Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is 8.6:1 too low for a W120?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Is 8.6:1 too low for a W120? Reply with quote

Just a quick issue I'd like to get some confirmation on. I have L5 heads with 55cc chambers. If I set the deck to 0.045" without touching the heads, how's my CR sound?
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to know bore and stroke . . .

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubkrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Gerg said, but no, 8.6:1 is not too low for a w120

Glenn wrote:
Sure... you can take a grinder to them. You can also use an adjustable wrench to assemble it.

Jake Raby wrote:
That looks like Tom Jones
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh, sorry. 1915...69 x 94.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.6 sounds nice and cool especially if it is in a bus.

What is it going in?

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going in my '66 Bug. Can I close the deck down to 0.040" with Mahles and Unitech rods? That would be 8.7:1.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cpl engines with that cam and the higher the cr the better they run,I'm thinking there O'school when the Gas was a better grade??? My 2332 is around 10.5 to 1 or 11:1 I cant' remember Confused Runs way better on Race fuel,and the 1915 is about 8.5 to 1 just not as snappy as i wanted so I'm tairing it down someday,madmike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I close the deck down to 0.040

That is very tight for a street engine. I little wear and the piston and head could be "kissin cuzens".

If it is a race engine that gets regular maintenace teardowns, OK.

I would go with 0.060 minimum. Just my opinion.

BTW, I ran a W120 in a 1915 from 1986 to 1989 putting about 108,000 miles on it with 7.8 compression. Would outrun a '85 vette from 0 to 60. ('85 vettes sucked on power, but still impressive for a bug in 1986)

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well maybe I'll keep it at 0.050" then and get the heads cut a bit. Darn. I was hoping for 9:1.
cal63look
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run the Engle 120 and my CR is at 8.9 with a deck of .040, also engine is turbo charged.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. Maybe a better question to ask is, is the power vs. heat difference between 8.5 and 9 worth it? Or does that cam just need more? This is for a street car that sees weekend use and won't be raced.
cal63look
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a higher CR motor you will need to run premium fuel. I do not have any heat issues with my CR and turbo setup (and the motor is fully chromed out). I run an oil pressure gauge, oil temp gauge, tach, electronic fuel pressure gauge and boost gauge. Of course you wouldnt need the last two Wink But I have driven my car daily and as a weekend warrior with no issues of heat. I have never checked the head temps but the car runs great (and no signs of extreme head temps). The cam will use the CR properly because you'll be running it in its intended range of CR. Before my motor was turbo'd I ran a 2020cc and the CR was at 9.1, no issues of heat with that setup either. Car was well mannered and was a Daily driver with that setting also. I have driven my bug from drag strip to home, aswell as driven it to vw shows that are about 100miles away from my city (one way). Also driven it to different mountain areas here in colorado.

My car will idle great at about 800-900 rpms. Very well mannered. I still find it funny that some people will run such low CR's with turbo setups, but that a whole other story of Boost versus CR (dont really apply to your question)

Just make sure you have a doghouse oil/fan setup, fan belt is properly tightened (run all the proper cooling tin, dont use a power pulley), full flow your motor, and run a deep sump. Also you'll want to also tweek your timing for the increase in CR.
cal63look
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i forgot to add, you'll have to run the numbers and measure everything for deck height and the cc's of your heads (which is sounds like you have). You dont want to try and acheive a high'er CR with a super tight deck height, then you may be asking for trouble. Oh and as a side note I run 1.25 ratio rockers with the W120 along with the deck of .040 which further increases my lift. Also you need to run chromoly pushrods with those dual valve springs that are hopefully in your heads. Set the lash on those to a loose zero, where you can just spin them with your finger. The motor will expand around those to achieve the lash you need.

You may already know this stuff, but just throwing things out here as I think of them. Smile
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running oil temp., oil pressure, and a compensated head temp. gauge. The engine is full-flowed and will use full tin and thermostat, all of which I have in boxes waiting for me. I have a sump, but am thinking of not using it because I am lowered and this isn't a race engine. Still on the fence about it though. Question Pushrods are chromoly and rockers are 1.25.

I hae checked everything, and the parts are fine, except for the case. Current values are 0.058", 0.054", 0.060", 0.052". I did measure the cc, deck, piston height, rod length, cylinder length, all that. I can't even switch pistons and rods because they are all dead nuts on! The head ccs are 53/53 in one head and 54.2/53 in the other. All said, each cylinder is only 0.1 difference, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7. But I can't have uneven cylinders because the heads won't seal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: