Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transporting stock thing hardtop in a 1991 Westfalia?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: transporting stock thing hardtop in a 1991 Westfalia? Reply with quote

Hello all:

I am always amazed at the cargo capacity of my 1974 Thing as well as my 1991 Westfalia, but, I am wondering before I venture all the way to Nevada from Portland to purchase a hardtop if anyone has had one inside a Westfalia. I can't drive the Thing down there as I am concerned about my soft top's state of disrepair and would hate to see it get trashed!

I am certain that the rear part will fit in the camper floor area, just curious as to if the corner can be turned and the front of the top can make it into the back. I am figuring that I will need to remove the posts from the top and that is not a big deal. Anyone done this before?

Anyone have measurements of a stock thing hardtop at the tip of their fingers?

Anyone rolling up from the Reno area to Portland in the next couple weeks?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jeffrey
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.

As I own both a Westy and a Thing, I have my doubts as whether or not it will fit inside. You might be able to slide it in sideways, but it's doubtful.

When I brought my Thing Hardtop home, it just barely fit in the bed of my '71 Dodge. It's not heavy, just unwieldy.

Maybe it would be cheaper to have it shipped or possibly you could rent a truck.

Whatever you do, take pictures. If you can get it into your Westy, I'd love to see it!
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
Hmmm.

As I own both a Westy and a Thing, I have my doubts as whether or not it will fit inside. You might be able to slide it in sideways, but it's doubtful.

When I brought my Thing Hardtop home, it just barely fit in the bed of my '71 Dodge. It's not heavy, just unwieldy.

Maybe it would be cheaper to have it shipped or possibly you could rent a truck.

Whatever you do, take pictures. If you can get it into your Westy, I'd love to see it!

Thanks bmwloco...Still jealeous about your heated garage! Embarassed Very Happy

I think it just may fit...... Question I did a no no and cross posted in both vanagon and thing forums<moderators please understand> as I know 5 thing/Vanagon owners. If I had a hardtop to test Question Not likely in January in PDX. Wanted to compare the results and get the following info:

Here is what I added to the other post:

Quote:
Anyone have measurements of a stock thing hardtop at the tip of their fingers??

Thanks all. I think it could fit. Tilt down, turn corner, lift up......push in? I can get a washer and dryer in a Westy, just do not have the measurements handy to verify.....Not a lot in back of a thing hardtop @ 3'....then tilt and turn and...just MAYBE? How long is it? How tall is it...Maybe it could slide in from the back on the roof, upside down, (with the support bars taken off).

Someone hook a brother up with some dimensions? Por favor?

Again, Loco.... Gracias.

p.s. Weren't you the one working at the dealership with all the Porsche's. Saw a green Caymen the same color as my Deceased stepfathers custom ordered Lime Green 1976 911...made me very excited! Wink
tropicalnites
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it will work. We tried to get mine into a full sized Dodge van and it wouldn't fit.
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help ya there however, FWIW, I would put it on top of my van. That which does not fit in always will fit on top.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: hard top sizes Reply with quote

basic dim. are 60" wide 83" long 21" high iff you more specific dim. e -mail me [email protected]
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Smile

It currently resides in the garage; toasty when needed.
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you ship it via Greyhound?
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I transported the hardtop for my thing in my 63 singlecab.

I also have a westy (87) and think that if you removed the posts that attach to thepost between the doors. You could put it on the roof. You on't be able to go into a multi-storey parking lot, but it should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strapped one on top a Astro van, tryed to put it inside but no go.
Just bring a few ratchet straps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: hard top sizes Reply with quote

man130 wrote:
basic dim. are 60" wide 83" long 21" high iff you more specific dim. e -mail me [email protected]

Yes...Thanks so much. Now it is time to go measure things after I put away the Xmas decorations! Thanks so Much!
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: UHUAL Reply with quote

Do you have a UHAUL dealership anywhere near you or the area you are getting the hard top? Rent a small moving truck, the back end is flat, covered, and you can secure it in the back.
A lot better than wasting time worrying if it is going to fit inside a Campervan.
You could have already had the hardtop at your house and on your THING.
Anchorage, AK
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: UHUAL Reply with quote

kme_eone wrote:
Do you have a UHAUL dealership anywhere near you or the area you are getting the hard top? Rent a small moving truck, the back end is flat, covered, and you can secure it in the back.
A lot better than wasting time worrying if it is going to fit inside a Campervan.
You could have already had the hardtop at your house and on your THING.

Pursuing the flatbed trailer option and just rolling the Mercedes down there most likely! 550 miles one way, so was looking to possibly stay the night and split up the drive to save $$ to offset the expense of having to drive that far for a nice top. Guess I will just have to pony up and bite my tongue.

Thanks so much,
Jeffrey
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Uhaul Reply with quote

I thought about the uhaul trucks with the enclosed box section since it give you plenty of room and rental is fairly cheap also. Uhaul is our friend.
But whatever works in your situation is good.Is it wamr enough down south to drive your THING down and back?
Anchorage, AK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: