Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pics of my 69 camper
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Pics of my 69 camper Reply with quote

Well i got it home.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335312
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see its pretty rough in places.
But it came with an engine and it looks decent to me. I think its well worth what i paid for it.
Technically i'm the second owner. I have the original paper work that it came with. Like the original bill of sale and title.
The "second owner" never registered it. And it just sat in his back yard for four years.
It says that it was a dealear installed "camper kit"
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably be worth more, and be a faster & easer project if you restored it to the panel van that it used to be, then sold it, took the money from the sale and bought an original camper…

(Panel vans where very useful and had a hard working life = not many left)

Ether way if you get her back on the road then your are contributing to the preservation of an other savable T2 :0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionhart94010 wrote:
It would probably be worth more, and be a faster & easer project if you restored it to the panel van that it used to be, then sold it, took the money from the sale and bought an original camper…

It is an original camper...lots of camper conversions were done using Panel Buses as their starting point, Sportsmobile being one of them.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original Bill of sale from Plantation Volkswagen in memphis, Tenn.
It states that it came with the "camper kit" and "vents" installed.
I believe it is a Roadrunner camper conversion.
Whats interesting too is that the original owner traded in a 63 7-passenger bus to get it.

I have thought about what to do with this bus. Alot of the camper equipment is shot. But the rear seat is in excellent condition. Most of the wood trim is gone.
First of all i'm gonna put in the fuel tank and stick that engine in there. I'd like to see how it runs.
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been an original conversion (bought new as a van and converted to camper) but I was thinking in terms of what it most resembles now… closer to a van than a camper… weld up the window and you have a van, or better yet turn it into a vender van, Id’s love to have one of those, coffee bar of hot dog stand buses :0)

My though was that Williamtaylor33 already seems to have a late model westy and it might be cool for him to have an older westy or other pop-top camper…

But maybe Williamtaylor33 has some special custom plans for his camper/van/bus; something like the ones at URL below ;0)

http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com/index.php?opti...;Itemid=19

http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you have alot of work to do.

it's cool to have a camper thats a little different from the usual Westy.

have fun with it
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Glad you got it. Keep us posted with the pics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to hook up a fuel pump and line into a gas can, battery and start it on the ground first. Test it before install. See all the leaks, clutch, t/o bearing, seals, ect. and do repairs and save more turds with one flush (or whatever that saying is) Laughing
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the transmission still in the bus i think i'll just stick the engine in there and see how it runs. I'm not out a whole lot of time if i have to pull it again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: