Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water to Air conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlighten me, how it the AC engine bay different from the WC engine bay? If I remember correctly my 85 Vanagon I had years ago and my current 82 AC Westy have an identical engine bay. Idk fill me in.
67' Typ 1
96' Golf GL
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Water to Air conversion Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:

Lol.... I vote this the worst idea for 2009 - so far. Shocked

- Chester

I second that.
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will gladly sell you my 82 AC Westy which is is very fine condition with a newly rebuilt top end. Runs great everything just about as the day it rolled off the assembly line, no problems.....except 67 HP Sad

In retrospect I wish I had known more when looking as I would have waited for a wasserboxer. Those horses are precious when it comes to hauling a big heavy box around....
1979 Yamaha DT 175
1995 Toyota 4Runner
Prflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw54john wrote:
Thank you all for your input! I don't care about heat in the winter, cause I'll only be driving it in the summer and I don't much care about any air conditioning. Concensus among you folks, I guess, is to put some kinda H2O engine it it, which I'm really not intereseted in undertaking. I just wanted to know if an AC engine would be a simple bolt-up. Sounds like the biggest obstacle is sealing up the engine compartment.

Chester - I've owned watercooled Vanagons before. I wouldn't agree that this is the worst idea in the world, as I got fed up with leaky heads and plumbing and overheating. I also have access to a nice AC engine. I was just wondering what kind of effort it would be to do this.

Again, thanks all. Maybe I'll just skip the idea.

I think its a GREAT Idea, have owned several water cooled and many air cooled and I know there are many people on both sides, so I am giving you MY .02 cents.

I have an 1983 (originally water cooled) converted to AC, and I could not be happier, the conversion was done by the PO (friend) and it is flawlesssss! yes, all you die hard water guys, my respect I know the benefits of the waterboxer and all, but the simplicity of this set up is King, granted I do live in Puerto Rico, so no heat is needed but the van is airy on nice drives so A/C is not an issue, yes the engine does sit quite open. but it has not been an issue so far. I will take pics and post if you wish.

Regards,

Dan
vw54john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly, Dan. And thanks, I didn't think it was such a bad idea either. If I wanted heat, A/C, power, handling and towing capacity, I wouldn't buy a Vanagon at all. I'm just a die-hard VW fan that enjoys the "SIMPLER" and more traditional VWs. No disrespect to any of my VW comrades here. I wouldn't mind seeing your pics if you'd like to post them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone here is saying it won't work and can't be done and that you need air conditioning. I think they are saying that if you want an aircooled Vanagon you can pick one up cheap, vs. actually putting effort into killing the resale of a watercooled. If you are still just looking, why don't you look for what you want? Aircooled models are cheap, available, and still sellable down the road.
jalopyjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets not forget the oxyboxer.....er even better, diesel oxyboxer....yeah, i vote for that...
Prflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw54john wrote:
My sentiments exactly, Dan. And thanks, I didn't think it was such a bad idea either. If I wanted heat, A/C, power, handling and towing capacity, I wouldn't buy a Vanagon at all. I'm just a die-hard VW fan that enjoys the "SIMPLER" and more traditional VWs. No disrespect to any of my VW comrades here. I wouldn't mind seeing your pics if you'd like to post them.

sure, I will take some pics for you and post Smile
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wrote:
even better, diesel oxyboxer....yeah, i vote for that...

If you build it, everyone will cum.

Oops, was I bad?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Prflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iltis74 wrote:
I don't think anyone here is saying it won't work and can't be done and that you need air conditioning. I think they are saying that if you want an aircooled Vanagon you can pick one up cheap, vs. actually putting effort into killing the resale of a watercooled. If you are still just looking, why don't you look for what you want? Aircooled models are cheap, available, and still sellable down the road.

man, you guys are lucky here in Puerto Rico its the opposite, few and hard to find! air or water cooled! the scene here its huge on bugs, but the van scene here is mainly split's the newer bunch never caught on until a few years ago, now people are just importing them in.
Volksbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
you wrote:

Oops, was I bad?

Pffrt Pffrt! Oops!
67' Typ 1
96' Golf GL
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it, but why? Ok, you think air-cooled engines are better, but at what? Stirring your soul, yes, but pushing a 4000lb brick through the atmosphere, no.

For one, you'll have a heck of a time sealing the engine cooling tins in the engine compartment, because they are different. Then there's the FI system, harness, transmission, heating ... ayayay! Just buy a tencentlife motor and be done with it. Or get a bostig conversion and fly!
Prflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samba is rough, good but rough
sgtpepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
you wrote:

Oops, was I bad?

not just everyone on the samba, but everyone...in THE WHOLE WORLD.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
Is there a site that explains what tencentlife does with water-coolers?

try his sig link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=514460

hehe I guess 10c is gonna have to get a real web site sooner or later
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could happen, but for now that ad there brings me what I can handle.

I had no idea how to respond to that post.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most siggies are so stupid -- like mine -- I ignore them. Embarassed Sorry.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw54john wrote:
well said and nice to hear just that. i have went as far as thinking about puting a stand up motor in a vanagon Shocked we traditional VW Logo guys are geting fewer and fewer the last 3 or 4 yrs, i have Brick wall trying to figure why Confused btw i had a very nice silver 54 back in 99 Very Happy
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Prflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
vw54john wrote:
well said and nice to hear just that. i have went as far as thinking about puting a stand up motor in a vanagon Shocked we traditional VW Logo guys are geting fewer and fewer the last 3 or 4 yrs, i have Brick wall trying to figure why Confused btw i had a very nice silver 54 back in 99 Very Happy

be prepared be prepared! Smile
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
vw54john wrote:
well said and nice to hear just that. i have went as far as thinking about puting a stand up motor in a vanagon Very Happy

Gee, perhaps if a air cooled is a good idea, maybe we should go to a 36 hp? They were so neat and dinky.
Seriously, I have 6 Vanagons and really like driving the 80 more than the others, but reliability is not too good on the 2.0 air cooled engines either.
BTW, the stock engine location of a waterboxer will move the engine 2 inches rearward. It's all in the front tranny mount, but you'll have to change the linkage, too.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: