Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Backing plate bolts the same?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Backing plate bolts the same? Reply with quote

Nearing the end of the pan portion of my project and am going to the bolt store for new drum backing plate bolts....the 4 that secure it to the axle. I can only find the rears in my huge pile of labeled bolt bags. Are the fronts the same as the rears? Thanks

Car is a standard 64.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: backing plate bolts Reply with quote

no, rears have larger shoulder for centering axle retainer, frotns bolt directly to spindle, so they have little to no shoulder. Heads of rears should be 14mm frotns should be 17mm. I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: backing plate bolts Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
no, rears have larger shoulder for centering axle retainer, frotns bolt directly to spindle, so they have little to no shoulder. Heads of rears should be 14mm frotns should be 17mm. I think.

As stated the rears would be longer and have a "shoulder" but the fronts will not and they are a bit shorter... full thread and 15mm head * originally...
10 X 1.5MM thread pitch and you probably would not have issues with the head being 17mm size if that is all you can find.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: