Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty trailer hitch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
timichango wrote:

Ultimately, with trailers, you've really got a few things to worry about when evaluating safe towing capacity:

1) the vehicle's capacity to actually pull it without overloading the engine/transmission/etc. and overheating drivetrain components — and the hitch system's (ie. the component, its hardware, and the vehicle chassis mount points) ability to pull that load (linear) without breaking

2) the acceptable tongue weight of the load — too much tongue weight and you can stress/break (vertical/torsional) an inferior hitch system, and, maybe more hazardously, start to affect steering and braking, as you shift the vehicle's weight balance off of the front wheels... potentially leading to a loss of control at exactly the wrong moment

3) braking capacity of the vehicle

I'd wager that #1, and any hitch system breakage issues are likely well solved by most of the sturdier options (gowesty, RMW, burley), but #2 and #3 would concern me greatly in evaluating a given towing load for the van.

Being an old guy, I have a little towing experience.

Tongue weight is supposed to be 10-15% of the load. A class III hitch is rated to be 600 lbs load rating, and 6000 tow rating. **Edit** - some "class III hitches may be rated only 400/4000, like for smaller cars. Also, 600/6000 hitches may be rated to 1000/10,000 when used with a load equalizing hitch.

That all doesn't matter though, as the transmission (manual or automatic without additional cooling), engine, and braking would limit FAR before that limit, IMHO.

That's why I'm OK with the GoWesty. The hitch itself is strong enough, and that will not be what breaks at a class III load. But the connection points are non-standard, not fully bolted to the frame in a traditional way. I can't speak for the others, such as RMW, but I gather they have a better connection).

If you call the GoWesty a class II, even though it has a 2" receiver, not a 1 1/4" receiver like class II's typically have, it would be good for 2000 lbs of towing and a 200 lb. tongue weight. Anything above that would need trailer braking anyway. So it ALL depends on what you want to tow and how much you are willing to stress the engine, attachment points(if non-standard), and transmission.

Typically, all hitch manufacturers warn people that the hitch specs are NOT necessarily the tow spec, due to the limitations of the tow vehicles. If someone ever saw a tow spec for the Vanagon, please post!

^ That's a load (har har, pun intended) of good information there. Somebody should make a sticky!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

I installed my GoWesty trailer hitch last night. I went with it because I have a stock 1.9l engine and plan on using it just for my 4-bike Yakima Full-swing.

Installation went very well. I was however a little disappointed to find a couple of places where the powdercoat had chipped off. It seemed like it was shipped well so I believe the damage was already there
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I installed my GoWesty trailer hitch last night. I went with it because I have a stock 1.9l engine and plan on using it just for my 4-bike Yakima Full-swing.

Installation went very well. I was however a little disappointed to find a couple of places where the powdercoat had chipped off. It seemed like it was shipped well so I believe the damage was already there

Keep an eye on the sag in the tow hooks. If you hang 4 downhill mtb's on there it's actually quite a load.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

Keep an eye on the sag in the tow hooks. If you hang 4 downhill mtb's on there it's actually quite a load.

Thanks. Good to know. Gives me a reason to invest in carbon fiber full suspension Laughing !

I also plan on doing a Yakima Roof Rack. If I do have 4 bikes, should I think about putting a strap around the bars to help the bike rack? I think I would be scared since the bars will be on a Westy pop top.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

ditto on this. I actually have the same setup--GW hitch and Yakima Full Swing. The Yakima rack itself is an absolute heavy beast, but that coupled with 4 bikes is quite a load for this hitch. I've always felt like it was a bit too much stress on the hitch. Coincidentally, I've recently started the search for a new bumper setup with integrated hitch so that I can have the peace-of-mind.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

ditto on this. I actually have the same setup--GW hitch and Yakima Full Swing. The Yakima rack itself is an absolute heavy beast, but that coupled with 4 bikes is quite a load for this hitch. I've always felt like it was a bit too much stress on the hitch. Coincidentally, I've recently started the search for a new bumper setup with integrated hitch so that I can have the peace-of-mind.

About two years ago I sold my GW hitch and swapped it out for an RMW bumper to feel more secure with a load. The GW hitch seems to be a 3/4 solution. It worked fine but left me wanting when putting a bike rack load on it.

The GW hitch may work fine forever, or one may choose to install something that mounts to the “frame” of the vehicle. Both are reasonable options. The GW price is very attractive.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
porterbrown wrote:
jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

About two years ago I sold my GW hitch and swapped it out for an RMW bumper to feel more secure with a load. The GW hitch seems to be a 3/4 solution. It worked fine but left me wanting when putting a bike rack load on it.

The GW hitch may work fine forever, or one may choose to install something that mounts to the “frame” of the vehicle. Both are reasonable options. The GW price is very attractive.

How much more stable does a RMW bumper/hitch feel--compared to the GW hitch? Night and day?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
porterbrown wrote:
jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

How much more stable does a RMW bumper/hitch feel--compared to the GW hitch? Night and day?

To be fair, I have never had a RMW integrated hitch\bumper, but the integrated units I've fab'd through the years are indeed, night and day over a tow loop bolted receiver. I'd imagine theirs would feel equally stable.

J
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

The GoWesty hitch attaches to the moustache bar. Has it always been this way.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
The GoWesty hitch attaches to the moustache bar. Has it always been this way.

Yes it has always been that way. See page 1 of this thread.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
porterbrown wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
porterbrown wrote:
jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

To be fair, I have never had a RMW integrated hitch\bumper, but the integrated units I've fab'd through the years are indeed, night and day over a tow loop bolted receiver. I'd imagine theirs would feel equally stable.

J

It is a big difference. The RMW bumper hitch is bolted directly to the van. The GW bolts to the tow loops and moustach bar which both flex. Perhaps not night and day but certainly noticeable.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

Finally put my Yakima Full Swing on. I had my trek hard tail and my brothers carbon yeti full suspension on the GoWesty hitch/ Yakima full swing.

It was kinda disappointing. I mean two bikes was causing it to bounce quite a bit. I couldn't imagine loading this rack down with 4 bikes without using a top reinforcement on the rear hatch. Speaking of which - does anyone have a good setup for grabbing the top of the hatch without causing any damage to the hatch?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

What about a flat hook strap. Something like this. A lot of times the hook is rubber coated but I bet you could wrap it with something

Keeper 04623 27' x 2" Heavy Duty Ratchet Tie-Down with Flat Hooks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YU0OK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AbhSAbZ4VHC5M
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Finally put my Yakima Full Swing on. I had my trek hard tail and my brothers carbon yeti full suspension on the GoWesty hitch/ Yakima full swing.

It was kinda disappointing. I mean two bikes was causing it to bounce quite a bit. I couldn't imagine loading this rack down with 4 bikes without using a top reinforcement on the rear hatch. Speaking of which - does anyone have a good setup for grabbing the top of the hatch without causing any damage to the hatch?

Which do you think was more of the issue: the GW hitch or the Yak Full Swing? Which GW hitch is yours? The 100# or 400# tongue weight hitch?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

Definitely the hitch. I've had this rack fully loaded on my Isuzu Rodeo and it does really good. It's just bouncing on the toe hooks. I knew a lot of people recommended the Burley but damn I figured I could get away with this since GoWesty sells a similar Yakima rack to the full swing.

Not a huge deal. But 3 bikes max for me. Also in the photo the bikes were spaced out. That is because I didn't want any rubbing my $500 bike against my brothers $4000 bike.

I just bought my hitch from GoWesty. It's the 100#
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
What about a flat hook strap. Something like this. A lot of times the hook is rubber coated but I bet you could wrap it with something

Keeper 04623 27' x 2" Heavy Duty Ratchet Tie-Down with Flat Hooks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YU0OK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AbhSAbZ4VHC5M

The GW swingaway universal carrier is stabilized with a hook to the top of the hatch. Perhaps not as much of a load but I think it’s reasonable to stabilize your rack with a hook to the top of the hatch.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/swing-away-carrier-...ay-arm-?v=

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: