield defrost works for clearing the glass, and the fan warms me once the car is defrosted enough for me to see out the window). Now lets see how long my $4 Radio Shack fan takes that much heat...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the VW heater setup, especially the T3s with the dash and windshield fresh air vents and the vent wings. I can toast my lower body and still get cool air to my face. New cars can't create that bi-level effect nearly as well.
geo1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank- you for answering and alowing me to ask my question, studly that I think is a pretty good idea, with drilling that hole again sorry for the jack. George
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my '65 has a hole on each side looking at the back side of the lower door hinge and the tube attaching point.

I have long dreaded putting those tubes on after paint.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerg wrote:
Looks like my '65 has a hole on each side looking at the back side of the lower door hinge and the tube attaching point.

I have long dreaded putting those tubes on after paint.

I found a little trick that seemed to work. First, remove all the old crap through that small hole with a screwdriver and vacuum cleaner or air compressor. I got a ruler in there and the inside diameter of the tube measured a little over 1.5". I found a piece of thin pipe from Home Depot that measured 1.5" outside diameter ( I think it was emt conduit). I took about a 12 - 16 inch piece and was able to fit it into the heat channel from above after removing the hood and hinges. Before putting it in there, I attached the flexable hose (the stuff that is supposed to be there), on to the pipe. I found a piece laying around that was a perfect fit at the windshield and then fit very tight on the inside of the pipe. I put some silicone sealant on the end of the pipe and slid it into the heat channel about .5" and drilled a 1/8 hole through the piece on the heat channel and also through the pipe and pop riveted it so it wouldn't move. You can then reach in from above and bend the tab that holds the hose tight to the pipe so it can't move.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the help of my wife we nailed this juan!!! Very Happy

I took the end of the paper/foil tube from WW and put a small taper into it with some needle nose pliers.

My wife was then able to reach down into the A pillar with the tube and get it to push into the heater channel stack, then twisting she was able to get them to push in about 3/8" - 1/2" each. I could hear the ribs of the new tubing pop into place.

When done I tucked them behind the guides about 1/2 way up and tried to pull them out. The fit was almost like Chinese hand cuffs.

I put the shop vac on the high end of the tube and she was able to feel the air pulling into the heater duct up by the tranny.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: