Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration Shops?
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Noddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Restoration Shops? Reply with quote

Anyone have any comments about professionally restored buses like the ones from catchthebus26.com?

I know most of you are probably going to see the prices as very high and that DIY is the way to go but some of us were scarred for life by rust repair on old British cars and just can't face doing it again.

Edit: added ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Bus-Vana...sQ5fTrucks
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice..

I always suspect a engine rebuild if there is a plastic fuel filter installed right over the dizzy...a fire waiting to happen.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Noddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
looks nice..

Yeh, looks very nice - which it should at >$15K with a few hours still left to run! I'm mostly curious if anyone has had dealings with this shop or if there are others who are similar. Exploring all options I guess you could say.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was considering a resto from these guys I'd want to see the full photo logs of a few previous jobs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The mudmonkey on his knees in the background has his board directly across where the apron to corner pinchweld usually sticks up 3/4", a little creativity with the welding perhaps? Wonder what else they didn't have time to do right?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Noddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If I was considering a resto from these guys I'd want to see the full photo logs of a few previous jobs.

The mudmonkey on his knees in the background has his board directly across where the apron to corner pinchweld usually sticks up 3/4", a little creativity with the welding perhaps? Wonder what else they didn't have time to do right?

Could you explain in a little more detail what you think they've done? It looks to me like they've welded in new lower corners, is that right? Are you saying that they've taken some obvious shortcut there? Thanks.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay is not a good venue for buying a 17,000.00 baywindow bus unless it is located next door to you and you can inspect carefully first.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what you are looking for. Normally I would strip the bus inside and out first to inspect for rust, Then prime with an etching primer but one that dries hard like POR15. Then cut out the damaged sections as needed and replace. Fix all the dents then prime, sand and paint.

I would suspect that the job they are doing on the yellow bus will look nice but may not be as detailed as one might want. Rust has a funny way of hiding under paint and until you strip a car this old you just don't know what will happen. The first photo shows what looks like minor rust on our bus when we bought it. The photos show the progression of the work on it. Look for a shop that will media blast first as part of the restoration.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: