Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporting stock Thing Hardtop In 1991 Westfalia?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Transporting stock Thing Hardtop In 1991 Westfalia?
Not a chance in hell, buddy!
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Maybe
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Yes, I have done this exact thing and only scratched the F$#@ out of my......
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, here are the dimensions that you asked for in your first post =)~
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Transporting stock Thing Hardtop In 1991 Westfalia? Reply with quote

Hello all:

I am always amazed at the cargo capacity of my 1974 Thing as well as my 1991 Westfalia, but, I am wondering before I venture all the way to Nevada from Portland to purchase a hardtop if anyone has had one inside a Westfalia. I can't drive the Thing down there as I am concerned about my soft top's state of disrepair and would hate to see it get trashed!

I am certain that the rear part will fit in the camper floor area, just curious as to if the corner can be turned and the front of the top can make it into the back. I am figuring that I will need to remove the posts from the top and that is not a big deal. Anyone done this before?

Anyone have measurements of a stock thing hardtop at the tip of their fingers?

Anyone rolling up from the Reno area to Portland in the next couple weeks?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jeffrey

Last edited by carterzest on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:45 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to say it but with all the cabnets inside it would not fit..

why even risk the damage to the hard top..rent a trailer and haul it with the westy
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing hardtop just fits in the bed of my DoKa. I can't picture it fitting into a Westfalia with the cabinets, maybe it would go in a Multi Van, but in a Westy I really doubt you can get it in there.

Craig
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to making a space judgement calls, I'd pick up the phone and call the guy that's selling you the hardtop & ask him the measurements.

The space is pretty tight inside of a Vanagon Westfalia--I'd inquire about the hardtops exact size.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone have measurements of a stock thing hardtop at the tip of their fingers??

Thanks all. I think it could fit. Tilt down, turn corner, lift up......push in? I can get a washer and dryer in a Westy, just do not have the measurements handy to verify.....Not a lot in back of a thing hardtop @ 3'....then tilt and turn and...just MAYBE? How long is it? How tall is it...Maybe it could slide in from the back on the roof, upside down, (with the support bars taken off).

Someone hook a brother up with some dimensions? Por favor?
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just happen to have a washer and dryer in my 87 wolfsburg 7 passenger right now , there side by side with little room to spare. there is no way in hell i can see it done in a fully dressed camper, but if you say so. i just moved a huge couch the other day. wow, it never ceases to amazes me what you can haul with a vanagon. about the top fiting strap it on the top Wink
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mccabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why take the risk? I think it might be time to borrow a truck from a friend or rent a U haul, trailer ect.
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you take the soft top off the Thing and drive it to get the hard top? It would be like driving an early car with no roof. Think of it as an adventure. Laughing Just get good driving goggles, and a killer hat with ear flaps, and see if you can borrow a shearing bomber jacket.

Paul
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: HArd top transportation Reply with quote

Or tow the Thing to your destination with the Vanagon and put the top on and tow it home.
That way you can keep warm and put some miles on your Thing as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGS Paul wrote:
Can you take the soft top off the Thing and drive it to get the hard top? It would be like driving an early car with no roof. Think of it as an adventure. Laughing Just get good driving goggles, and a killer hat with ear flaps, and see if you can borrow a shearing bomber jacket.

Paul

Road trip, baby! Woohoo!! When do we leave? Can you fit a couple of snowboards too?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
RGS Paul wrote:

Paul

Road trip, baby! Woohoo!! When do we leave? Can you fit a couple of snowboards too?

Possibly Pete - Snowboards no problem! We may want to roll your syncro Westy though. that way if it gets damaged, NOT MY PROBLEM! Shocked Besides, yours is older Laughing I do like the idea of towing the Thing to PU the hardtop. Would have to do it with the Mercedes though as I have no hitch on the Westy. Got some dimensions....time to go out and do some measuring after the honey do list is done..
Uhaul out of the question and I am not sure about Greyhound. May be worth a call. I will let you know what I find out.
Strapping it to the top is an option, but not preferred option for me.

man130 wrote:
basic dim. are 60" wide 83" long 21" high iff you more specific dim. e -mail me [email protected]

bmwmango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you've got the dimensions, mock up a 3 dimensional template hardtop out of furring strips.
If you can fit the template in, you should be able to fit the real thing (no pun intended).
If it doesn't fit, mount the template top on your Thing, drive to town and count the stares from the locals Smile
A blue tarp is a nice upgrade for rainy weather.
1986 BMW K75 Parts (Deer 1, Beemer 0)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ain't gonna fit inside the Van---come hell or high water--no way Jose'.

Think Trailer.
The Silver Dog isn't gonna haul it either.

Forward Air will ship it cheaper than you can haul it.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Music Plays... Reply with quote

Shove is a many-splintered Thing!

<dodges hail of lug nuts>

Shocked

Best!
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the bomber jacket, goggles, and you must have a scarf!! Think Snoopy on the doghouse flying against the Red Baron!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once you get there and install your hardtop, think how nice and comfy the drive back will be!!

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pj welch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to measure the inside of my 84 Westy and the hardtop on my Thing, but I didnt even bother. There is no way it will fit. Also, be careful when moving the hardtop. I broke a side window by flexing the top too much when I took it out of the back of my truck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: